Inventory is way out of whack

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
Looking at getting a Signature this week and inventory is giving me a challenge. At this moment, I will have to travel 80 miles to buy. 200 mile radius shows just 7 '18 Signatures. While there are 186 Tourings in that same radius! The Touring does NOT sell 26 times the Signature. No offense to anyone with a Touring but I can't see the reason for choosing it, unless you go and buy 20" wheels right away. 18's look awful. If you're spending $39K, why not $45K for a much better package? Or at least you gotta get a GT to split the difference.

Why do you suppose Mazda isn't building nearly enough Sigs when they are all selling? I check the inventory daily and they're disappearing quick. I would've liked to use my local dealer but they have a pathetic inventory, just 2 Tourings.

Last edited:
I know when they first came out, they were having issues keeping up with higher than anticipated demand. So much so that the guitar manufacturer they are using for the hand crafted wood trim started focusing more on that than making guitars. Never heard if they ever resolved the issue.

Here a single dealer has 8 signatures. Clearly not selling well.

20s on a family car? come on, this isnt a drug dealers Escalade.

Many people choose the touring because of the value proposition. Its better overall value for the average family, and the average family would prefer the soft comfy ride if the 18s.

Living in toronto, out roads here are terrible. We settled with a GS (touring model) Mazda 6 because the 22/55/r17 with the chunky donut tire provides a very comfy ride over bad pavement while still providing reasonably responsive handling.

20’s on a family car? come on, this isn’t a drug dealers Escalade.

Many people choose the touring because of the value proposition. It’s better overall value for the average family, and the average family would prefer the soft comfy ride if the 18’s.

Living in toronto, out roads here are terrible. We settled with a GS (touring model) Mazda 6 because the 22/55/r17 with the chunky donut tire provides a very comfy ride over bad pavement while still providing reasonably responsive handling.

Escalades have 22's from the factory. 20's don't look at all big on the CX-9. For some reason, the 18's just throw off the whole design of the CX-9 more so than its competitors. It's actually the difference between me wanting to own the car and not. I see a Touring on the road and it's so disappointing to look at. The GT and Sig look like a whole different class.

Here a single dealer has 8 signatures. Clearly not selling well.

Must be a big dealer out there in Cali.

I'm in a heavily populated Northeast coast area and there's ONE signature within 50 miles. That's about 4-5 dealers, and just one.

Fremont mazda. Small dealer buy big sales. Great discounts.

Looking at getting a Signature this week and inventory is giving me a challenge. At this moment, I will have to travel 80 miles to buy. 200 mile radius shows just 7 '18 Signatures. While there are 186 Tourings in that same radius! The Touring does NOT sell 26 times the Signature. No offense to anyone with a Touring but I can't see the reason for choosing it, unless you go and buy 20" wheels right away. 18's look awful. If you're spending $39K, why not $45K for a much better package? Or at least you gotta get a GT to split the difference.

Why do you suppose Mazda isn't building nearly enough Sigs when they are all selling? I check the inventory daily and they're disappearing quick. I would've liked to use my local dealer but they have a pathetic inventory, just 2 Tourings.

39K is really high. You can get a touring with the premium package for 33K. The signature is still about 40K.

39K is really high. You can get a touring with the premium package for 33K. The signature is still about 40K.

Huh? Not even close. $33K will get you a FWD Sport. AWD with discounts. Touring AWD with premium pkg - msrp - about $39,500.

You can't see why someone wouldn't/couldn't pay an extra $8,000 to move up from a Touring to a Signature? Touring AWD starts at $36,760. Even if it was $39K, not everyone has an extra $6,000 lying around.

Escalades have 22's from the factory. 20's don't look at all big on the CX-9. For some reason, the 18's just throw off the whole design of the CX-9 more so than its competitors. It's actually the difference between me wanting to own the car and not. I see a Touring on the road and it's so disappointing to look at. The GT and Sig look like a whole different class.
I think this is true of just about any car on the road with varying tire sizes. I have felt for years that manufacturers design their models for the largest tire size available, and the models with smaller wheels tend to look awkward.

Last edited:
I think this is true of just about any car on the road with varying tire sizes. I have felt for years that manufacturers design their models for the largest tire size available, and the models with smaller wheels tend to look awkward

Well I guess so, but the roads are absolutely horrible where I live. The ride can be harsh over the worst of Toronto roads with my little 17 rims, let alone the 19s so Im quite happy I made that decision.

Ive seen the 19s in person, and they honestly just look silly to me because the car sits too high up. The 19s make me want to lower the car which again, I cant do because of our roads. Looking at these pics, like yes obviously the GT rims look way nicer but the stock 17 wheels are still really well suited to the car and looks cool regardless while sort of just blending in with traffic better. I dont see the more comfy ride and lighter rims as a bad thing, but I will be buying 235/50/r18 tire/rim for next season.

