Best CUV for towing

So, the consensus is that the transmission is OK with towing? Thanks for all the replies.

I tow my 7'x14' utility trailer that weighs 1190 lbs dry. On it.....2017 John Deere X738 which weighs about 1150 lbs, always, edger, trimmer, blower, spare misc crap, and usually a tow behind aerator or sometimes the yard vac. So weight is always between 2500-3000 lbs. It tows it fine in sport mode manually shifting. Stopping distance is definitely felt as I do not have trailer brakes. The only thing that really hurts is the tongue weight. I try to keep it around 200 lbs at most, but it doesn't like it. I drive defensively and take it a bit slower usually. Big hills on the highway you can definitely feel. Any more questions? I tow this load at least 2x weekly but sometimes use our 2016 4Runner as well.

Where ae you getting these numbers? I suspect you googled "Mazda6 towing capcity" and saw the review from practicalcaravan.com which states a 15kg towing capacity which is equal to about 3300lbs. The problem here is that practica caravan is a UK based site so those numbers are for the UK. The UK has vastly different towing laws and restrictions then the USA. If you look on that site it states that the CX-5 has a towing capcity of 2000kg or 4400lbs. The site recommends not towing more then 85% of it's limit which about 1364kg or about 3,000lbs.

In the uk towing laws restrict towing anything over 1000kg to have trailer brakes and speeds when towing cannot exceed 60mph. The tongue weight is also much lower at around 8-10% vs about %15 for the US. In the US we are also allowed to tow at what ever the posted speed limit is and can pull up to 10,000lbs before needing a CDL license.

US based CX-5's have the same engine and transmission as the UK but it's the lawyers that limit the towing capacity due to our lack of regulations when towing. 2000lbs is the recommended limit but in a pinch you should be just fine pulling more if you weight the tongue correctly, use trailer brakes and keep your speeds below 60mph.

Mazda 6 has never won a group towing test in the UK, the cx-5 diesel has in 2015, and the 2L NA petrol would be a poor choice, even in a CX-5 with a 1800kg tow limit.
The 6 also has a lower tongue (nose weight) limit in the UK of 75kg, with the CX-5 being higher at 88kg. 2017 cx-5 diesel has a 2100kg tow limit, was 2000kg.

The 85% recommendation is for those new to towing, with experience its advised that towing to 100% of kerb weight is ok. I have towed with a 2013 CX-5 pulling 1565kg for 6 years, and now with a 2015 car tow 1700kg. Both over 90% ratio.

A trailer with out brakes can only be towed at weights below 750kg.

As you say its best to not confuse the issue by referring to UK figures, and Australia is different again

I tow my 7'x14' utility trailer that weighs 1190 lbs dry. On it.....2017 John Deere X738 which weighs about 1150 lbs, always, edger, trimmer, blower, spare misc crap, and usually a tow behind aerator or sometimes the yard vac. So weight is always between 2500-3000 lbs. It tows it fine in sport mode manually shifting. Stopping distance is definitely felt as I do not have trailer brakes. The only thing that really hurts is the tongue weight. I try to keep it around 200 lbs at most, but it doesn't like it. I drive defensively and take it a bit slower usually. Big hills on the highway you can definitely feel. Any more questions? I tow this load at least 2x weekly but sometimes use our 2016 4Runner as well.

200 pounds is the maximum tongue weight for the CX-5.

Mazda 6 has never won a group towing test in the UK, the cx-5 diesel has in 2015, and the 2L NA petrol would be a poor choice, even in a CX-5 with a 1800kg tow limit.
The 6 also has a lower tongue (nose weight) limit in the UK of 75kg, with the CX-5 being higher at 88kg. 2017 cx-5 diesel has a 2100kg tow limit, was 2000kg.

The 85% recommendation is for those new to towing, with experience its advised that towing to 100% of kerb weight is ok. I have towed with a 2013 CX-5 pulling 1565kg for 6 years, and now with a 2015 car tow 1700kg. Both over 90% ratio.

