CX-9 Signature impressions

thinkhd

:
'08 GTI MKV
Had a chance to spend a bit more time at a dealership, looking closely to a 2017 Signature(in the showroom):

-rosewood trim feels plasticky. Very obvious on the door panels, where it blends into a painted black edge(towards the dashboard). I want to be wrong, as I love the car, but I'm afraid this is a good quality fake. Did not dare to scratch it to find out.
-the front vent ornaments are definitely plastic, mimicking brushed aluminium. The dashboard horizontal ornament as well as the top door ornaments are metallic, but cannot confirm what type - should have had a magnet with me...
-the napa leather was uninspiring, especially the seats laterals, lacking the souple touch of true leather. Perforated section much closer to that feel.
-the gap between the front painted lip(plastic) above the grille and the hood is quite big(i'd say over 1/4"). Looked at multiple vehicles, they all seemed pretty much the same.
-the bottom joined front chrome grille ruins the whole look, by its cheapness. some may say it's unnoticeable, I believe it's actually very obvious and disapointing

I guess I am too picky, but in the end you get what you paid for: a commendable attempt at the entry level luxury segment, with many compromises in terms of materials and quality - so that cost stays in check.

thoughts?

cheers,
thd

Had a chance to spend a bit more time at a dealership, looking closely to a 2017 Signature(in the showroom):

-rosewood trim feels plasticky. Very obvious on the door panels, where it blends into a painted black edge(towards the dashboard). I want to be wrong, as I love the car, but I'm afraid this is a good quality fake. Did not dare to scratch it to find out.
-the front vent ornaments are definitely plastic, mimicking brushed aluminium. The dashboard horizontal ornament as well as the top door ornaments are metallic, but cannot confirm what type - should have had a magnet with me...
-the napa leather was uninspiring, especially the seats laterals, lacking the souple touch of true leather. Perforated section much closer to that feel.
-the gap between the front painted lip(plastic) above the grille and the hood is quite big(i'd say over 1/4"). Looked at multiple vehicles, they all seemed pretty much the same.
-the bottom joined front chrome grille ruins the whole look, by its cheapness. some may say it's unnoticeable, I believe it's actually very obvious and disapointing

I guess I am too picky, but in the end you get what you paid for: a commendable attempt at the entry level luxury segment, with many compromises in terms of materials and quality - so that cost stays in check.

thoughts?

cheers,
thd

The rosewood is real. Look it up

thoughts?

cheers,
thd
It is aluminum. A magnet won't help.

Have you sat in a BMW or Mercedes? Fake pleather. Very cheap plastic looking gloss "wood". Unless you get up in the upper tiers.

A provocative post worthy of an Infinity or Lexus snob. The "commendable attempt at the entry level luxury segment" sounds like something you read from one of the review blogs. Another equally compelling theory is Mazda
simply added some nice touches to an already competent SUV to appeal to a small group of customers that wanted more. Since you were so disappointed by the Signature, I recommend you look elsewhere. Maybe an MDX,
I understand that because of that nifty new tranny, you'll need to buy two. That way you'll have something to drive while the other one is in the shop. Another stellar alternative is the Q5. I think the leaky sunroofs and self
igniting electrical problems are under serious review. I owned a Porsche 991 GT3 a few years ago that I had to return to the manufacturer because of a serious design defect that resulted in a number of them burning to the
ground. The point is, for all the CX-9 ankle biters and haters out there, the same can be said for any brand you want to discuss. I also find it humerous that the ones leading the "CX-9 bad" charge, don't even own one. After
you test drive some of those alternatives to the CX-9 Signature, you can leave condescending posts on their forums since that's all you did here.

