What Service After The Sale?

Hold on, you spoke to two dealerships who hung up on you half way through your conversation. How long were your conversations with them? you were asking about the difference between the left and right strut assembly? Can you describe the questions that you were asking of the service department. It might help to clarify what exactly was going on, as well, some on here might be able to answer your questions.

Hold on, you spoke to two dealerships who hung up on you half way through your conversation. How long were your conversations with them? you were asking about the difference between the left and right strut assembly? Can you describe the questions that you were asking of the service department. It might help to clarify what exactly was going on, as well, some on here might be able to answer your questions.

OP conveniently disappeared. Whole story is suspect.

So--How would anyone in the service department know you paid cash for your car?

They wouldn't and it does not matter. How I paid for it would only be important to me, as it was cash out of my pocket not theirs. That I decided to purchase a Mazda and not the product of the competition, should be the controlling factor in how I am treated by a Mazda dealer.

Are you suggesting you should be treated better than someone who financed their car?

No. The dealer receives cash either way. To them, every sale is an "all cash deal." Whether directly from the customer, or in part from the customer and in part from the finance company/bank.

Or bought a base level Mazda 3?

No. But, at the very same time should you be allowed to book a reservation at a restaurant you routinely frequent when that same restaurant is fully booked already? What opens that door for you. Is it because of the amount of revenue you've brought through the door? How does that restaurant identify you as a "regular/good customer" and then find you a table when all other callers are told the book is full? In most cases, the flagship vehicle does not generate more revenue than other variants. However, when the customer puts the flagship on the road, it does generate more free publicity for the company that produced it than most other variants and that leads to more/higher revenues.

How do I know this to be true? The last four (4) new vehicles I purchased were all bought as a direct result of being an eyewitness to the same flagship out on the road. And, there is a unique story behind each one and how I came upon that particular car that day. Without those flagships out on the road, I would have never made the purchase of the same flagship. That's the best Marketing in the world - the kind a company never has to pay for, yet benefits from long range.

Companies find ways to show their appreciation for customers at all levels. However, I seriously doubt that FedEx or UPS is giving me the same sweet deal that it gives to Amazon and for pretty good reason - Amazon is driving a level of revenue to FedEx and UPS that I will never match. I'm fairly confident that the Toll Free 800 Number Amazon uses to contact FedEx and UPS about lost or delayed packages is not the same "Toll Free 800 Number" that you or I get. Once again, for very good reason, no doubt.

There's no excuse for bad customer service--but it should have nothing to do with how you paid for your car.

Maybe. I'm only partially in agreement. I doubt buyers of the Bentley Bentayga, experience what I just experienced with my Mazda CX-9 Signature. If you say - oh, but that's a Bentley and that's different. My reply would be - different how, in what way exactly is the purchase of a Bentayga, different than the purchase of a CX-9? Yet, I hold fast that it would take no more than one phone call to the BMC of San Francisco, to get a quick question answered about a Bentayga. You can substitute the Bentayga, for anything you want at that level of expenditure.

It's not merit. It's revenue.

Did you point out to any of them that you paid cash? Because that would make me want to hang up too...(eek)

If they really knew what they were doing, just my phone call would have been enough to motivate. Most businesses that thrive on selling commodities miss the point entirely when it comes to Customer Service. This is why you get a different kind of service when buying a Porsche 918 Spyder, or better yet a Koenigsegg Agera-R, or Pagani Huayra for that matter. Try hanging up the phone on one of those customers and see what happens next.

Or, let's take this to a completely different level. Try hanging up the phone as a Cessna Employee on a Citation X customer. You would most likely not have a job by EOD.

Again, it is not about merit. It is supposed to be about revenue. But, in all cases it should also include Excellence in Customer Service regardless of what's been purchased, by whom and for how much.

Last edited:
It's actually only in the US right now and is being offered by manufacturers like Volvo, Cadillac and Porsche and by independent companies like Clutch Technologies.
Your vehicle, insurance, registration, detailing and maintenance is all covered with a flat rate monthly fee, all you have to do is put gas in it.
When you want to switch to something different, like SUV to Sedan, you contact them and they bring a replacement to you.

