Your first oil change!

onlyricko

:
Toyota Tacoma TRD sport
My 2017 CX 5 just it 2k miles in 3 months and now it give me notification said oil change due in 15 days. How many miles before you change your first oil? I know Mazda said oil change due in 7.5k miles or 6 months. How to change the notification to 75k or 6months .

Last edited:
First oil change should be between 1000-3000 miles

After that, change oil every 5000 Miles if you drive city and 7.5 if you drive highway

Do first oil change at 6k miles. In settings you can reset the reminder. There is a chain of thought that factory oil is thicker and should be kept for longer for better protection. Never change oil under 5000 miles. 6000 to 12000 is the range based on your environment.

I am at 20k and my intervals were 6k 12k and 20k. I will settle to 8k or 7 if I find a cheaper dealer.

My 2017 CX 5 just it 2k miles in 3 months and now it give me notification said oil change due in 15 days. How many miles before you change your first oil? I know Mazda said oil change due in 7.5k miles or 6 months. How to change the notification to 75k or 6months .
You have a 2017 CX-5, you should use default Flexible OCI setup and let car computer to decide when do you need to change your first oil.

Based on many UOAs theres no issues to let synthetic oil running through the first 7,500 miles on our CX-5.

Personally since you had missed the reset to Flexible OCI at beginning, you should consider changing your oil at 5,000 miles with Mazda moly oil for more accurate calculation on Flexible OCI.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Owners Manual said:
Scheduled Maintenance (U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico)

Follow Schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions (severe driving conditions)apply.

Repeated short-distance driving
Driving in dusty conditions
Driving with extended use of brakes
Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
Driving on rough or muddy roads
Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
Driving in extremely hot conditions
Driving in mountainous conditions continually

If any do apply, follow Schedule 2. (Canada residents follow Schedule 2.)

Vehicles using Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance

Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance is selected by default for U.S.A. and Puerto Rico residents.

If any following conditions do apply, follow Schedule 2 with engine oil fixed maintenance.

Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation such as police car, taxi or driving school car
Driving in dusty conditions

The vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions. The vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by illuminating the wrench indicator light in the instrument cluster. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1000 km (600 mile) or 15 days. Refer page 6-16 for the details.

NOTE
Please ensure that the Flexible Oil Maintenance Setting is reset after each Oil and Filter replacement.
For maintenance guidelines beyond the miles/months listed, follow the maintenance intervals provided in the Scheduled Maintenance Tables.

Do first oil change at 6k miles. In settings you can reset the reminder. There is a chain of thought that factory oil is thicker and should be kept for longer for better protection. Never change oil under 5000 miles. 6000 to 12000 is the range based on your environment.

I am at 20k and my intervals were 6k 12k and 20k. I will settle to 8k or 7 if I find a cheaper dealer.

No. Metal shavings break off from the engine and get trapped in the filter during the break in procedure which is why everyone recommends that you do your first oil change within 3000 Miles, or at the very least change just the filter.

Factory fills have additives in it for new engines so you dont want to keep it in there for too long.

No. Metal shavings break off from the engine and get trapped in the filter during the break in procedure which is why everyone recommends that you do your first oil change within 3000 Miles, or at the very least change just the filter.

Factory fills have additives in it for new engines so you don’t want to keep it in there for too long.

"Everyone recommends you do your first oil change within 3000 miles..." -show us where Mazda says to do this,please...

"Factory fills have additives in them..." -no crap,it's called Moly,Mazda's additive of choice. Once again,please show us where it says "you don't wanna keep it in there for too long"...

Side note: Oils have additives;Moly and select detergents,etc. Mazda factory oil has zero extra additives from the factory that aren't in their standard Moly oil. Please enlighten us on these extra additives you say exist...

Factory fills have additives in it for new engines so you dont want to keep it in there for too long.

While I can understand your line of thinking for say maybe some other vehicles that specify that, please show where Mazda recommends the first oil change early, or please show where Mazda has some sort of different oil in the CX-5 from the factory. As far as I know it's simply the Mazda Moly oil. Same you can buy from Med Center above. Nothing special.

Please stop spreading BS around.

While I can understand your line of thinking for say maybe some other vehicles that specify that, please show where Mazda recommends the first oil change early, or please show where Mazda has some sort of different oil in the CX-5 from the factory. As far as I know it's simply the Mazda Moly oil. Same you can buy from Med Center above. Nothing special.

Please stop spreading BS around.

Last time I checked, Mazda isnt using some sort of magical engine design that does not need a break in of the internals causing little metal shavings to break free.

90% of the things I say I am repeating what someone else said, on a different thread in this very same forum. I dont understand why when they say something like this no one blinks an eye, but as soon as I start repeating the good words of advice everyone loses their s*** and and claims that I am spreading bulls***.

So how about this. Unless you can provide some sort of proof that Mazdas engine does not have metal shavings break free during the early stages of its life, we will just continue to assume that the first oil change should be done early to remove these shavings from the filter.

Just because mazda doesnt specifically mention something, doesnt mean you should not do it as a precautionary measure especially considering that I am not the only one on this forum saying that the first oil change should be done early for this very reason.

Factory fills have additives in it for new engines so you don’t want to keep it in there for too long.

