Snow / off road driving experience?

lincolnunit

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring model w/ Premium package- 19" wheels. I was wondering how this thing handles in the snow / off road conditions? I've watched several you-tube reviews, prior to buying, but wanted to see what everyone else has to say about it. I somewhat understand the concept of the skyactiv technology where the AWD kicks in before the driver can feel it is needed.

Due to the nature of my job, I have to be at work no matter the weather conditions. Should I get snow tires?
I previously drove a Subaru Outback, which got me through some of the worse snow storms in the east coast and never had to get snow tires on them. It definitely wasn't as comfortable as the CX-5 though.

You should always consider “winter” tyres, snow tyres doesn’t cover all of their capabilities.

A CX-5 snow tyres is just about governed by the depth of snow that will beach it.

Never needed snow tires on my CX-5 either. Driven through plenty of nasty stuff.

I agree with Anchorman.

Hey guys, I recently got myself a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring model w/ Premium package- 19" wheels. I was wondering how this thing handles in the snow / off road conditions? I've watched several you-tube reviews, prior to buying, but wanted to see what everyone else has to say about it. I somewhat understand the concept of the skyactiv technology where the AWD kicks in before the driver can feel it is needed.

Due to the nature of my job, I have to be at work no matter the weather conditions. Should I get snow tires?
I previously drove a Subaru Outback, which got me through some of the worse snow storms in the east coast and never had to get snow tires on them. It definitely wasn't as comfortable as the CX-5 though.

My job requires the same. While I have driven in snow and ice on my Cross Contact LX20's, this year I will be upgrading to all-weather tires.

I put these on my son's Crown Vic, sans 'SUV', so far so good. Hope they fare well in Maritimes blizzards...
I've been running Cooper A/TW all-weathers on the Tahoe, year round for two years so far, no complaints, except for somewhat elevated noise level.
CX-5 runs on Blizzaks in winter.

To the OP, it's not about digging out of snow, that's easy. Winter tires are about STOPPING and STEERING in time on slush, snow and ice.

I put these on my son's Crown Vic, sans 'SUV', so far so good. Hope they fare well in Maritimes blizzards...
I've been running Cooper A/TW all-weathers on the Tahoe, year round for two years so far, no complaints, except for somewhat elevated noise level.
CX-5 runs on Blizzaks in winter.

To the OP, it's not about digging out of snow, that's easy. Winter tires are about STOPPING and STEERING in time on slush, snow and ice.

Correct. Ive thorougly tested those Yokohamas last season on a RWD BMW and was very pleased with them. I found my car to be dangerous stopping and steering in snow until I put winters on. Then it became a super star.

I dont recommend people driving on all seasons in the snow unless they are true all seasons or you dont mind driving 20km/h. it is not safe.

Correct. I’ve thorougly tested those Yokohama’s last season on a RWD BMW and was very pleased with them. I found my car to be dangerous stopping and steering in snow until I put winters on. Then it became a super star.

I don’t recommend people driving on all seasons in the snow unless they are true all seasons or you don’t mind driving 20km/h. it is not safe.

ORRRR.....

You live in a place that is not constant snow all winter.

Winter tires are a flat out waste of money here. You have a snowstorm, 2 days later snow is gone. :)

So, OP, just depends on how winter is where you are. My CX-5 has done perfectly fine with the AWD and all-seasons in some pretty nasty stuff when it needed to.

ORRRR.....

You live in a place that is not constant snow all winter.

Winter tires are a flat out waste of money here. You have a snowstorm, 2 days later snow is gone. :)

So, OP, just depends on how winter is where you are. My CX-5 has done perfectly fine with the AWD and all-seasons in some pretty nasty stuff when it needed to.

It’s got very little to do with snow. You need to try winter tyres.

It’s got very little to do with snow. You need to try winter tyres.
Ice sure, but out here doesn't last long. If I still lived in the mountains though would be a different story ;)

Everything (snow, ice) tends to be gone within a couple of days when storms finish.

I'm in the mountain passes with snow almost every weekend in the winter here. I can tell an increase in traction/braking even in the cold rain periods as well. The Blizzaks will go back on the CX-5 in about a month. I've ordered up a set of Michelin X-Ice from Costco for my GX for the winter. Found a basically new set of stock GX rims a few months back.

Very nice. I'd say piece of mind - go for the snow/winter tires for sure.

Not every place is Colorado ;)

I run snow tires for a few reasons.

They are cheaper then body work.
They get me there when other tires might.
I enjoy driving in snow.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta

There is no down side. Yes, they cost money but while I am running them I am not wearing out my summer tires.

You guys think the stock tires are good enough though? Depending on how this thing performs this winter, I may end up swapping between stock and winter tires

I run snow tires for a few reasons.

They are cheaper then body work.
They get me there when other tires might.
I enjoy driving in snow.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta

There is no down side. Yes, they cost money but while I am running them I am not wearing out my summer tires.

if you live in a snowy area, buy winter tires!!

Right, but some of us love in areas that get snow one day and have sunburn from out tanning by the pool the next day, figuratively.

Tell me about it, I live in Toronto.

It doesnt snow here much, but the times it does snow here Im sure as hell glad that I have winter tires on.

Back