Transmission blown at 72K miles

Join the club.. zoom zoom boom lol. Go to search LKQ online..ebay even. You can get a trans starting at $1000 (or less w/ebay but make sure the seller offers some type of guarantee) depending on mileage. Looking at upwards of $1000 for labour at a shop to install. The chance thing is getting another defecto batch trans, but at least they are warrantied for parts by LKQ. Each part has the vin listed too so you can try to avoid the listed affected vins.

What is LKQ's warranty? Been lucky to have never had a blown tranny. I did blow up an engine (my fault). 1987 turbo Mitsu Starion I bought with 130k miles on the clock back in 2001. Good idea to avoid known listed Vins. That said I think our 2013 has a listed vin and has 75k miles and no issues.

This is the kind of (bs) which makes me reluctant to act on complaints about to mango; people always complaining about someone else when the reality is they are the (potkettle. That entire post was off topic and instigating in nature. And now there are posts on here about honduhs and mango for no fault of his own.
Honestly, I think Mango has a valid point, and I just got an email back from mazda today suggesting I take the car to a dealer to have the transmission diagnosed (even though it's been pulled already and I mentioned this).

No kidding dude. I was simple stating blown transmission are a known issue in the CX-5 and one can look for themselves in the CX-5 Transmission and Engine forum for evidence of that, and someone immediately responds to me about Honda producing some faulty transmissions in 2006? As if that has anything to do with the thread? Not only that, but them producing some bad transmissions over 10 years ago has nothing to do with their reliability today.

And now the thread has somehow veered off into Honda Vs Mazda auto sales in Australia(lol2)

No kidding dude. I was simple stating blown transmission are a known issue in the CX-5 and one can look for themselves in the CX-5 Transmission and Engine forum for evidence of that, and someone immediately responds to me about Honda producing some faulty transmissions in 2006? As if that has anything to do with the thread? Not only that, but them producing some bad transmissions over 10 years ago has nothing to do with their reliability today.

And now the thread has somehow veered off into Honda Vs Mazda auto sales in Australia(lol2)

I think it was less the contents of your initial post and more the fact you only ever pipe up in negative Mazda threads. That's really the only time you ever participate. It's very off putting really. Surely you can understand that.

As for the transmission, early 2016's had a known issue, most other failures can statistically be called outliers for an otherwise reliable vehicle. How many threads pop up saying "2014 CX-5, 72k miles, transmission is fine!". So statistically these are outliers, not a "known issue".

If you guys could stop quoting Mango that'd be great (ignore list doesn't strip out quoted replies). Better yet, add him to your ignore list too and stop poking the wasp nest.

CX-5 2014 touring AWD with automatic transmission with sudden onset whirring noise . Turns out that transmission is gone and out of warranty. Mazda not inclined to help and a brief online search shows i have lots of company and according to mechanic is related to a defective part in the early release cars that they have seen often at this dealership . Asking 5K to replace. Vroom Vroom

Care to share links? I read here every other day and not too many high mileage out of warranty failures have been reported. Most follow the typical failure curve of some early failures ( < 15k ) followed by a long period of quiet. Now that these cars are hitting 4-5+ years of age, some more are appearing but still pretty low considering how many have sold in that time.

Care to share links? I read here every other day and not too many high mileage out of warranty failures have been reported. Most follow the typical failure curve of some early failures ( < 15k ) followed by a long period of quiet. Now that these cars are hitting 4-5+ years of age, some more are appearing but still pretty low considering how many have sold in that time.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814755-First-CX-5-Transmission-Has-Been-Replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-My-CX-5-transmission-failed-and-was-replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-shifting-after-2015-transmission-replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854261-Full-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854272-2015-CX5-Transmission-Replacement

That's just on this site alone. Not even including the other Mazda forums around the internet, not including transmission replacements from owners who don't browse internet forums. The scary thing is, this same transmission is still being used in the new 2017 CX-5.

Last edited:
Poll in one of the threads seems to indicate what we already said.

Early CX-5's are largely reliable with outliers. Early 2016's had issues that got corrected. Looks like the late model 2015's did too.

Also, what the hell is up with this Mango? You don't own a 2017 CX-5...

iUly6hh.png

Edit: And most of these seem to be early in warranty issues.

Last edited:
Of the known skyactiv trans issue...what was the culprit again? I don't know too much about transmissions in general but I do know that auto transmissions can get complex. CVTs are simpler in design. DSGs are really complex.

Poll in one of the threads seems to indicate what we already said.

Early CX-5's are largely reliable with outliers. Early 2016's had issues that got corrected. Looks like the late model 2015's did too.

Also, what the hell is up with this Mango? You don't own a 2017 CX-5...

iUly6hh.png

did this guy seriously vote "my transmission failed" for a car he doesnt have, on a poll/forum section that doesnt apply to him? this guy is so fucken ridiculous i am at a loss for words here.

Going through your links - as I said, most are early on the MTBF curve, which is fairly common for complex mechanical devices. Many of these are from the the very first weeks of production where some had defective solenoids (which were easy to fix and were a pretty small number) - links from 2012 are not useful.

While it's true not everyone is on a forum, there is enough activity here to extrapolate trends (or lack thereof) of common issues. Big ticket failures will create traffic too and, so far, we just don't see that much. Compared to the Focus dual clutch transmissions from a few years back that went through hundreds of pages and people with issues...

Again, I'd like to see more links on post-warranty failures. I know Chris had one.

Last edited:
did this guy seriously vote "my transmission failed" for a car he doesnt have, on a poll/forum section that doesnt apply to him? this guy is so fucken ridiculous i am at a loss for words here.

Says the guy who also doesn't have a CX-5,but also just created a transmission failed poll...

someone should create a poll.. who's the biggest troll?

Mango vs Molestor

I vote for mango.

2nd. I mean really Mango voted that his 17 CX-5 transmission failed.

At least Molestor has a Skyactiv vehicle that it's a little more forgivable. Mango...not so much. I mean seriously Mango, wtf? Trolling exposed?

OT: Again seems most transmission issues are early failures fixed in-warranty. I'm not seeing a whole lot of after-warranty transmission posts. Chris and this thread are all that come to mind at the moment. I think OP has gotten some good advice on how to proceed...

Last edited:
yea seriously Mango. what the actual **** is wrong with you?

why would you vote "my transmission failed" for a car you don't own, especially since you havent experienced any failures?

Of the known skyactiv trans issue...what was the culprit again? I don't know too much about transmissions in general but I do know that auto transmissions can get complex. CVTs are simpler in design. DSGs are really complex.

According to the OP, there was/is a defective part in the transmission in some the the CX-5s. Sounds about right, I seriously doubt anyone drives this type of vehicle hard enough to cause a transmission failures like this.

Back