2whicyb.jpg

2uh1w7q.jpg

Huh? Not even close. $33K will get you a FWD Sport. AWD with discounts. Touring AWD with premium pkg - msrp - about $39,500.

Dude, if you really want a Signature go and get one... 80 Miles is not far at all if youre serious about buying the car you want. I drove twice that distance to buy my BMW which still is not far at all if you really want those 20s.

The height of the car doesn't change with the 19" wheels, they are fitted with lower profile tires.

Dude, if you really want a Signature go and get one... 80 Miles is not far at all if youre serious about buying the car you want. I drove twice that distance to buy my BMW which still is not far at all if you really want those 20s.

Not complaining that I have to travel to get a certain model. I'm just observing the unbalanced inventory. They are inventorying Touring's that suggest they are at least 85% of total CX-9 sales when that's not nearly the case. I just find that odd especially since you'd think they'd want to up-sale people for more profit.

It's not just about the wheels. It's the auburn nappa leather, wood, and real aluminum that make it look far more upscale. It's also the extra chrome trim pieces that make the exterior more premium looking. Looks cheaper without it. If it wasn't for all these things, plus a whole bunch of other features, I'd just get a Touring and by aftermarkets.

You can't see why someone wouldn't/couldn't pay an extra $8,000 to move up from a Touring to a Signature? Touring AWD starts at $36,760. Even if it was $39K, not everyone has an extra $6,000 lying around.

I can see it. If you're already stretching your budget to get into a Touring. For 60 months, it's a about a $90 difference/mo.

Remember you have to compare an AWD Touring to the Signature that has AWD standard. That's $1800 or so. You can't even find a FWD CX-9 in the north.

If you're in the south and don't need AWD then the savings is more compelling.

Not complaining that I have to travel to get a certain model. I'm just observing the unbalanced inventory. They are inventorying Touring's that suggest they are at least 85% of total CX-9 sales when that's not nearly the case. I just find that odd especially since you'd think they'd want to up-sale people for more profit.

It's not just about the wheels. It's the auburn nappa leather, wood, and real aluminum that make it look far more upscale. It's also the extra chrome trim pieces that make the exterior more premium looking. Looks cheaper without it. If it wasn't for all these things, plus a whole bunch of other features, I'd just get a Touring and by aftermarkets.

they stock up on touring models for people who just walk in looking for a deal. I bet that most signature models will be custom ordered which is why they do not inventory as many. I dont understand what the problem is here.

Obviously the signature is far nicer, but again not everyone is looking for a nicer car but something more value oriented. No need to get angry at their inventory.

Huh is right. I buy all my cars with Truecar. Get the price, walk into the dealership of my choice and ask them to match it. Try it. You will find that most Mazda CX-9 Tourings with the premium package are going for about 32-33K. Of course, it does vary by your location but I just priced it for my location (SC) and get two dealers for 33K. Two means you play them off each other and with a little haggling get a lower price.

I can see it. If you're already stretching your budget to get into a Touring. For 60 months, it's a about a $90 difference/mo.

Remember you have to compare an AWD Touring to the Signature that has AWD standard. That's $1800 or so. You can't even find a FWD CX-9 in the north.

If you're in the south and don't need AWD then the savings is more compelling.

I compared AWD to AWD. To me, the $90/mo thing is salesman-speak to pressure you into signing. If a buyer has a budget, then they have a budget. It's a 20% price bump to move up from a Touring to a Signature. Whether someone can afford it or not, that's not a minor difference, and some people just don't care to have top of the line; and some people don't care what size their tires are.

Huh is right. I buy all my cars with Truecar. Get the price, walk into the dealership of my choice and ask them to match it. Try it. You will find that most Mazda CX-9 Tourings with the premium package are going for about 32-33K. Of course, it does vary by your location but I just priced it for my location (SC) and get two dealers for 33K. Two means you play them off each other and with a little haggling get a lower price.

Perhaps, I'd be very surprised if they're selling for $6-7K under msrp. They'd be taking a loss on each one. That's would be below dealer holdback.

I compared AWD to AWD. To me, the $90/mo thing is salesman-speak to pressure you into signing. If a buyer has a budget, then they have a budget. It's a 20% price bump to move up from a Touring to a Signature. Whether someone can afford it or not, that's not a minor difference, and some people just don't care to have top of the line; and some people don't care what size their tires are.

I'm a price buyer, not a monthly payment buyer, I was just pointing it out. I don't care what the monthly payment is. I know most people don't buy the top trim. Most people don't LOVE cars. I do. I'm just very particular about the look of my vehicle not for other people's sake but simply because I love it.

Back