With services like this and Tesla and Genesis offering full concierge services with their vehicles, maybe one day I won't have to see the dealership at all.

This is very interesting. Do you actually own the vehicle or is this more like a lease?

Volvo, is probably next on my list with that "Overseas Delivery Program" I keep hearing about. R-Design Polestar is what interests me. I need to find out more about it. Thanks. :)

Could it be possible that a lot of people including us here on this forum just have too much expectation from dealerships/service centers?

Answering the phone without hanging up? If I can't expect at least that much, I'm not quite sure what "too much" means, really. I called back the next day and finally got through to three dealers. One of the questions I asked was for the per quart price on Mazda's Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 fluid for the rear differential and transfer case.

- One dealer told me (I'm not making this up) they don't carry Mazda's Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 in stock, that it would need to be ordered and that it would take 1 week for delivery to the dealer.
- One dealer told me they had it in stock for $17/qt
- One dealer told me they had it in stock for $58/qt

In the case of the first dealer, how on earth do service vehicles at all without stocking one of the primary fluids so necessary for service! I felt sorry for the guy in parts on the phone that I did not even ask him that question. I have a heart and did not want to embarrass him on the phone. You could hear in his voice that he knew it made no sense - yet that's the answer he gave. It was almost as if he was afraid that the other shoe would drop and I would ask the question, but I simply let it go and told him to have a great day. It was embarrassing for both of us, really. No Rear Differential Fluid anywhere in the dealership! Come on - what's going on here.

In the other two cases, why would there be such a massive differential in pricing for the exact same product. They all repeated the name of the product back to me, so this was no misunderstanding or confusing Mazda ATF FZ with Mazda Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. There is a $41 differential here and no explanation as to why.

My expectations when spending my hard earned cash on a brand new vehicle are reasonable.

- Please deliver a new vehicle without prior damage of any kind. This expectation was violated.
- Please handle my vehicle with care when brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs. This expectation was violated.
- Please have the facility to take care of any service, maintenance and/or repair when needed. This expectation was violated.
- Please make a genuine effort to offer fair pricing. This expectation was violated.
- Please do not cause additional damage to my vehicle after it has been brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs. This expectation was violated.

I don't know what others deem "reasonable expectations" but I believe this to be reasonable.

...now that I own a Mazda I basically adjusted and lowered my expectations so as not to be too hung up and disappointed in case ecxpectations were not fully met but so far my local Mazda dealership is fine.

This might be ok for Dating, but not for Buying! Lowering expectations on your capital going out the door is not good management of capital. You have a right to maintain your standards and they should be high enough to at least meet the above minimums I outlined above.

Come to think of it most of us will only get to deal with the service shop 2-3 times a year for those regular maintenance and any other defect/recall/warranty work and that's only less than 1% of the time. Of course major defects and repairs are an exception...

Unless you were like me and many others who once upon a time bought a brand new Lemon straight from the factory and then spent countless days, weeks and months trying to get Managers, Regional Managers and dealership Owners to solve problems that you did not create and were of no fault of your own. I've heard of stories where Mazda bought back defective vehicles and I must admit, those stories do make me feel good about Mazda proper. But, we are talking about Dealers here and I'm just wondering if it is time for this whole "Dealer Model" thing to go the way of the ole Brontosaurus - bye, bye.

Do we really need Dealers?
Can't the Manufacturer tool up for an extension of their current business model to take care of service, maintenance and repairs?
Why not simply Buy Direct from Manufacturer?

There's got to be a better way than this current Dealer Model. It is broken - severely.

We also have to understand that these people who work at dealerships/manufacturers are people like us who also work for a living and are car owners like us and may not be perfect at times...the point is to maybe revisit our expectations...just a reality check. I totally agree that if service is bad that it has to be pointed out.

