Looking to buy a 2010 - 2015 Mazda 5, need advice before purchasing

ChristInUs

:
2018 Subaru WRX STi Limited
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a 2010 - 2015 Mazda 5 for my wife and as a second car for our family. We decided on the Mazda 5 for a second car because our primary car is a four door sports car and we need something bigger (with six or seven seats) for our kids and for when family comes over so that we can comfortably go around town, do long drives, be easy to park, yet still be sporty and fun to drive.

Also to shorten that list, we're looking for either Touring or Grand Touring models, preferably the white exterior color, but red would be okay as well, both with the sand/beige interior color) with around 20,000 - 70,000 miles and we're looking to spend anywhere between $9,000 and $10,000 in purchase price.

So the reason I said 2010 was because it was the last model of the first gen and Grand Touring models came with the Navigation system (which we'll want) and it had the better design imho. However, the engine is the older 2.3 (not sure if the same transmission carried over to the second gen) and the suspension might already have issues with a car this old.

As for the 2012 - 2015 models, it has the newer 2.5 engine, and some updates, however it has that smiley face but the Touring and Grand Touring models with the side skirts and rear spoiler look pretty sharp.

Currently dealers have been asking anywhere from $13,000 to $17,000 for 2012+ low mileage Touring and Grand Touring examples, but is that overpriced, or is reasonable to ask $9,000 to $10,000 for low mileage examples of the second gen models?

The reason I want to keep it at my price range is because I want to add the following items that would cost another $2,000 at least:
- Full service check including engine compression test
- Mazda (or aftermarket) rear DVD navigation system (we prefer this over the iPad solution since it's better integrated).
- Aftermarket head unit with Apple CarPlay which includes navigation. Also we would want a backup camera installed (sadly the 2012 - 2015 Mazda 5 didn't come with either option).
- Mazda extended warranty

We would prefer the 2012+ second gen models, but what problems should we expect with either gen and which gen would be the better choice for my criteria? Also, what mileage would be acceptable and is my budget reasonable for what I'm looking for?

Thanks so much for all your help. :)

Last edited:
The lower the mileage the better. Dont limit yourself to particular years because finding an older model with low mileage that was well maintained is possible. I suggest sticking to a manual transmission, manual mazdas are very easy to drive and learn on, more efficient and more reliable.

My suggestion is not to limit yourself to any particular colour combo. Extend your search for anything and find the best deal, best condition, lowest mileage and particularly one that burns no oil and has a strong motor. Keep you options open.

Thanks for the reply, I personally would love a manual car as my car is a manual performance car, but my wife doesn't know how to drive manual yet and she's just learning to drive as well, so this will be her first car and automatic is just an easier option for her.

That said, yes we'll keep our options open for older model cars if the mileage is low, however if we're going to have this car for a while the color combo does help.

Anything major that we should be looking out for when buying this car though?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I personally would love a manual car as my car is a manual performance car, but my wife doesn't know how to drive manual yet and she's just learning to drive as well, so this will be her first car and automatic is just an easier option for her.

That said, yes we'll keep our options open for older model cars if the mileage is low, however if we're going to have this car for a while the color combo does help.

Anything major that we should be looking out for when buying this car though?

Thanks again!

- suspension. Have it inspected if the car has closer to 60k Miles on it

-ensure engine runs quiet and smooth

-make sure transmission downshifts and upshifts smoothly during full throttle

-change oil every 5k Miles, keep up with maintenance and the car will be reliable. Be sure to change transmission fluid with some redline ATF at 60k miles.

The car is decent, but suspension is from a Mazda 3 and therefore overtaxed.

Okay sounds good, I'll ask for a suspension check as well as an engine/compression test. A Mazda dealer should be able to do both right?

Okay sounds good, I'll ask for a suspension check as well as an engine/compression test. A Mazda dealer should be able to do both right?

Probably. A compression check is not necessary, the engine should just sound healthy and rev to redline smoothly with no issues. If you push down on the front and back of the car hard enough to make the strut compress, it should pop right back up with no issues. If it wobbles around a little before settling, the suspension needs to be checked.

Just make sure the oil is clean, tires are good with even wear, brakes are ok, fluids stuff like that.

Personally, Id stay away from the dealer unless the one in your area is well rated. Stick to a good mechanic instead.

Too bad you are far away.
I'd not mind selling my 5, wann get Nessan Leaf (drive2)

We also have a 16 WRX in the family. We have owned our 2012 Mazda5 since brand new (june of 2011). Thus it is 6+ years old and has 84K miles.

Normal Maintenance:
- I have done all my own oil changes.
-Changed trans fluid once
-Changed filters twice
-Changed front brakes once. Car needs rear brakes now.
-Changed battery once.
-Changed all 4 tires once.

It has been very reliable, as it is our road trip + family visits in town car.

Only issues we have is door lock actuators in the hatch and passenger side died. Now at 85K miles, front shocks are leaking.

We bought ours new for $19850.

