What Service After The Sale?

G

Guest2018

Is it just me?

Just called the four (4) alleged top Mazda Service Departments in my area. Two (2) of them hung up the phone midway through my question and the other two (2) had no Mechanic, Technician or Service Advisor available to take my question. Left on hold for a collective total of 41 minutes (wow!) between all four (4) dealerships. Unreal.

If this is the kind of treatment that I can expect after paying cash for the Mazda Flagship on just a phone call, I can't imagine what would happen if I dared take my now beloved Signature into one of these dealerships for service and/or repairs. Not something I'm looking forward to. The level of professionalism seems to be non-existent out where I live for Mazda after the sale. Why can't the service, attention, focus and desire to want to engage me as a customer before the sale be exactly the same (if not more so) after the sale?

After three (3) months of driving the new 2017 Signature (completely alone in the canyons and back roads), I have officially fallen in love with its willingness to inspire fun driving. However, something tells me that this journey of fun with the Signature is going to be dampened by the reality of the broken "Dealership Model" in America. Wow! Such a great three (3) months of driving and ownership and now this shocker on my very first call to Service. They were no help at all. Zero help. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. I'm still left with unanswered questions about the difference in the Left and Right rear strut assembly that I noticed today while checking out my tires.

Anybody else experience this from Mazda? Just total lack of concern and willingness to engage. Almost like doing everything possible to not take phone calls, not answer questions, not return phone calls, etc. Love the Sig. Not loving the post-sale service.

However, this does give me reason to pause and ask myself if I have ever been impressed with any Dealership and their post-sales service? Come to think of it, the answer is a resounding, NO! It has never happened in my lifetime of being a new vehicle buyer. So, maybe I should just accept this Dealer Model reality and move on - or should I expect more as a new vehicle buyer. It this just an American thing, or does this kind of neglect take place in other Countries as well after the sale?

Signed,
Bewildered, Frustrated & Perplexed

Is it just me?

Just called the four (4) alleged top Mazda Service Departments in my area. Two (2) of them hung up the phone midway through my question and the other two (2) had no Mechanic, Technician or Service Advisor available to take my question. Left on hold for a collective total of 41 minutes (wow!) between all four (4) dealerships. Unreal.

If this is the kind of treatment that I can expect after paying cash for the Mazda Flagship on just a phone call, I can't imagine what would happen if I dared take my now beloved Signature into one of these dealerships for service and/or repairs. Not something I'm looking forward to. The level of professionalism seems to be non-existent out where I live for Mazda after the sale. Why can't the service, attention, focus and desire to want to engage me as a customer before the sale be exactly the same (if not more so) after the sale?

After three (3) months of driving the new 2017 Signature (completely alone in the canyons and back roads), I have officially fallen in love with its willingness to inspire fun driving. However, something tells me that this journey of fun with the Signature is going to be dampened by the reality of the broken "Dealership Model" in America. Wow! Such a great three (3) months of driving and ownership and now this shocker on my very first call to Service. They were no help at all. Zero help. Zilch. Nada. Nothing. I'm still left with unanswered questions about the difference in the Left and Right rear strut assembly that I noticed today while checking out my tires.

Anybody else experience this from Mazda? Just total lack of concern and willingness to engage. Almost like doing everything possible to not take phone calls, not answer questions, not return phone calls, etc. Love the Sig. Not loving the post-sale service.

However, this does give me reason to pause and ask myself if I have ever been impressed with any Dealership and their post-sales service? Come to think of it, the answer is a resounding, NO! It has never happened in my lifetime of being a new vehicle buyer. So, maybe I should just accept this Dealer Model reality and move on - or should I expect more as a new vehicle buyer. It this just an American thing, or does this kind of neglect take place in other Countries as well after the sale?

Signed,

I must admit, I'm glad that my 6 sedan has been trouble free negating any need to bring it into the damn dealer.

honestly, I would just avoid the dealership and save yourself the hassle.

It might be a North American thing as it happens here in Canada as well. My Mazda dealership has been the 1 exception and I've had a good experience, all the others I've dealt with have been horrid. The stories I hear from family and friends are of the same level of disappointment and frustrations.

It's the new business model from manufacturers: pay extra for a subscription service so that you can avoid going into dealerships that they've let become an experience akin to having a root canal done.

It might be a North American thing as it happens here in Canada as well. My Mazda dealership has been the 1 exception and I've had a good experience, all the others I've dealt with have been horrid. The stories I hear from family and friends are of the same level of disappointment and frustrations.

It's the new business model from manufacturers: pay extra for a subscription service so that you can avoid going into dealerships that they've let become an experience akin to having a root canal done.

here in toronto, we had a good experience buying the car but fortunately we have not found out if the dealer experience for repairs will be good or not.

honestly, I would just avoid the dealer as much as possible..

That's terrible. I always hear that a dealership's money is in the service, since the margins on new sales aren't great.

Our local Mazda dealer is small, but they are owned by the people that own the huge Honda dealer. Service has very good, I have nothing but praise.

