Inventory is way out of whack

Perhaps, I'd be very surprised if they're selling for $6-7K under msrp. They'd be taking a loss on each one. That's would be below dealer holdback.

Truecar works - I assume other sites/systems do as well. I like having a fixed price that the dealers will work with. You can share with them the fact that others dealers met the price and they will haggle to get your business or not.

When we bought our Mazda 3 this summer, the MSRP was close to 25K. We got it for 20K (the true car price). I have bought our last 4 cars this way and it works.

Truecar works - I assume other sites/systems do as well. I like having a fixed price that the dealers will work with. You can share with them the fact that others dealers met the price and they will haggle to get your business or not.

When we bought our Mazda 3 this summer, the MSRP was close to 25K. We got it for 20K (the true car price). I have bought our last 4 cars this way and it works.

Does this work in Canada?

We've always used an auto broker. he charges us 200 bucks flat, and gets us dealer pricing. It's pretty cool pulling up to his shop and seeing your new car parked out front. He'll also get over on the dealer for you when it comes to trade-ins. He's been doing it for years, buys zillions of cars, and has some pull when it comes to dealing with...um, dealers since they know he'll be back time and time again.

200 bucks over dealer pricing for a brand new Jag? My mom got a killer deal. 4500 dollar trade in for a P5 with rust and blue smoke? I snuck one by too.

Truecar has the typical price $4K under MSRP which is pretty good. I just don't see getting up to $7K off. Maybe on a full size American pickup, but not in the crossover segment. Perhaps under the right circumstances you might be able to on leftover 2017's. You can't expect a ton off on new 2018 arrivals.

I think there are more Touring models than GT and Signature in dealer lots because these dealers thought that they would sell a lot of them but in reality there are more buyers of the GT and Signature...dealer in our area (here in Cda) have had a lot of GS and GS-L (equivalent of sport & touring in US) and noticed that they sit in lots for a longer time meanwhile they would order a few GTs and Signatures but can't keep them in inventory for long as these sell off quicker. I think it all depends on the buyers in specific areas...not to say the sport and touring won't sell but I think the buyers that walk in the dealerships are the ones who cross shop near luxury or come from luxury brands and end up getting GT/Sig as they have the spending power...meanwhile majority of the buyers in the price range of the sport & touring models don't even consider Mazda and end up buying the popular ones like the Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Nissan & Honda...

Is stock a dealer choice or a Mazda corporate thing? I would think that it would be up to the dealer to order the mix they think will sell...

Truecar has the typical price $4K under MSRP which is pretty good. I just don't see getting up to $7K off. Maybe on a full size American pickup, but not in the crossover segment. Perhaps under the right circumstances you might be able to on leftover 2017's. You can't expect a ton off on new 2018 arrivals.

You can get 7k off but Mazda doesn't sell that well. I got my just released 2017 sorento in July 2016 for 6.7k off. End of the month advantage.

Truecar gets their commission too. You can go directly to the dealer. True at showed just 4K below for 2016 and almost msrp for 2017. I paid 6.7k below for 2017.

Is stock a dealer choice or a Mazda corporate thing? I would think that it would be up to the dealer to order the mix they think will sell...

From my understanding the inventory is more of a dealer choice as I've spoken to several sales mngrs of dealerships in the past and they've said that they do place orders from corporate level based on both demand and availability from manufacturer. They sometimes gamble on ordering certain model trims that either may sell well or not and that's why they do exchanges with other dealerships in cases where a customer wants a certain trim and/or color but they don't have them in stock and pay for the cost to ship them. However they too are at the mercy of the manufacturers as smaller brands like Mazda can only assemble a specific model at a time (by schedule) so they do release the production schedule to dealerships and provide an ETA and sometimes the sales mngrs would order new vehicles to the point when they're in transit (on the boat) and reserve them if not yet claimed by any dealership in the intended country.

The Signatures are disappearing so quickly that I'm having to look further and further with each passing day.

Well I guess so, but the roads are absolutely horrible where I live. The ride can be harsh over the worst of Toronto roads with my little 17 rims, let alone the 19s so Im quite happy I made that decision.

Ive seen the 19s in person, and they honestly just look silly to me because the car sits too high up. The 19s make me want to lower the car which again, I cant do because of our roads. Looking at these pics, like yes obviously the GT rims look way nicer but the stock 17 wheels are still really well suited to the car and looks cool regardless while sort of just blending in with traffic better. I dont see the more comfy ride and lighter rims as a bad thing, but I will be buying 235/50/r18 tire/rim for next season.

2whicyb.jpg

2uh1w7q.jpg

FWIW, I think the 6 in the bottom picture looks stunning, albeit I can't tell which has the 19 and which has the 17.

In regards to the CX-9, my wife and I extensively test drove the Touring FWD 18", Azami* FWD 20" and Azami AWD 20". Roads Downunder aren't much chop either, but in all honesty I felt the 20s rode same as the 18s in a straight line and obviously handled turns much better. I have a hypothesis that the CX-9 shell is so tight that the suspension can be quite soft and thereby accommodate the 20s without sacrificing ride comfort.

Aesthetically I can't really tell them apart that much.

