Best CUV for towing

yup.. my brother in law just picked up an 08' with 120,000 miles on it for 14k.
I haven't seen it yet, but first thing it's getting are some AT tires.

Good rig..... very solid drivetrain and even then lots of spare parts as engine was used in Tundras, Land Cruisers, LX 470s and V8 4Runners of the era.

80018aac16790afae629ad05104bfb1d.jpg

Here is my CX5 2.2D AWD with my boat hooked up ready to go to the boat ramp. Boat/motor/trailer plus normal gear combined weighs approx 1250 kilo. That equals about 2800lbs for the metrically challenged.

Tows it comfortably to the local ramp and on our highway trips up north that take 6-7 hours.

Never had any issues at ramps launching or retrieving. AWD plus the diesel torque are a big advantage.

Here is my CX5 2.2D AWD with my boat hooked up ready to go to the boat ramp. Boat/motor/trailer plus normal gear combined weighs approx 1250 kilo. That equals about 2800lbs for the metrically challenged.

Tows it comfortably to the local ramp and on our highway trips up north that take 6-7 hours.

Never had any issues at ramps launching or retrieving. AWD plus the diesel torque are a big advantage.

Soul red Diesel AWD CX-5 = win. I really hope we get this engine in North America one day.

Th '03-'09 GX 470 is really catching on in the off-road market as well and now with GX 460 prices now going below 30K there will be a lot of additional commitment by the off-road equipment manufacturers as vehicles go off of mall crawler duty. :)

If you want a post '09 4Runner with a V8 the GX is your ticket. While the GX shares the core structural frame of the 4Runner they have different bodies...
-pics-

Agreed. (drinks) There are definitely some nice 4th gen 4runners gens out there, too! Once our 5th gen gets a little older I plan on maybe putting a lift on it and taking it off road a bit more. We've only really 'wheeled it once. That's another thing about the 4Runner, nothing except the Jeep Rubicon can really touch them on the trail, and there's TONS of aftermarket support for them.

Agreed. (drinks) There are definitely some nice 4th gen 4runners gens out there, too! Once our 5th gen gets a little older I plan on maybe putting a lift on it and taking it off road a bit more. We've only really 'wheeled it once. That's another thing about the 4Runner, nothing except the Jeep Rubicon can really touch them on the trail, and there's TONS of aftermarket support for them.

For the price and capability the 4Runners can't be beat. I may put a lift on mine once the air suspension and/or adjustable suspension goes out in years ahead but that may be a while. All 460's come with KDSS... this option was on the rarer 470 sport models. I think it can be obtained on certain 4Runner models... it is different than the X-REAS system. KDSS is basically a stabilizer bar disconnect when you go offroad...happens automatically.

I don't know how you manage that given it's quite clear by our North American manuals that the CX5 can only tow 2000lbs safely and comfortably.

Perhaps gravity is less on the under side of the planet?

Moonlighter: do you have inertia brakes on the boat trailer? The torque of that diesel undoubtedly makes towing nicer as well.

CX5 (of all engines) here in Aus is rated by Mazda to safely/legally tow 1800kg PROVIDED THAT the trailer has over-ride brakes. 150kgs towball downforce is the max.

I gather that in the UK they are rated for 2000kg. Not sure why we dont get the same rating here.

In any case, the law here is that any trailers capable of carrying over 750kgs must have over-ride brakes when towed by anything other than a truck.

750kg is the limit for CX5 towing trailers without brakes.

So yes, my boat trailer has over-ride brakes. Mine are hydraulic (rather than the more commonly used cable actuated) and i optioned up to stainless steel calipers and dacromet discs. 7 years salt water use and no corrosion on discs or calipers.

Towed the same boat with my previous CX5 GT diesel for 3 years, was fine. There was no "tail wagging the dog" about it at all.

Fuel economy on towing trips usually settles at around 11.5 litres/100 kms, a bit more if I push the speed up past 100km/hr.

Last edited:
The North American speeds driven by a significant number of population probably kills any chance of increasing official tow ratings on smaller vehicles aside from full size SUVs. Not uncommon to see a full size SUV towing a 25+ foot (7.62+ meter) trailer at over 80MPH (128+ km/h).

The North American speeds driven by a significant number of population probably kills any chance of increasing official tow ratings on smaller vehicles aside from full size SUVs. Not uncommon to see a full size SUV towing a 25+ foot (7.62+ meter) trailer at over 80MPH (128+ km/h).

Definitely true.

I know when I hit I-80 through Wyoming, I am hauling ass at 110 MPH.

Back