Hey everyone,
we need something bigger (with six or seven seats) for our kids and for when family comes over so that we can comfortably go around town, do long drives, be easy to park, yet still be sporty and fun to drive.
Make sure your whole family goes to look at the car and sit in it together. The 5 will only seat 6 and the 3rd row is only for kids or very small adults. Also keep in mind that with the 3rd row up the trunk is barely deep enough to fit a gallon of milk. A traditional minivan would be a much better fit for long trips in all 3 rows but for in-town driving or longer trips with 4 people the 5 is excellent.

Make sure your whole family goes to look at the car and sit in it together. The 5 will only seat 6 and the 3rd row is only for kids or very small adults. Also keep in mind that with the 3rd row up the trunk is barely deep enough to fit a gallon of milk. A traditional minivan would be a much better fit for long trips in all 3 rows but for in-town driving or longer trips with 4 people the 5 is excellent.

No, with all 6 seats up, it will fit 2 gallons of milk and 3 grocery bags. I have done it! ;)

In opposition to what the 1st reply said, don't be afraid of mileage. High mileage cars that are still pretty new generally see tons of low-stress highway driving which causes much less powertrain and suspension wear than stop-n-go right-then-left-then-right city driving. Obviously things like wheel bearings have a mileage limit because they can only turn so many times, but other than that, and the driver's seat, really most wear parts are happier driving a mile on the freeway than through a neighborhood.

I like how specific you are regarding your search. You may need to befriend an auto broker who will search nationwide auto auctions looking specifically for your car. That's how I got mine. Its been more reliable than any of my Hondas, but not as much as the Subarus or oddly, the Volvo which is a bit of an anomaly, but hey I'll take it. Regarding the Mazda5, little things are going to break. Fact of life. The little things are where Mazda cut corners to compensate for not selling 250K sedans/week. But the big things generally don't. Sure there was a summer when 3-4 members said theirs caught fire and I have read of a couple that threw piston rods and I think a couple 4-speed automatics have died, but you always remember the disasters. They are newsworthy. No one remembers the 150K mile car that almost never saw a mechanic.

Love my 2012 Touring. I bought it a year and a half ago with 27K miles. I paid $12,500 back then. The smiley face front end took a while to grow on me...I have the silver with black interior. My ideal would be a grand touring because I prefer leather and heated mirrors. I changed out the head unit and installed front and rear cameras for parking. If you’re a fan of the 12+ model, the 12’s don’t have the turn signal indicators on the rear view mirrors. I agree the side skirts, spoiler, and upgraded wheels make for a sharp ride. I added the OEM roof bars, and prefer the look, but that’s me. I have 36K on the 5 now and have done the suggested maintenance I read here. No issues with it at all. It’s amazing what I’ve been able to haul in this thing!

Yeah I rented one in 2011 before buying ours. We lived with it for a week. I often have 6 people in the car. I also have a OEM roof rack with Thule 21 cubic feet box, when Iwant to carry more than 1 gallon of milk :)

When we bought it, I really wanted Oddyssey/Sienna, but wife rejected those. I saved 10-15K not buying those of course, but I miss the OEM quality of a Tier 1 car. Oh well.

ChristInUs, there's no need to limit yourself to models that originally came with navigation, when you are planning to throw it out anyway and replace it with one that has AirPlay and navigation both. So that may give you more options.

In my area $8000-9000 will get you something with over 80,000 miles, and the low-mileage ones are all $11,000 or more. The pricing you seem to be seeing is comparable. I hope that you can drive a hard bargain to get closer to your range.

If you're determined to go to a dealer, they should have already done all the CPO tests and included that in the price of the car. You shouldn't have to pay extra for that and you should get it in writing. I personally wouldn't worry about the compression test on a low mileage engine; just make sure the exhaust is clean from a dead cold start. I bought mine at 90,000 and the engine has been hassle-free. I agree with others that mileage isn't really a big issue with this car.

I have no opinion about the extended warranty. The cargo net, however, I love. See if they'll throw one in at the last minute to sweeten the deal.

As for the milk, if you run seven gallons across and open the side compartments and throw in a couple of half gallons, you ought to be able to carry eight total :)

Last edited:
We also have a 16 WRX in the family. We have owned our 2012 Mazda5 since brand new (june of 2011). Thus it is 6+ years old and has 84K miles.

Normal Maintenance:
- I have done all my own oil changes.
-Changed trans fluid once
-Changed filters twice
-Changed front brakes once. Car needs rear brakes now.
-Changed battery once.
-Changed all 4 tires once.

It has been very reliable, as it is our road trip + family visits in town car.

Only issues we have is door lock actuators in the hatch and passenger side died. Now at 85K miles, front shocks are leaking.

We bought ours new for $19850.

That's cool, a fellow Subaru owner! I love my STi, so for the six seats solution, the Mazda 5 makes sense as a second car.

Yeah, I'm actually looking at a 2010 now with around 105K miles between $7K and $8K. If it checks out, do you think that would be a good purchase? I think it's a sport model, but it looks pretty clean. Do you think that's a fair price?

Meh... You should be seeing $6000-$7000 for that mileage. $7000 would get you maybe 85K miles around here, and prices seem to be comparable in CA (I'm reading Cars.com). $7-8K seems like Grand Touring territory.

As for the milk, if you run seven gallons across and open the side compartments and throw in a couple of half gallons, you ought to be able to carry eight total :)
I dont feed my kids milk

Then they will outgrow the mazd5

Back