People buy the Mazda CX-9 Signature because it offers the most car for the money. Like I have said before, we looked at every mid sized SUV on the market. Brand and price did not matter. This is the vehicle my wife liked
the most and the one that brings a smile to her face every time she drives it. The fact that I only had to pay $45K to get that is a win/win. Thanks Mazda.

thoughts?

cheers,
thd

Suggest you do a bit more research prior to hitting the showroom...I bought a 2017 Sig trim here in Cda and cross shopped several 3-row mid sized CUVs as well as some luxury brands like the Xc90, RX350, MDX and QX60 and the CX9 came out on top due to the value for money, features and driving dynamics (this coming from a previous owner of an XC60).

I almost bought an RX350 last year and while that was a really nice vehicle good thing I didn't as when I compared it to the CX9 Sig trim, it was very comparable to the quality, fit & finish and the CX9 had some better touches like the Nappa leather, aluminum and rosewood trims...better yet cost $14K lower than an equally spec'd RX350 that had smaller cargo capacity and can only seat 5 people.

Yes I think you were being nit-picky so it might not be the vehicle for you...

maybe not the best choice of words on my part - my goal was to get some reassurance from existing owners, so I can make up my mind between GT+TechPackage and Signature
I did research the CX-9 extensively and there is no other vehicle on my short list(well, except for the E-Pace from Jaguar, but out of my league with desired options).

On the bright side, today, at a different dealership, a GT model passed the magnet test, so the dashboard trims are aluminium.

will let everyone know how the purchase goes - cheers, thd

maybe not the best choice of words on my part - my goal was to get some reassurance from existing owners, so I can make up my mind between GT+TechPackage and Signature
I did research the CX-9 extensively and there is no other vehicle on my short list(well, except for the E-Pace from Jaguar, but out of my league with desired options).

On the bright side, today, at a different dealership, a GT model passed the magnet test, so the dashboard trims are aluminium.

Aluminum is not magnetic.

who said it is? if I put the magnet on and it does not stick, that means it's not iron/steel, so very likely aluminium. QED

Well you said you should've brought a magnet to supposedly prove the trim was metallic.

Just about every review mentions that these pieces are real aluminum (the dash and door strips). The side vent surrounds are indeed plastic but you can't expect every piece to be aluminum. No other competitor uses aluminum trim at all. You have to go up to at least Volvo and Audi for that.

Your initial impressions are too picky.

I found the materials to be very good, good build qualjty, ergonomics are excellent and the seats are comfortable. Its an entry level luxury interior at below luxury prices and the car is very well put together/solid.

Not sure what the point of this post is. You did not like it and you want other people's thoughts on your criticisms?

OP sounded more of a gripe and criticism on the Sig trim than seeking opinions from existing owners...should've rephrased the posting as it came out negative from the start. This is what you get for not being careful with your words...

If you are really serious in buying the CX9 and hopefully you won't have regrets and or gripes about it - I suggest go for the 2018 MY...whether GT or Sig trim. As for the 2018 GT there is no more tech package available as the safety features are all standard but if you think about it, the add'l cost of that tech pkg was already added on to the price of the GT so 2017 pricing w/ tech pkg is same as the 2018 GT. Only diff bet GT & Sig will be $3K and for those few upgrades over the GT like Chroma brown nappa leather, rosewood trims, LED lighting on the front grille and console shifter area. Other than those the GT would be the good buy. Only other reasons why 2018 would slightly be better are the newer features vs 2017 like heated 2nd row seats, front wiper de icer, GVC, stop & go MRCC, front & rear parking sensors (vs rear only) & traffic sign recognition. If those add'l features don't mean much then 2017s would have better deals/rates.

Last edited:
Your post sounds trolling, but benefit of the doubt.

- The Rosewood is real. You must be used to crappy US or European cars, and even Jaguars, with fake plastic wood on most models. The CX-9 is some of the best wood trim in any car I've been in.
- It's aluminum. Again, you're used to plastic "metal"
- The leather is fine; not sure what you are comparing to.
- The gap is the gap. Didn't notice it until you mentioned it it's consistent, and likely a design reason. (most hood overhead the front)

If you want an a high end luxury SUV, by all means buy one. The CX-9 drives great, had a good cabin, and great value.