A trailer with out brakes can only be towed at weights below 750kg.

As you say its best to not confuse the issue by referring to UK figures, and Australia is different again

Right, I forgot that the gas engine in UK is a 2L, which is not sufficient for towing. Id pick the 2.2 Diesel in that case.

I was thinking of the North American mazda 6 which is a 2.5L only, same engine and output as the CX-5.

I feel like the AWD CX-5 isnt enough power for towing. The 185HP engine is going to be overtaxed.

I tow a ~1200lb trailer with tent + ~500lbs of gear with a 2011 SX4 that has a 2.0L 4 in it and 150 hp / 140 lbft with little fuss.

Now granted, I've got trailer brakes and I don't tow long distances, large elevation changes and keep my max speed ~100KPH (62MPH) but what the OP's talking about should be easily handled by the more powerful, gas CX5.

I am looking forward to a diesel CX5 though so that I can tow long distances and with elevation changes with far more ease in the future.

Just gonna put this out there.
Once you're up in the 30K range, a low mileage 4runner is attainable. You get a lot more for your money as far as power, towing, offroad capability and resale value is concerned.
Less refined ride on road and less gadgets inside, but so much more of everything else. If your 4runner goes 350K miles and then has a problem, you got a lemon.

Lmao.

You're hilarious GJ.

Thanks man!

I tow a ~1200lb trailer with tent + ~500lbs of gear with a 2011 SX4 that has a 2.0L 4 in it and 150 hp / 140 lbft with little fuss.

Now granted, I've got trailer brakes and I don't tow long distances, large elevation changes and keep my max speed ~100KPH (62MPH) but what the OP's talking about should be easily handled by the more powerful, gas CX5.

I am looking forward to a diesel CX5 though so that I can tow long distances and with elevation changes with far more ease in the future.

Hell yeah! I really hope they bring the Diesel engine to the next FR Mazda 6, but something tells me they wont.

It is an awesome Diesel engine.. 310ft/lb from barely 2000rpm sounds like lots of fun to me. As with the 2.5L gas engine, the transmission is finely calibrated to the Diesel with quick downshifts, smooth upshifts and a relaxed personality when casually moving through the gears. The rev-matched throttle blipping when downshifting the 2.5L is fantastic.. The exhaust already flows pretty nice for stock on the 2.5Ls but it has more engine sound that is really apparent revving to 3500+ on the highway. The snorty, large displacement 2.5 sounds good even with 87 fuel, but man this terrible ethanol blend 87 gas is so bad.. I like the 2.5s steady response and linear pull to 6000 rpm compared to the Diesel where power tapers off past 4000rpm unless you have a tune. But 310ft/lb stock is completely insane. I mention the 2.5L, because if we end up seeing this 2.5X motor, it will also be making about 310ft/lb.

I can only imagine what the next Diesel engine will be like. To all you haters and disbelievers of mazda especially that idiot Mango, here they are designing 2L engines making 250ft/lb of torque across a satisfyingly broad operating range, so efficiently that Mazda engineers can tune for shorter gearing without sacrificing fuel economy - the result of a constant 250 or 300ft/lb throughout the powerband in Gasoline engines. Seeing the quality and The overall fit and finish, materials, ergonomics in the CX-9 it is all excellent especially considering that this car is 40K. Ive heard of someone on this forum choosing the CX-9 over some sort of much more expensive SUV, like a jaguar or something and just pocket the 40-50k savings. I understand why someone would want to do that. I am very much looking forward to Mazda enter the luxury market for real now with a RWD car.. this car will be absolutely brilliant based on the strides this company has been finally making. They were consistent, focused on their idea of driving fun without sacrificing everyday comfort and their efforts paid off.

Last edited:
Thanks man!

Hell yeah! I really hope they bring the Diesel engine to the next FR Mazda 6, but something tells me they won’t.