I walked in on a mechanic who was pounding the crap out of my brand new Corvette once. He was literally pounding on a door panel with all of his weight. The car was being brutalized by this guy all because he could not get the interior door panel to snap into place on the door. He saw me come around the corner towards his secluded bay and turned blue in the face. Without me saying a word (I just looked with my jaw on the floor), he said and I quote: "I've got to fix it - right? Sometimes it just won't cooperate." I never said a word to him. His conscious got the better of him and he offered that little insight into his brain. In his mind, because the car "won't cooperate," he has to cause extraneous damage that was not there before I brought the car in for work.

The fitment of that door was never the same. The air seal was gone. It leaked when it rained. It leaked when I washed the car by hand. It rattled when driven on the freeway. The window popped when raised fully. The interior elbow rest creaked when leaned on while driving. He got the panel back on, but he destroyed what was a perfectly sound door in order to do it. And, that was just one of the many sagas that I had with that dealership over this Corvette.

Dealers who create BRAND NEW problems that never existed before you bring the car to them, are dealerships that should be put out of business entirely, IMO. But, hey - maybe my expectations are too high.

Not sure here but did you try and contact the salesperson who sold you the vehicle? I sometimes do that in cases I can't get a hold of the service dept...I always hold these salespeople on their commitment when they sell you the vehicle that they'll look after you and your business even after your purchase. Though they may not be able to answer your technical or service inquiry at least they can either get it for you or get a hold of someone from service dept to contact you back

I eventually called back the next day and got through to three dealers. However, the replies I got were worse than my inability to reach someone the previous day.

My dealer has been wonderful. Owned 3 Mazda’s, all serviced and purchased the same dealer. Nothing but praise to go around.

Honestly, from a few posts you have made, you keep bringing up that you paid cash, or are offended that the dealer has to verify your identity via your social security number (federally mandated BTW), you sound pompous. Not saying you are, but perhaps during your conversation with the dealer that “hung up” on you, the conversation went in that direction? Not making any accusations here, just stating what I’ve observed.

I’m just trying to understand why a business would hang up on a customer, and it’s usually well deserved. Unless there was a phone issue on their end. Just sayin’.....

Baseless assumption is probably the mother of all error. 1) The phone was hung up before any two-way conversation began and during my initial question about product pricing. 2) Verifying my identity was never the issue or the question. 3) Observations are one thing, assumptions not based on facts are another. I'd spend more time correcting the latter as that would truly help to improve the former.

You sound like someone who assumes facts not in evidence. Not saying you are, but perhaps the fact that you assumed facts not in evidence gave me reason to ponder the question. I'm just trying to understand why someone would assume facts not in evidence and then have the audacity to call someone they don't know, pompous. Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Answering the phone without hanging up? If I can't expect at least that much, I'm not quite sure what "too much" means, really. I called back the next day and finally got through to three dealers. One of the questions I asked was for the per quart price on Mazda's Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 fluid for the rear differential and transfer case.

- One dealer told me (I'm not making this up) they don't carry Mazda's Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 in stock, that it would need to be ordered and that it would take 1 week for delivery to the dealer.
- One dealer told me they had it in stock for $17/qt
- One dealer told me they had it in stock for $58/qt

In the case of the first dealer, how on earth do service vehicles at all without stocking one of the primary fluids so necessary for service! I felt sorry for the guy in parts on the phone that I did not even ask him that question. I have a heart and did not want to embarrass him on the phone. You could hear in his voice that he knew it made no sense - yet that's the answer he gave. It was almost as if he was afraid that the other shoe would drop and I would ask the question, but I simply let it go and told him to have a great day. It was embarrassing for both of us, really. No Rear Differential Fluid anywhere in the dealership! Come on - what's going on here.

In the other two cases, why would there be such a massive differential in pricing for the exact same product. They all repeated the name of the product back to me, so this was no misunderstanding or confusing Mazda ATF FZ with Mazda Hypoid Gear Oil SG1. There is a $41 differential here and no explanation as to why.

My expectations when spending my hard earned cash on a brand new vehicle are reasonable.

- Please deliver a new vehicle without prior damage of any kind. This expectation was violated.
- Please handle my vehicle with care when brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs. This expectation was violated.
- Please have the facility to take care of any service, maintenance and/or repair when needed. This expectation was violated.
- Please make a genuine effort to offer fair pricing. This expectation was violated.
- Please do not cause additional damage to my vehicle after it has been brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs. This expectation was violated.