I also have an alternate place for service, if the dealership is booked up: A guy I have become friends with was a former Mazda trained mechanic, and worked at the local dealer for years. He branched out on his own, and co-owns a 5 bay independent shop. I can book my cars in with him, and he's the best. He did the trailing arm bushings for my Mazda 3 at a much lower rate than Mazda could.

Is there a local shop you trust? That should get your maintenance taken care of...Doesn't help you for warranty, though.

How about a Direct from OEM Model?

I wonder if Tesla owners deal with the same neglect. I hear that when they have problems, Tesla steps in with a genuine intent to solve. Tesla, has more on the line in this regard and therefore, probably more incentive to solve issues and be more engaging with their customers.

I've also heard that the current Dealership Model is on its way out? Let's see now, where have I heard that before.... hmmmm.

No doubt, I'll be investing in a Genuine Mazda Service & Repair Manual - if I can find one. Still, for certain work, you either just don't have the proper equipment/tech or facilities to do the job right.

Found a nice clean and well stocked DIY shop not too far away for $35/hr and prorated at 15 mins thereafter. I'll be switching to Amsoil Signature Series all the way around (engine, transmission, differential) for the CX-9 Signature. Oh, the irony of it all - Signature for Signature. Maybe with the Amsoil I can negate some future visits to the dealer's service department. Let's at least hope that's the case, anyway.

...I also have an alternate place for service, if the dealership is booked up: A guy I have become friends with was a former Mazda trained mechanic, and worked at the local dealer for years. He branched out on his own, and co-owns a 5 bay independent shop. I can book my cars in with him, and he's the best. He did the trailing arm bushings for my Mazda 3 at a much lower rate than Mazda could.

I've been thinking about this even before buying my 2017 Signature. Finding someone who was tired of the Corporate grind, very well trained, a very talented and patient Mechanic who enjoys their profession, someone not looking to screw people over and who cared about making sure whatever left their shop was done right the first time. Then support that Mechanic and their "tiny little shop" with everything I've got.

Why the heck can't I find something like that where I live. Geepers. You are fortunate.

Is there a local shop you trust? That should get your maintenance taken care of...Doesn't help you for warranty, though.

Trust, LOL! You have no idea. I went into this knowing that I could never trust a dealership ever again. Every vehicle I've ever owned in the past was the so-called "Flagship." I bought each one brand new and paid cash for it - except my first car in college which was a Mitsubishi Cordia-L, because I could not afford the Flagship Starion Turbo being a student and all. I've been burned by each Dealer along the way ending with a GM Dealer and a Corvette.

I stopped buying "Flaghships" ever since and began buying down at the base level. I figured, if I'm going through hell on earth with Dealerships and Lemons at the Flagship level then I might as well save some cash while doing it at the base level. Bought my first brand new Hyundai XG-350L that way and wouldn't you know it, yep - another Lemon. It had an electrical parasitic drag problem that nobody including Hyundai could solve. So, I was buying a brand new battery every 6-9 months. Of course, it turned out to be a design flaw. I could have bought the "Flagship" Equus at the time, but stayed by my guns and bought down on the trim scale. I saved a ton of money and drove that Lemon for 14 years before the insurance company officially "totaled" it and would not pay for repairs. That's when I decided to swing back to the Flagship level.

The new Mazda CX-9 Signature, is my first venture back to Flagships after 14 years of savings down at the lower trim level. I waited because I thought that OEMs would get their act together and that Dealers would follow suit. I was right about Mazda. They genuinely care about making driving fun. I took a leap of faith on Mazda Engineering, never having owned one before. However, after owning the CX-9 for several months, I can tell that Automobile Engineering has come a long way since the 2004 Hyundai XG-350L days. So, my re-emergence into Flagships seems to have been timed right - at least with Mazda.

We are gearing up for second SUV (to go along with a new Truck) next year, 2018. It will be a Flagship and from all indications, we're leaning heavily towards Volvo's XC-90 Inscription. However, Audi just upset with its newly designed Q7 and of course the BMW X5 M is still looking rather good. However, it all begins and ends with IIHS crash safety for me in particular at any price level. On that note, Volvo probably created "crash safety" as an engineering pursuit. So, it will be hard to overtake the XC-90.

Having said that, for the money spent, we could very well end up with two Mazda CX-9's in the garage. That's how impressed I've been with it thus far. We'll see how things go as we approach the Fall of 2018, when prices start to come down a bit, inventory has to be cleared for 2019 and being an all cash buyer provides more leverage at the point of sale.

Gee, did I just say two CX-9s in the family! I'm really impressed with it and my Wife drives it like she stole it. NOT impressed with my Dealer, however. Or, any of the FOUR (4) Dealers that I've called this morning for help. 41 minute hold time? Come on Dealers. That's just not right. That's wrong at any "trim level" and especially for your "Flagship" customers.

Love the Sig, though.

Last edited:

Must be something offered in Canada, only. Never knew anything about a "Subscription Service." Where would you take your Mazda in for maintenance and/or repairs on such a plan?

Is it just me?