In Australia the trim in the passenger cabin is plastic, no wood. But you know what, it feels like pretty solid stuff. It's holding up very well to life with 4 and 6 YO kids. I've seen wood crack in dashboards before, btw.

But to your original question, maybe you are being a little picky. I don't have a problem with picky per se. I was very picky with the following :
road manners, comfort, smoothness, how quiet the car was, performance, safety gear and refinement of the vehicle while driving. CX-9 came out on top in all of these.

The dashboard fittings, the bonnet gap, the grill's bottom lip... didn't much worry about that.

Good luck either way.

A provocative post worthy of an Infinity or Lexus snob. The "commendable attempt at the entry level luxury segment" sounds like something you read from one of the review blogs. Another equally compelling theory is Mazda
simply added some nice touches to an already competent SUV to appeal to a small group of customers that wanted more. Since you were so disappointed by the Signature, I recommend you look elsewhere. Maybe an MDX,
I understand that because of that nifty new tranny, you'll need to buy two. That way you'll have something to drive while the other one is in the shop. Another stellar alternative is the Q5. I think the leaky sunroofs and self
igniting electrical problems are under serious review. I owned a Porsche 991 GT3 a few years ago that I had to return to the manufacturer because of a serious design defect that resulted in a number of them burning to the
ground. The point is, for all the CX-9 ankle biters and haters out there, the same can be said for any brand you want to discuss. I also find it humerous that the ones leading the "CX-9 bad" charge, don't even own one. After
you test drive some of those alternatives to the CX-9 Signature, you can leave condescending posts on their forums since that's all you did here.

People buy the Mazda CX-9 Signature because it offers the most car for the money. Like I have said before, we looked at every mid sized SUV on the market. Brand and price did not matter. This is the vehicle my wife liked
the most and the one that brings a smile to her face every time she drives it. The fact that I only had to pay $45K to get that is a win/win. Thanks Mazda.

I agree with this post. Not only does the CX-9 offer the best value for your money, but the overall tuning and the way the vehicle was designed offers a great balance between luxury and everyday economy, its a very nice all around package.

- This is the deal with all new mazdas. The engine and transmission are finely calibrated together to ensure smooth shifting and lots of torque at a useable daily driving RPM.

- the chassis is stiff and aggressive, but the somewhat soft suspension helps soak up bumps and yields a nice comfy ride. The chassis likes to cruise in a straight line just as much as it likes to go around corners, and same goes for the steering rack.

- I sat in a CX-9, and I was truly very impressed with the interior materials and fit/finish. This is a very nice car especially considering the totally reasonable price Mazda is asking for one. As usual, driver ergonomics are spot on and fit/finish is top notch. Even on my cheap, run of the mill 2015 Mazda 6 interior the fit and finish is perfect and materials scream quality and attention to detail *cough cough* (the American competitors)

The only problem with this car is that its a little bit on the smaller side, but looking at the competition you dont have much other choice unless you want some sort of piece of s*** like a Dodge Durango. Oh, and I love how the styling is unmistakably Japanese :)

One thing I wanted to point out regarding your comment with the Acura transmission: the ZF unit is truly an excellent transmission and very reliable, but ZF leaves the transmission calibration up to the manufacturer to figure out, and Hondas transmission tuning falls a little bit short. They are getting there, and Definitely tune their transmissions better then the Americans, but the reliability issue can be attributed to how the transmission was tuned. For example, the ZF 8 speed in my BMW (BMW is very good at transmission tuning) is as solid as ever and hasnt given me any issues witha about 75k miles on the clock.

Regardless, for the average buyer the CX-9 is still a better choice. I cant stand the interior in the MDX.

so, can any canadian Signature owner confirm their center console and door handle trims are real wood?

thx,
thd

Back