I don't know what others deem "reasonable expectations" but I believe this to be reasonable.

This might be ok for Dating, but not for Buying! Lowering expectations on your capital going out the door is not good management of capital. You have a right to maintain your standards and they should be high enough to at least meet the above minimums I outlined above.

Unless you were like me and many others who once upon a time bought a brand new Lemon straight from the factory and then spent countless days, weeks and months trying to get Managers, Regional Managers and dealership Owners to solve problems that you did not create and were of no fault of your own. I've heard of stories where Mazda bought back defective vehicles and I must admit, those stories do make me feel good about Mazda proper. But, we are talking about Dealers here and I'm just wondering if it is time for this whole "Dealer Model" thing to go the way of the ole Brontosaurus - bye, bye.

Do we really need Dealers?
Can't the Manufacturer tool up for an extension of their current business model to take care of service, maintenance and repairs?
Why not simply Buy Direct from Manufacturer?

There's got to be a better way than this current Dealer Model. It is broken - severely.

I walked in on a mechanic who was pounding the crap out of my brand new Corvette once. He was literally pounding on a door panel with all of his weight. The car was being brutalized by this guy all because he could not get the interior door panel to snap into place on the door. He saw me come around the corner towards his secluded bay and turned blue in the face. Without me saying a word (I just looked with my jaw on the floor), he said and I quote: "I've got to fix it - right? Sometimes it just won't cooperate." I never said a word to him. His conscious got the better of him and he offered that little insight into his brain. In his mind, because the car "won't cooperate," he has to cause extraneous damage that was not there before I brought the car in for work.

The fitment of that door was never the same. The air seal was gone. It leaked when it rained. It leaked when I washed the car by hand. It rattled when driven on the freeway. The window popped when raised fully. The interior elbow rest creaked when leaned on while driving. He got the panel back on, but he destroyed what was a perfectly sound door in order to do it. And, that was just one of the many sagas that I had with that dealership over this Corvette.

Dealers who create BRAND NEW problems that never existed before you bring the car to them, are dealerships that should be put out of business entirely, IMO. But, hey - maybe my expectations are too high.

Wow, never heard of "so many issues"...maybe either dispose of vehicle and switch to a diff brand or just find other dealers or try diff service centers would be your options. Unfortunately we cannot change the world right? Your expectations are definitely different than mine and other owners and will never be the same as these are subjective same as the level of satisfaction. What's reasonable to you may not be reasonable to me or vice versa. That's why companies have standards they adhere to. If they perform below these standards then yes they have to be liable. Better escalate your issues to Mazda corp...The ultimate question now is - what are you going to do about your experiences?

Last edited:
Companies find ways to show their appreciation for customers at all levels. However, I seriously doubt that FedEx or UPS is giving me the same sweet deal that it gives to Amazon and for pretty good reason - Amazon is driving a level of revenue to FedEx and UPS that I will never match. I'm fairly confident that the Toll Free 800 Number Amazon uses to contact FedEx and UPS about lost or delayed packages is not the same "Toll Free 800 Number" that you or I get. Once again, for very good reason, no doubt.

If you think that the fact that you bought Mazda's most expensive vehicle, that you now are somehow on par with being a corporate account ala FedEx serving Amazon, you have a lot to learn about business.

Wow, never heard of "so many issues"...maybe either dispose of vehicle and switch to a diff brand or just find other dealers or try diff service centers would be your options.

I picked the Mazda CX-9 Signature because it was 85% of the Volvo XC-90 Inscription at 50% the cost - a logical choice. If I have to drive 100 miles to locate a dealer with the right attitude, then I will do exactly that. Or, if I have to find a local Independent Mechanic schooled/trained in Mazda technology with an attitude of genuine customer service, then I'm willing to hunt that down as well (if it exists).

Unfortunately we cannot change the world right?

Funny. I always thought the world was what we make of it.

Your expectations are definitely different than mine and other owners and will never be the same as these are subjective same as the level of satisfaction. What's reasonable to you may not be reasonable to me or vice versa.

