$35 Backup Camera and Mirror Install

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
I have older versions of these sitting around for +2 years. Figure I make use of them to help with resale of car. I must say, I should have done this a long time ago...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Camera on hatch. OEM placement b/c the backside has access and weather covering.
NVpjYbP.jpg

You cannot see the lines separating the screen from the glass when the LCD mirror is off (unless you look REALLY close, can see a hint of a faint hairline).
At first, I thought the back-up lines are useless unless they turn with the steering wheel. But when dark/low light, it becomes very useful to gauge "my" bumper line! Reverse light lights up the car behind you but my bumper can be hard to see so the lines help me gauge. Instead of using the standard (weak) spring loaded clip on (can fall of or shift in the event of a big bump), I use 4 self tapping screws. Note that the screen is significantly wider than the OEM mirror, which is great for interior wide angle view (can see 2nd row kids heads). It is also tinted and on top of my 35% 3M tint, it is perfectly visible during day and night (glare reduction). You need to be mindful not to obstruct the sun visors from open/close when you hard mount it. This mirror now comes with blue tint for those who don't have tint (or want to be kewl).
vnrNMQr.jpg

If you want to use the reverse light to power the camera, the wire is "Red with Blue stripe". When you remove the top rear hatch door trim, you will find one just like it - expect it is NOT. I had to take out a tail light to confirm wiring and trace it back. I tap right at the harness, right below the rear speaker. I rant the ground there too to keep it consistent instead of short ground to chassis.
sP9egAV.jpg

I find it easiest to fish the wires following this path. You need to fish them individually, then tie (figuratively, I mean one section at a time) them together to pull the wire through. Pre-bending the fishing wire to rough path helps to feed it.
wN4wSfx.jpg

All in all, this is not bad at all for under $35 total cost (+ some scrap wires b/c the kit wires are not long enough). I would have preferred a camera with wider than 170* or fisheye lens but I didn't want to spend more than necessary. Also these cheap screens have dual inputs: AV2 (master) and AV1 (slave). When the screen is powered but no video source, it draws about .3 amps b/c it is constantly auto detecting video source and resolution (PAL vs NTSC). Draws about 1.1 amp when screen is on. If both AV1 and AV2 were plugged in, AV2 (master) gets preference. Now I need to shop for a equally cheap front cam and find a suitable place to mount it in the front. Anyone have front cam install? Any good place to mount it and what are you using as trigger? Quick glance says there really isn't any ideal place unless deep/recessed into bumper, towards radiator frame.

Great :)
I've bought a backup camera some time ago, but is has been lying around waiting for a suitable mirror.
Does the mirror you bought have some kind of dimming functionality? All the mirrors I see seem to be fixed (opposed to the factory mirror that has two positions that can be switched by a manual lever)
I've also looked at a front camera and it seems one of these should fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...a-Logo-Front-Camera-Mazda-2-3/1883701230.html

Great :)
I've bought a backup camera some time ago, but is has been lying around waiting for a suitable mirror.
Does the mirror you bought have some kind of dimming functionality? All the mirrors I see seem to be fixed (opposed to the factory mirror that has two positions that can be switched by a manual lever)

I looked back and realized I've been sitting on these for 4 years.. My initial plans were grander but it sorta faded. I'm very happy with this setup for under $35.
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=133850&tpn=2

The $20 mirror is a clip-on ontop of the OEM mirror so you do retain the manual dimmer toggle. The mirror itself comes pre-tinted to reduce glare.
I opened up the mirror and the inside is very simple; just a LCD screen behind a mirror glass with a clear center portion, which the LCD screen reflects. The mirror is tinted to blend the reflective shade of the glass to match the reflective shade of the LCD screen. As mentioned, you cannot tell there is a screen behind it.
You can now also get these clip-ons with a blue tint, which further (or is that better) reduce glare, or with built-in front cam with recording to micro SDHC.
(example)
OR consider an Android equipped mirror.

The mirror does NOT have any auto dimming feature. It simples has a power, ground, and 2 RCA inputs.

Note to GT owners, the OEM rear view mirror on GT cars has a different attachment arm then the Sport and Touring b/c the base is taller and has a welded on attachment to secure the cover for the auto-headlight/wiper sensor on the windshield. You cannot just slap on a full aftermarket mirror. You cab break-off the arm/mirror and epoxy something else on but that's more work.

I've also looked at a front camera and it seems one of these should fit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...a-Logo-Front-Camera-Mazda-2-3/1883701230.html
Thanks. I forgot about those! Price is good but I don't see how these capture any reference to front bumper line to gauge depth? Does anyone have one installed?

I guess in the land that is Texas, parking is a non-issue but here in the NE, it is an everyday battle. This cheap setup works in any old car (E.g. CRX) so you can cram into some really tight spaces (and +resale?). Having the person behind you freak out bc you are backing up so close - priceless. :D

Two occurrences that is worthy of note/caution. On two occasions, the mirrors would energize and stay powered even though I'm in Drive (it should only get power when in Reverse). I 'think' this happens when I shift from P to D slowly (fraction of a second slower) where when passing R, was enough to charge the capacitors in the LCD mirror. When shifting past R, it does not power the screen or camera - they don't come on. I never waited to see if it would go off. The screen doesn't get a video feed, just a blue screen (camera is powered by reverse light, which is not on when in D). Shifting into and out of R resumes normal behavior.

Last edited:
Nah, Texas parking sucks. Too many of us drive humongous trucks. The spaces keep getting larger, but then the trucks get even bigger.

Back