So looks like I'm SOL on my vibrating mirror issue

Johnny Danger

:
2014 CX-5 GT
Just bought a 2014 CX-5 with under 45,000 miles. So well outside of the Mazda factory warranty. I did get an extended warranty just because I want any major surprises to be covered (at the pressing of my wife who wanted piece of mind), but it appears that "body panels or other body parts" are not covered. Furthermore, it looks as if Mazda's solution on my year and build (MY 2014 manufactured in October 2013) is to replace the whole mirror assembly, which requires BOTH assemblies if you want it to match. I'm assuming the previous owner just didn't notice/care/think enough to talk to a dealer about it as I'm sure the problem existed from day one.

So can anyone here provide any other options? Any DIY links? It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to not have that mirror buzzing constantly.

There's a lot of things I should have done and didn't such as the hood and that mirror. Guess it just never bugged me too much.

I have replaced the mirror assembly on my passenger side before though. The hard part of it is actually when you pull the inside part of the door panel off, not to break all the little white clips, and then when putting it back on, I had a hard time lining it back up correctly with the piece that goes along the window. I don't know how best to describe that. I'll see if I can find the guide I used.

There are some third party mirrors for the CX-5 on ebay in the $70 range. I have no knowledge if they will fix the vibration issue.

OP, the fix in those early models CX-5 Models is to access your door and add plates and bolts to stiffen up that driver side mirror.

When I installed sound deadening material on our 2013 CX-5's doors it minimized the vibrating mirror issue. You could access your door panels and brace that area yourself at the same time upgrade your sound system :)

OP, the fix in those early models CX-5 Models is to access your door and add plates and bolts to stiffen up that driver side mirror.

When I installed sound deadening material on our 2013 CX-5's doors it minimized the vibrating mirror issue. You could access your door panels and brace that area yourself at the same time upgrade your sound system :)

Not to derail, but sound deadening material? How did that go?

On the CX-5....I never fully finished the project to my standards by my wife is okay with it.

Essentially 30-40% (more than enough) coverage of dynomat type of material unto the bare metal of doors. 95% coverage aluminum lined denim within the "plastic" door panel, under passenger seat carpet, and rear hatch + rear wheel wells.

OP...just reinforce the mirror's brace within the door.

According to this:

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/403/driver-side-power-door-mirror-vibration-2013-2015-mazda-cx-5

Mazda is recommending full mirror replacement for my build date.

I am not afraid to disassemble and DIY, I just don't want to be out of pocket a lot of money.

According to this:

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/403/driver-side-power-door-mirror-vibration-2013-2015-mazda-cx-5

Mazda is recommending full mirror replacement for my build date.

I am not afraid to disassemble and DIY, I just don't want to be out of pocket a lot of money.

I think the assembly (maybe it's the housing? idk what it's actually called) on my passenger side was about $100 if I recall correctly (this was back in 2014). This does not include a new mirror it's more the rest of the housing around it.

Here's a picture from when I replaced mine. You can kinda see how mine got cracked and broken. Mirror is on the floor lol.

G7C5iSM.jpg

Last edited:
Okay now that sucks.

Yep. That's what I'm saying!

I guess I can just live with it for the moment and explore options later. Kind of makes me want to smack the original owner around a bit. If you buy a new car and something is wrong enough for them to hand out free parts, you go get your freaking free parts.

I had the TSB done and it only lessened the vibrating for about 2 months, returning to former vibration status of the original. Wife wacked the new one off and I replaced the entire mirror housing transferring the glass. Same issue and just living with it now.

I had the same issue simple fix I did was to get foam packing egg style (sponge like) cut it into 2 inch square 2 pcs for each mirror made mirror go all the way left then all the way right each time sticking the foam behind the mirror, it absorbed the vibration helped a lot.

Yep. That's what I'm saying!

I guess I can just live with it for the moment and explore options later. Kind of makes me want to smack the original owner around a bit. If you buy a new car and something is wrong enough for them to hand out free parts, you go get your freaking free parts.

I replaced both mirrors on my own. I'm fairly certain the mirror glass in interchangeable between the old mirrors and the updated 2015+ style mirrors. But you'll still need a handful of parts such as the mirror assemblies, new turn signal indicator, and new mirror cap (all x 2) plus around 10-15 of the small white clips to have handy in case you break any while taking the door trim off. The assemblies alone were $140 each. All in with the rest of the parts you're looking between $5-600. Good news is the new mirror caps come pre-painted so you don't have to worry about finding a body shop to paint them.

As an FYI, this did improve my vibrations a bit but did not fully eliminate it.

Thanks for all the response from those who have done it/had it done. Seeing as how results have been mixed, I'm thinking the "live with it" option sounds good for now. I'd rather spend $600+ on an aftermarket head unit at this point.

You see, this is most likely why it wasn't fixed yours either. Previous owner, said the same thing and never get around fixing it.
I took mine in as well, they did something to it. It got better, but never really repaired properly.

Back