The antithesis would be the following:

- Please deliver a new vehicle with prior damage.
- Please do not handle my vehicle with care when brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs.
- Please have limited or no facility to take care of any service, maintenance and/or repair when needed.
- Please make no genuine effort to offer fair pricing.
- Please cause additional damage to my vehicle after it has been brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs.

I (personally) can't think of anyone who would prefer the antithesis - including those employees who work at Dealerships. Lord knows they would want the antipode when they are on the buying end.

That's why companies have standards they adhere to.

I know of a GM Dealer that ultimately was put out of business because they routinely violated those five (5) baseline standards above. They existed in a very affluent, high net worth area when they finally went under after putting too many customers through the grind. Karma? Who knows. However, standards do apparently matter to some new vehicle buyers.

The ultimate question now is - what are you going to do about your experiences?

My gut tells me that finding a trusted former Mazda Wrench with core integrity and his/her own shop would be the absolute best thing in the world for my new CX-9 Signature. I'm on the hunt for it. I hope I can find it. It would be a huge (massive) victory, if I can.

In truth, I would actually not have a problem in paying him/her more than what I would pay the dealer. Why? Because I would know that I could trust him/her. And, that's what it boils down to... Trust. I don't have that with most dealers on the planet. They have given me ample reason not to trust them. I have long (well documented) reasons for not trusting them and they keep verifying my findings and conclusions about them every chance they get.

To not be able to professionally handle something as simple as a phone call is not just wrong - it is embarrassing.

Buyers needs new model. It is time.

If you think that the fact that you bought Mazda's most expensive vehicle, that you now are somehow on par with being a corporate account ala FedEx serving Amazon, you have a lot to learn about business.

Unfortunately, I can't squeeze such translation out of anything written inside this thread thus far. The meaning behind the prose should be clear. A Customer at any level has earned the respect of anyone working in my organization at all levels.

I ran technical support divisions. I ran investor relation divisions. I know what satisfies customers and I know what their expectations are at any level of purchase. Customers want to know that there is integrity at all levels of the company they do business with and at all times they engage that company. When people start receiving mixed messages from multiple business units about a singular topic or question they might have, experience outright abusive behavior from anyone inside a company, constantly encounter irrational and illogical communications from representatives inside a company or the abject failure of a company to respond in a timely fashion to relevant and reasonable requests from paying customers, then people have good reason to not trust said company.

No organization I have ever lead would behave that way. If anyone was found behaving in such a manner, EOD would cast a shadow on the end of their employment, no doubt. The one thing I fully understood is that the Customer is GOLD to my organization - literal GOLD. And, no abuse of GOLD (on any level) was ever tolerated inside of any organization I've ever lead in a public facing role. My organizations were revered for this behavior towards its Customers. The best of the best in Customer Service & Support. And, I went out of my way to make sure that was the case at all times.

Of course, being on the other end as the Customer sucks when you are not doing business with an organization that runs as tight a ship.

The selling of a commodity should not guarantee the selling of your integrity. Organizations that take the satisfaction of their Customers as their Pride & Joy are the kind of organizations that love to support with my heard earned capital. Unfortunately, in America, the list of those types of organizations still in existence has become so small that you need a microscope just to see their names.

Many books have been written about the subject of Quality Customer Service. Apparently, not many leaders within Americas dealerships have bothered to read any of them. Or, if they have read them, they never took the tenets of quality customer service found within the pages of those books to heart.

Customer Service Foundation Principle 101: Every single contact a Customer or Potential Customer has with your organization needs to be positively memorable for all the right reasons. Absent that net/net result - you are not doing your job in the public facing role of Customer Service & Support.

This is not rocket science.

Last edited:
Dealers have simply moved the rip-off to the back of the store. Used to be they could rip you off in the showroom in many various and sundry ways. With the advent of the internet and transparent pricing they have shifted the rip-offs to the "F&I" office and the service department. What makes the service rip off more insulting is that they throw insane repair numbers around as if they are talking about the price of a cup of coffee. I avoid every dealer, from every manufacturer, like the plague. Intregity and honesty are foreign concepts to these people, and yes I am painting with a broad brush and I do know that. In the long run no one has your back like yourself and sadly we have to enter each interaction with dealerships as an adverserial matter. Too many stories to back this up to recount here but I really feel very sorry for people who just take their word for anything at face value.