Last time I checked, Mazda isn’t using some sort of magical engine design that does not need a break in of the internals causing little metal shavings to break free.

90% of the things I say I am repeating what someone else said, on a different thread in this very same forum. I don’t understand why when they say something like this no one blinks an eye, but as soon as I start repeating the good words of advice everyone loses their s*** and and claims that I am spreading bulls***.

So how about this. Unless you can provide some sort of proof that Mazdas engine does not have metal shavings break free during the early stages of its life, we will just continue to assume that the first oil change should be done early to remove these shavings from the filter.

Just because mazda doesn’t specifically mention something, doesn’t mean you should not do it as a precautionary measure especially considering that I am not the only one on this forum saying that the first oil change should be done early for this very reason.

Fair enough, I can understand the break-in period. Except for a Mazda, the break-in is 600 miles.

Where do you keep getting this 3000 number? Same source telling you to replace the filter every 3k miles even though oil changes don't need to be done until every 5-10k miles? Where's your source on this?

Fair enough, I can understand the break-in period. Except for a Mazda, the break-in is 600 miles.

Where do you keep getting this 3000 number? Same source telling you to replace the filter every 3k miles even though oil changes don't need to be done until every 5-10k miles? Where's your source on this?

My mechanic told me that the break in procedure for any engine can take up to 3000 Miles. Its probably not much more then 600 Miles, but I wouldnt be taking any chances with a sensitive topic like this. Better safe then sorry...

I was on a different thread in this forum and someone said that the actual reason why people mention 3000 Miles oil changes for these Japanese cars with tiny little oil filters is because they are dirty and dont filter much more past the 3000 mile point.

Again, Im simply repeating what others have said on this forum, and it makes sense logically so I dont understand why everyone has to blast me.

My Mazda dealer told me that the break-in oil in my CX-5 has extra additives that should be left in the new engine for 5K miles to ensure a proper break-in. I don't know if this is true, just what I was told.

My Mazda dealer told me that the break-in oil in my CX-5 has extra additives that should be left in the new engine for 5K miles to ensure a proper break-in. I don't know if this is true, just what I was told.

not any longer then 5k miles though. the break in procedure is basically done by 1000 miles, and fully 100% completed by 3000.

I'm curious.
I haven't got CX-5 but a CX-3 (but the engine is the same 2,0), where in the manual is there anything about a break-in period?
I can't find anything in the CX-5 manual or the CX-3 manual. My dealer didn't mention anything (which no dealer where I've bought a new car the past 17 years has done).
So my first oil change was at 20k km (I don't use flex intervals but set intervals) and then every 20k km after that. This has been the same for my previous 5 cars (3 of which was bought new), with either 20k or 30k km service intervals.
So far none of my cars has experienced huge oil usuage incl. my current CX-3, which just had its 60k km service (the 3rd since new).
Which leads me to another question, why is there a difference between Europe and the rest of the world with regard to service intervals?

I'm curious.
I haven't got CX-5 but a CX-3 (but the engine is the same 2,0), where in the manual is there anything about a break-in period?
I can't find anything in the CX-5 manual or the CX-3 manual. My dealer didn't mention anything (which no dealer where I've bought a new car the past 17 years has done).
So my first oil change was at 20k km (I don't use flex intervals but set intervals) and then every 20k km after that. This has been the same for my previous 5 cars (3 of which was bought new), with either 20k or 30k km service intervals.
So far none of my cars has experienced huge oil usuage incl. my current CX-3, which just had its 60k km service (the 3rd since new).
Which leads me to another question, why is there a difference between Europe and the rest of the world with regard to service intervals?

You change your oil once every 20k km? Are you insane?

You need to change your oil every 8-10k MAX. The inside of your engine is going to be disgusting. I would run a couple fresh filters through there to clean everything out and then start changing your oil on time after that...

You change your oil once every 20k km? Are you insane?

You need to change your oil every 8-10k MAX. The inside of your engine is going to be disgusting. I would run a couple fresh filters through there to clean everything out and then start changing your oil on time after that...

20k km is 12.5k miles which is perfectly fine and indicated for some regions' maintenance schedules as well as proven through the various UOA's posted by folks where analysis showed no problem running oil for this length of miles.

Edit: Though granted, I'd probably do my first oil change before then.

Last edited:
I'm curious.

Per my 2014 CX-5 manual (but I think is the same):

No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1000 km (600 miles) may add to performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.

-Do not race the engine.
-Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
-Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
-Avoid necessary hard stops.
-Avoid full-throttle starts.
-Do not tow a trailer.

20km is 12.5k miles which is perfectly fine per some regions maintenance schedules as well as proven through the various UOA's.

The oil in my engine is black as night when it comes out and smells pungent and disgusting from 5000 Miles onwards. I would not be going any longer then 7.5K miles without a filter change...

The oil in my engine is black as night when it comes out and smells pungent and disgusting from 5000 Miles onwards. I would not be going any longer then 7.5K miles without a filter change...

Fine, that's yours and you're free to do what you want.

Plenty of UOAs posted indicating that oil could go longer than 7.5k.

Edit: Though while in warranty, I'd stick to whichever maintenance schedule fits your driving style/needs. I do mine every 5k miles.

Back