* having read the specs it seems the Azami trim in Oz is like the Signiture trim in N-America less the wood trim

The Signatures are disappearing so quickly that I'm having to look further and further with each passing day.

Just go get the top spec model. We did that with our CX-9 and have absolutely no regrets.

My commute to work car is a 2 Maxx. In OZ, the Maxx is 2ed from the bottom in a 4 trim level range. And at first I whinged that I wished I got the next model up as I think the car would ride better on 16" rather than the 15" we got. Then my wife started driving it on errands on weekends and now She wishes we got the next model up because of satnav and the extra safety gear. It would cost way to much to change over now, so best not to have any regrets from the outset.

Good luck either way. :)

Just go get the top spec model. We did that with our CX-9 and have absolutely no regrets.

My commute to work car is a 2 Maxx. In OZ, the Maxx is 2ed from the bottom in a 4 trim level range. And at first I whinged that I wished I got the next model up as I think the car would ride better on 16" rather than the 15" we got. Then my wife started driving it on errands on weekends and now She wishes we got the next model up because of satnav and the extra safety gear. It would cost way to much to change over now, so best not to have any regrets from the outset.

Good luck either way. :)

That's what I'm doing. That's the problem, they aren't stocking enough Signatures. There's only like 4 signatures total among the 6 closest Mazda dealers to me. I have to go to the 7-8th closest just to get a grey one. I understand 2018's launched a short while ago but dealers managed to get a ton of '18 Tourings that are sitting on the lots.

FWIW, I think the 6 in the bottom picture looks stunning, albeit I can't tell which has the 19 and which has the 17.

In regards to the CX-9, my wife and I extensively test drove the Touring FWD 18", Azami* FWD 20" and Azami AWD 20". Roads Downunder aren't much chop either, but in all honesty I felt the 20s rode same as the 18s in a straight line and obviously handled turns much better. I have a hypothesis that the CX-9 shell is so tight that the suspension can be quite soft and thereby accommodate the 20s without sacrificing ride comfort.

Aesthetically I can't really tell them apart that much.

* having read the specs it seems the Azami trim in Oz is like the Signiture trim in N-America less the wood trim

Agreed.. love the way they drive and look. The wheelbase is longer then a CX-5, so there is a LOT of space. We never had an issue filling the car to the brim with 5 people and all our supplies such as food and fishing rods for a cottage.

The top picture has the stock GX,GS 17 wheels, the bottom picture are the 19s. I decided to go for a GS-L (essentially a top of the line model without the 19s and Bose Audio system) and Im very happy with my decision because the roads are super rough where we live, and people have complained of a choppy jarring ride with the overkill 19s. I feel like the 20s on a CX-9 are fine, but 19s on the much smaller and lighter Mazda 6 is just too much. I will buy some aftermarket 18s for my car next season.

Correct, Mazda does have a stuff body/chassis with soft suspension across their lineup, including my 6. It would be better if they updated the chassis to absorb bumps like a Honda or Volkswagen so they can then firm up the suspension for better handling with no sacrifices in ride comfort. I like to corner my 6 pretty spirited, and there is too much body roll/suspension flop when you push the car hard. If I upgraded the brakes, tires, suspension and added a limited slip differential, my 6 would be a track star.

That's what I'm doing. That's the problem, they aren't stocking enough Signatures. There's only like 4 signatures total among the 6 closest Mazda dealers to me. I have to go to the 7-8th closest just to get a grey one. I understand 2018's launched a short while ago but dealers managed to get a ton of '18 Tourings that are sitting on the lots.

If you want the car, the inventory isnt stopping you from going out to buy one right now. Obviously the selection isnt ideal with all the overstocked tourings, but what is stopping you right now? Go out there and buy the car you want.

Last edited:
Or get a GT and save yourself 2 grand or whatever the difference is in the U.S. The Nappa seats, wood and grill bling aren’t worth it IMO.

If you want the car, the inventory isn’t stopping you from going out to buy one right now. Obviously the selection isn’t ideal with all the overstocked tourings, but what is stopping you right now? Go out there and buy the car you want.

Trust me, I am. Working with a dealer right now.

Or get a GT and save yourself 2 grand or whatever the difference is in the U.S. The Nappa seats, wood and grill bling arent worth it IMO.

Those elements make all the difference. IMO, it's a waste to get the GT since there's such a small price difference unless you don't want AWD or you just don't like auburn.

Or get a GT and save yourself 2 grand or whatever the difference is in the U.S. The Nappa seats, wood and grill bling arent worth it IMO.

It is 100% worth it. You are getting a luxury cabin with quality materials at a totally reasonable and non-prestigious price.

Trust me, I am. Working with a dealer right now.

Nice. Be sure to post pics here once you get your delivery!

Those elements make all the difference. IMO, it's a waste to get the GT since there's such a small price difference unless you don't want AWD or you just don't like auburn.

Agree that they make all the difference, and if I was shopping for a CX-9 I would get the signature, but this segment is full of family buyers, and families are often looking for a deal on a touring model rather then a signature. Yes the sig seems to be selling well, but the touring models are critical sales for Mazda because those who cannot afford the signature will turn to a different brand unless they know about the touring model.

You have to consider every type of buyer in this segment to be reasonable.

Back