Customer Service Foundation Principle 101: Every single contact a Customer or Potential Customer has with your organization needs to be positively memorable for all the right reasons. Absent that net/net result - you are not doing your job in the public facing role of Customer Service & Support.

This is not rocket science.

Correct--except that you said that you deserve better because you bought a top of the line vehicle, and not an entry level compact, and made the comparison to the FedEx account with Amazon. Either every customer is treated with the utmost respect OR you pay more you get more. Which is it? Well--I know the correct answer; I'm just curious what your actual view is of the divergent posts you have made.

Correct--except that you said that you deserve better because you bought a top of the line vehicle, and not an entry level compact, and made the comparison to the FedEx account with Amazon.

No, that's what you said because you are having a hard time reading prose in context. But, that's not my issue - getting my CX-9 serviced properly by a reputable dealer.... now that's my issue indeed. The written prose say "especially."

"Especially," does not preclude "other" but it does leave the door wide open for those green with envy to assume they are being excluded. So, which is it - can you read prose in their proper context -or- are you green with envy that somebody bought a CX-9 Signature using cash? Either way, it is your problem to contend with.

Assumption is the mother of all misunderstanding and the great granddaughter of all amusement. Stop assuming. Start reading (and comprehending) in the full (and proper) context given. Thank you.

...If this is the kind of treatment that I can expect after paying cash for the Mazda Flagship on just a phone call, I can't imagine what would happen if I dared take my now beloved Signature into one of these dealerships for service and/or repairs...

That is inclusive of a buyer's common sense not a pretextual requirement of dealer behavior. The contextual requirement followed in the body of the complaint. Clearly, you misaligned the prose and injected your own conclusions - based on what evidence?

Anyone paying top dollar for the best a company has to offer deserves and should expect that at least a phone call would be handled properly (at the very least) as a matter of straight forward common sense. Any other expectation would be a novel rejection of common sense and better judgement at best.

Hell yes - because I paid cash for the Flagship, do I then want a dealer to at least be able to handle a phone call. Are you kidding me - you can't be seriously offering some kind of rational argument against this line of reasoning, could you? I don't see how anyone could and maintain a straight face while doing it, quite frankly.

Cash + Flagship = Answer the Phone Professionally. Period. No questions asked. Indeed, without question.

Anymore questions?

I picked the Mazda CX-9 Signature because it was 85% of the Volvo XC-90 Inscription at 50% the cost - a logical choice. If I have to drive 100 miles to locate a dealer with the right attitude, then I will do exactly that. Or, if I have to find a local Independent Mechanic schooled/trained in Mazda technology with an attitude of genuine customer service, then I'm willing to hunt that down as well (if it exists).

Funny. I always thought the world was what we make of it.

The antithesis would be the following:

- Please deliver a new vehicle with prior damage.
- Please do not handle my vehicle with care when brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs.
- Please have limited or no facility to take care of any service, maintenance and/or repair when needed.
- Please make no genuine effort to offer fair pricing.
- Please cause additional damage to my vehicle after it has been brought in for service, maintenance and/or repairs.

I (personally) can't think of anyone who would prefer the antithesis - including those employees who work at Dealerships. Lord knows they would want the antipode when they are on the buying end.

I know of a GM Dealer that ultimately was put out of business because they routinely violated those five (5) baseline standards above. They existed in a very affluent, high net worth area when they finally went under after putting too many customers through the grind. Karma? Who knows. However, standards do apparently matter to some new vehicle buyers.

My gut tells me that finding a trusted former Mazda Wrench with core integrity and his/her own shop would be the absolute best thing in the world for my new CX-9 Signature. I'm on the hunt for it. I hope I can find it. It would be a huge (massive) victory, if I can.

