How useful are the 2017 GT fogs?

I’ve never been in a situation where I was like “these fog lights really helped me out!” But the led fogs on the Cx5 do noticeably light up the lower part of the road close to your vehicle but the difference is really negligible. However, they look badass at night

The OEM fogs are more aesthetic than functional but at night they do make the vehicle slightly more visible to other vehicles.

I added these and will add the OEM fogs to cover the missing hole. I also added strip LEDS to the top of the headlights. These turn on when the vehicle is running.

The price on the OEM fogs is a rip. Almost $300 for the 2 bulbs and the lever.

Attachments

• Fog Leds.jpg
    Fog Leds.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Wow that looks really nice. Is there any way to use that top led strip as a blinker?

Thanks!

The top LED strip is white only. The bottom set of LED's can be made into a blinker which turns amber when the turn signal is activated. Once I get the OEM fogs installed, I will wire up that wire to make them turn into amber turn signals. They will go back to white LED once the turn signal is turned off.

I’ve never been in a situation where I was like “these fog lights really helped me out!” But the led fogs on the Cx5 do noticeably light up the lower part of the road close to your vehicle but the difference is really negligible. However, they look badass at night

Agreed. I'm puzzled by people not being able to see any effect from their LED fogs. Mine illuminate exactly what they are supposed to: just below and to the sides from what the low beams illuminate. It's not dramatic, but it does help overall illumination; a step up from negligible for me, but not that much. And in actual fog, they won't make glare worse some some more aggressive lights.

They sell yellow covers/stickers if you want a more yellow tint to your CX5 fog lights.

The 2017+ OEM fogs are on the weak side when it comes to lighting up the road. There definitely are better fogs out there.

Although they do provide better visibility to oncoming vehicles, since the front end is lit up better.

I drove my custom setup at night for the first time today. Wow, I was surprised that they lite up the sides of the road really nicely.

This video shows the European/Australian/New Zealand version of the true Adaptive Headlights. The US version is not as good (thanks to DOT bureaucracy) .

Last edited:
The second video explains it very well.

Thanks for posting it (thumb)

This video shows the European/Australian/New Zealand version of the true Adaptive Headlights. The US version is not as good (thanks to DOT bureaucracy) .

How does the US version work differently compared to the video for euro?

How does the US version work differently compared to the video for euro?

USA Version:

vnifsp.jpg

Australian Version:

fkr2ap.jpg

The difference is our version, the individual bulbs turn off and on whilst still maintaining high beam. Your version - headlights just switch between low beam and high beam

In addition, the actual TRUE Adaptive LED Headlamp design which Australia, Europe and Asia has, individual LED's turn on and off in low beam mode light up the sides of the field of vision. Plus the LED lights can turn off the drivers side while keeping the passenger side on high beam. It's way more advanced than the US version.

We in the USA gets the lame version, which just turns the headlamps into turns and then can go to low beam automatically. It uses a motor to rotate the lights, which is less reliable since it is a motorized part that can seize and break. The non-US versions don't use motors, they just turn LEDs on and off as needed, so no moving parts in the non-US versions.

The actual Mazda engineered iAdaptive LEDs are found in other countries. Thank you lame US DOT gov't regulations.

Last edited:
In addition, the actual TRUE Adaptive LED Headlamp design which Australia, Europe and Asia has, individual LED's turn on and off in low beam mode light up the sides of the field of vision. Plus the LED lights can turn off the drivers side while keeping the passenger side on high beam. It's way more advanced than the US version.

We in the USA gets the lame version, which just turns the headlamps into turns and then can go to low beam automatically. It uses a motor to rotate the lights, which is less reliable since it is a motorized part that can seize and break. The non-US versions don't use motors, they just turn LEDs on and off as needed, so no moving parts in the non-US versions.

The actual Mazda engineered iAdaptive LEDs are found in other countries. Thank you lame US DOT gov't regulations.

True! But what we've got is way better than nothing.
Til it breaks.

Back