Signed,

So--How would anyone in the service department know you paid cash for your car? And--why on earth would it matter? Are you suggesting you should be treated better than someone who financed their car? Or bought a base level Mazda 3?

There's no excuse for bad customer service--but it should have nothing to do with how you paid for your car. Did you point out to any of them that you paid cash? Because that would make me want to hang up too...(eek)

Must be something offered in Canada, only. Never knew anything about a "Subscription Service." Where would you take your Mazda in for maintenance and/or repairs on such a plan?

It's actually only in the US right now and is being offered by manufacturers like Volvo, Cadillac and Porsche and by independent companies like Clutch Technologies.
Your vehicle, insurance, registration, detailing and maintenance is all covered with a flat rate monthly fee, all you have to do is put gas in it.
When you want to switch to something different, like SUV to Sedan, you contact them and they bring a replacement to you.

With services like this and Tesla and Genesis offering full concierge services with their vehicles, maybe one day I won't have to see the dealership at all.

Could it be possible that a lot of people including us here on this forum just have too much expectation from dealerships/service centers? I know there is no excuse for bad service and these manufacturers should uphold a certain level of standard when it comes to after sales service but in truth most people have higher expectations especially when you equate to the value of vehicle you purchased. I learned my lesson in the past that even though you purchase premium brands the quality of service doesn't translate to a higher quality and this is not to generalize as there are some good/legit dealerships regardless of brand. I owned Toyotas in the past and I got better service from my local dealer than when I owned a Volvo as that dealer in my area was total crap to the point we wanted to dispose of the vehicle...now that I own a Mazda I basically adjusted and lowered my expectations so as not to be too hung up and disappointed in case ecxpectations were not fully met but so far my local Mazda dealership is fine. Come to think of it most of us will only get to deal with the service shop 2-3 times a year for those regular maintenance and any other defect/recall/warranty work and that's only less than 1% of the time. Of course major defects and repairs are an exception...

We also have to understand that these people who work at dealerships/manufacturers are people like us who also work for a living and are car owners like us and may not be perfect at times...the point is to maybe revisit our expectations...just a reality check. I totally agree that if service is bad that it has to be pointed out.

Is it just me?

Signed,

Not sure here but did you try and contact the salesperson who sold you the vehicle? I sometimes do that in cases I can't get a hold of the service dept...I always hold these salespeople on their commitment when they sell you the vehicle that they'll look after you and your business even after your purchase. Though they may not be able to answer your technical or service inquiry at least they can either get it for you or get a hold of someone from service dept to contact you back

I wonder if Tesla owners deal with the same neglect.
No difference noted when comparing Tesla and Mazda service, both competent, professional and courteous.
In my experience, service departments are more dependent on the individual franchise than the brand.

Is it just me?

Signed,

My dealer has been wonderful. Owned 3 Mazdas, all serviced and purchased the same dealer. Nothing but praise to go around.

Honestly, from a few posts you have made, you keep bringing up that you paid cash, or are offended that the dealer has to verify your identity via your social security number (federally mandated BTW), you sound pompous. Not saying you are, but perhaps during your conversation with the dealer that hung up on you, the conversation went in that direction? Not making any accusations here, just stating what Ive observed.

Im just trying to understand why a business would hang up on a customer, and its usually well deserved. Unless there was a phone issue on their end. Just sayin.....

Is it just me?

Signed,

Dealers are all about their reputation. You must have received a questionnaire about the dealership after you purchased your car. Mazda,as does every car company, takes these very seriously.

At the same time, if you have a question that is more technical in nature, I would ask Mazda directly. Most people selling cars know nothing about cars. Most mechanics don't talk to customers and could not answer a technical question to save their life. You are asking way too much for this level of car.

That sucks - can you go to another dealer? The dealer I have is excellent for service - in fact, that is a huge reason why I bought my second CX-9. The dealer has other brands in the area, but their Mazda service is by far the best of of the other brands...

Tesla is bad. My wife's cousin sold his Tesla because the wait for service appointments was way too long. Sales increased. Service was not ramped up. No one else will touch a Tesla. The Porsche dealer woudn't even take it as a trade in.

Aviboy, you aren't doing business with Mazda. You didn't get horrible service from Mazda. You got it from independent businesses with a Mazda franchise. Do complain to Mazda USA https://www.mazdausa.com/contact-us And, don't expect much.

You can try calling and asking for the service manager. The name might be on the dealership's web site. The manager of the service department, not just some commission service writer. If you need to escalate, call again and ask for the general manager.

My local dealership is so bad--for the first oil change my wife made the appointment, took it in, waited for an hour, then drove home when they called her to take the car. I checked--dirty oil a half-quart low. They didn't touch anything. They didn't even give her any paperwork. I changed the oil and filter myself. I called and happened to talk with the same service writer. He assured me that they'd fully serviced the car. I asked him to look up the records. I asked him if they had charged oil and a filter to this service. He got real quiet.

Too bad your having those issues. Our dealership is great. Service Techs go out of their way to research possible upgrades or solutions when I have questions. I am on my 3rd CX-9, and they have been really good with all of them. they even call a day or 2 after to make sure everything went ok..

Back