In truth, I would actually not have a problem in paying him/her more than what I would pay the dealer. Why? Because I would know that I could trust him/her. And, that's what it boils down to... Trust. I don't have that with most dealers on the planet. They have given me ample reason not to trust them. I have long (well documented) reasons for not trusting them and they keep verifying my findings and conclusions about them every chance they get.

To not be able to professionally handle something as simple as a phone call is not just wrong - it is embarrassing.

Buyers needs new model. It is time.

Find a good mechanic and don’t even look back, unless you want a bunch of monkeys working on your car while robbing you of your money. The BMW dealerships can be even worse in terms of customer service, yet those buyers have paid substantially more.

Personally, I believe anyone who buys a car from Mazda, regardless whether it is a base model Mazda 3 or top of the line CX-9 signature is entitled to good customer service. Unfortunately much of the time, this is not what you get. I haven’t brought my car back to the dealer not once, I don’t need the hassle.

If you find a fair reputable mechanic that works on a variety of different cars without an issue, he can work on your Mazda. Japanese vehicles are more logically engineered in terms of DIY intuivitiy compared to the more expensive German/British Marques.

Best of luck with your search whether it’s a real mechanic or the dealer.

No, that's what you said because you are having a hard time reading prose in context. But, that's not my issue - getting my CX-9 serviced properly by a reputable dealer.... now that's my issue indeed. The written prose say "especially."

"Especially," does not preclude "other" but it does leave the door wide open for those green with envy to assume they are being excluded. So, which is it - can you read prose in their proper context -or- are you green with envy that somebody bought a CX-9 Signature using cash? Either way, it is your problem to contend with.

Assumption is the mother of all misunderstanding and the great granddaughter of all amusement. Stop assuming. Start reading (and comprehending) in the full (and proper) context given. Thank you.

If I could read your drivel, I'd gladly do so.

That is inclusive of a buyer's common sense not a pretextual requirement of dealer behavior. The contextual requirement followed in the body of the complaint. Clearly, you misaligned the prose and injected your own conclusions - based on what evidence?

Anyone paying top dollar for the best a company has to offer deserves and should expect that at least a phone call would be handled properly (at the very least) as a matter of straight forward common sense. Any other expectation would be a novel rejection of common sense and better judgement at best.

Hell yes - because I paid cash for the Flagship, do I then want a dealer to at least be able to handle a phone call. Are you kidding me - you can't be seriously offering some kind of rational argument against this line of reasoning, could you? I don't see how anyone could and maintain a straight face while doing it, quite frankly.

Cash + Flagship = Answer the Phone Professionally. Period. No questions asked. Indeed, without question.

Anymore questions?

Here's the issue right here. The mantra is "Answer the phone professionally. Period." Irrelevant what type of car, or how you paid. No one gives a sh*t--nor should they. You literally keep saying it, and then say I can't read exactly what you wrote.

A customer is a customer. Full stop.

Last edited:
Find a good mechanic and don’t even look back,

I'm trying. Not easy. I want one with a "Mazda Trained" background. Heck, I'm even willing to pay them a small retainer, I'm so damn desperate. I just don't want anything major to go wrong where I get stuck being forced back to a dealer. I wish Mazda Corp would just do their own thing. I really do. I should not say this but I would even be willing to pay more for service/maint/repairs if Mazda would just break out and change the game that way.

There has got to be a former Mazda Man/Woman somewhere out here with their own shop and who I can trust because they are trustworthy. Funny, everywhere I go out here I see dedicated Volvo shops and dedicated Honda shops. In fact, one general auto repair shop just went full-on dedicated Honda and staged a Grand Opening last week! What the heck gives! Why can't we get any dedicate Mazda shops like that where I live.

..unless you want a bunch of monkeys working on your car while robbing you of your money.

No, no, no. I don't want exotic creatures operating on my vehicle. I prefer the Humans and especially the Professional and well Trained types. I don't even mind of the Human little experience as long as they are supervised by someone who does have sage wisdom on Mazdas.

The BMW dealerships can be even worse in terms of customer service, yet those buyers have paid substantially more.