It is an awesome Diesel engine.. 310ft/lb from barely 2000rpm sounds like lots of fun to me. As with the 2.5L gas engine, the transmission is finely calibrated to the Diesel with quick downshifts, smooth upshifts and a relaxed personality when casually moving through the gears. The rev-matched throttle blipping when downshifting the 2.5L is fantastic.. The exhaust already flows pretty nice for stock on the 2.5L’s but it has more engine sound that is really apparent revving to 3500+ on the highway. The snorty, large displacement 2.5 sounds good even with 87 fuel, but man this terrible ethanol blend 87 gas is so bad.. I like the 2.5’s steady response and linear pull to 6000 rpm compared to the Diesel where power tapers off past 4000rpm unless you have a tune. But 310ft/lb stock is completely insane. I mention the 2.5L, because if we end up seeing this 2.5X motor, it will also be making about 310ft/lb.

I can only imagine what the next Diesel engine will be like. To all you haters and disbelievers of mazda especially that idiot Mango, here they are designing 2L engines making 250ft/lb of torque across a satisfyingly broad operating range, so efficiently that Mazda engineers can tune for shorter gearing without sacrificing fuel economy - the result of a constant 250 or 300ft/lb throughout the powerband in Gasoline engines. Seeing the quality and The overall fit and finish, materials, ergonomics in the CX-9 it is all excellent especially considering that this car is 40K. I’ve heard of someone on this forum choosing the CX-9 over some sort of much more expensive SUV, like a jaguar or something and just pocket the 40-50k savings. I understand why someone would want to do that. I am very much looking forward to Mazda enter the luxury market for real now with a RWD car.. this car will be absolutely brilliant based on the strides this company has been finally making. They were consistent, focused on their idea of driving fun without sacrificing everyday comfort and their efforts paid off.

The skyactivX 2.0 is not going to make 250ftlb's of torque. Where did you get that misinformation?

It's been scientifically tested by professional experts.

Last edited:
The skyactivX 2.0 is not going to make 250ftlb's of torque. Where did you get that misinformation?

My apologies on that. I cant remember where, but I know that I read this figure somewhere. I just searched up this engine and it said that Mazda predicts the 2L will make 188HP and 170ft/lb of torque.

My apologies on that. I can’t remember where, but I know that I read this figure somewhere. I just searched up this engine and it said that Mazda predicts the 2L will make 188HP and 170ft/lb of torque.

Might be what the 2.5 is predicted at? That's probably in the ball park.

Still, basically making the same power/torgue as the current 2.5 in the 2.0X is pretty damned impressive IMO.

Just gonna put this out there.
Once you're up in the 30K range, a low mileage 4runner is attainable. You get a lot more for your money as far as power, towing, offroad capability and resale value is concerned.
Less refined ride on road and less gadgets inside, but so much more of everything else. If your 4runner goes 350K miles and then has a problem, you got a lemon.

The GX cousin is a good option as well if you need a V8 for towing. I got mine for $32K with just shy of 35k miles. Original owner paid around $63k for it in '12.

The GX cousin is a good option as well if you need a V8 for towing. I got mine for $32K with just shy of 35k miles. Original owner paid around $63k for it in '12.

It's funny that a used GX can be had cheaper than a 4 runner of equivalent age/miles.

It's funny that a used GX can be had cheaper than a 4 runner of equivalent age/miles.

Th '03-'09 GX 470 is really catching on in the off-road market as well and now with GX 460 prices now going below 30K there will be a lot of additional commitment by the off-road equipment manufacturers as vehicles go off of mall crawler duty. :)

If you want a post '09 4Runner with a V8 the GX is your ticket. While the GX shares the core structural frame of the 4Runner they have different bodies.

'10-'13
80-lexus_gx460_arb_bumper_f8e4477d292ac9e007c1837cd0614c6503127d7a_0455f2298cd1c3fa345cedd8ee58838b46adc6e0.jpg

'14+
80-3314932d_2ba2_4ce6_9fcd_6fe2742bdf4d_e767b92897ba74ec60a2102b813ea7a50f5c4a7c.jpeg

Back