I had to call three BMW dealerships out where I live, just to get a test drive of the X5 M during my research phase. I settled on the X5 XDrive50i but dumped it as a comparison platform for the XC-90 because Volvo made it so darn easy to test drive their vehicles! Gee, ya think that would effect any future decision I might make later.... hmmmmm. I walked into the local BMW dealer out where I live (a really bid name around these parts) and nobody approached me for 10 minutes as I stood flat foot in the middle of the showroom floor with that "Won't somebody please hep me" potential customer look on my face. My Wife, actually laughed aloud and said: "Are you serious! Are they going to say anything to us." I said, I don't know honey. They were all sitting behind a desk in their cubes doing what appeared to be absolutely nothing at the time we walked in. I walked outside, around the corner to the service desk and asked someone if they could show me an X5 M. The service rep said, hold on a minute let me go inside to get someone to help you. I told him that I just came from inside and nobody even bothered to look up. He said (and I quote): "I don't agree with it, but I've heard that before from people who just walk in."

The problem I have with the Automotive Industry right now is not just with brand - it is with the entire Dealership Model. It is flat broke in the Unite States. It either needs to be fixed or it needs to be replaced. This does not apply to all Dealerships, however.

Went into the local McLaren Dealership and it was like walking into a International McLaren Research Center. I was immediately greeted, told to examine anything I wanted, told to simply ask for a test drive anytime I wanted, was handed a business card and then told to enjoy my stay at McClaren. Wow! I was blown away. I must have stayed in that dealership for at least 2 hours that day, exploring what McLaren had to offer just as I was asked to do. No pressure. Just exploration. It was a wonderful McLaren experience. Similar experience with Bentley, Rolls Royce and Porsche. So, not every single Dealer is broke - but the vast majority of them are.

Yet, people here are telling me that the amount of money you spend does not matter. Rubbish. It matters alright to certain companies. McLaren certainly understand this concept an they handling it very well in my experience. This was back when the 650S was brand new and really hot. It is till really hot, IMO. Though, I think the 720S is more P1-like and thus more enthralling.

Personally, I believe anyone who buys a car from Mazda, regardless whether it is a base model Mazda 3 or top of the line CX-9 signature is entitled to good customer service. Unfortunately much of the time, this is not what you get. I haven’t brought my car back to the dealer not once, I don’t need the hassle.

Indeed. Any buyer at any level deserves (at minimum) to receive outstanding Customer Support After the Sale - especially after putting on tens of thousands on a brand new vehicle.

If you find a fair reputable mechanic that works on a variety of different cars without an issue, he can work on your Mazda.

I've reasoned this way myself internally, but have stood by my guns on having the Mechanic be a former Mazda Wrench. It is mostly because Mazda does truly innovative things. My goodness - the Rotary Engine as just one example. The whole iSkyActive synergy concept where a component in one area of the vehicle is at least logically connected to another component somewhere else in the vehicle in order to bring about a fully connected experience for the driver. Mazda talks about this all the time as being the purpose behind SkyActive Technology. It is supposed to be about Whole Vehicle Synergy. Some of that is Marketing, but some of it is actual Design Engineering as well. So, having a Mechanic understand that or at least be aware and cognizant of the synergy and connected nature of the whole design, seems like it would be an important thing.

Japanese vehicles are more logically engineered in terms of DIY intuivitiy compared to the more expensive German/British Marques.

This is the first Japanese engineered vehicle that I will (at some point) actually work on myself, doing minor things. Things that can be done safely DIY. I've owned Japanese made before: Cordia L, Eclipse GS, 3000GT SL and a highly used RX-7 GSL SE. However, I did no work on them and was not really interested in maintaining them. I had a heavy corporate lifestyle back then, or I was still in college and focused on studies. So, wrenching on my own cars is not something I had time for. However, ever since my C5 and Viper, I took a keen interest in knowing more, learning more and doing more of my own work. Then I created my own business and went back to working obscene hours each week for years - losing the time to work on my own vehicles. Now, I'm back in the DIY Wrench group again, only this time on an SUV that I really like (my first SUV at that).

Best of luck with your search whether it’s a real mechanic or the dealer.

Thanks! And, congrats on locating yours! It must take a load off to know you can trust someone like that.

Back