Transmission blown at 72K miles

Good point. Post warranty failure rates should be low.

I expect they will absolutely start going up after the warranty expires; such is life; - but, with the cost being what it is, getting an idea of when failures start to become more common is helpful for purposes of vehicle retirement.

So anyway, slow day at work and I decided to browse through TSB's on this one website and found what the most likely scenario for the OP was:

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/189/whining-noise-from-automatic-transaxle-2012-2014-mazda#more-189

And of COURSE I had to get one just before the cutoff. Looks like I might be cashing in on that extended warranty deal if I make it past 60K without failure.
..wouldn't worry about it, doesn't mean your transmissions days are numbered.

This is the kind of (bs) which makes me reluctant to act on complaints about to mango; people always complaining about someone else when the reality is they are the (potkettle. That entire post was off topic and instigating in nature. And now there are posts on here about honduhs and mango for no fault of his own.
Honestly, I think Mango has a valid point, and I just got an email back from mazda today suggesting I take the car to a dealer to have the transmission diagnosed (even though it's been pulled already and I mentioned this).

Your serious? LOL, all Mango ever does is come on hear to poke the bear, instigate, and generally bash and criticize the CX-5 and constantly seizes every opportunity he gets to remind us all here why the CRV is superior in eyes to the CX-5...conversations around here don't happen in vacuums and his track record of being a narcissist antagonizing Mazda hater is well documented. He deserves all the push back he gets.

unlikely that maybe 25 or so peaktq/ hp somewhere broke the trans... I like how that's the first thing people ask when I say something but everyone else whos trans craps out under regular driving and regular tune in like 15000 miles get's a pass lol

Rpm kills certain slushboxes. Dead. Did you change shift points?

Your serious? LOL, all Mango ever does is come on hear to poke the bear, instigate, and generally bash and criticize the CX-5 and constantly seizes every opportunity he gets to remind us all here why the CRV is superior in eyes to the CX-5...conversations around here don't happen in vacuums and his track record of being a narcissist antagonizing Mazda hater is well documented. He deserves all the push back he gets.

I know right? Lets not forget this dude voted that his 2017 CX-5 transmission failed and needed to be replaced... he takes any opportunity to criticize Mazda which is specifically why he made an account on a Mazda forum. Complete and utter joke.

So why not make the poll in the 6 forum?

Theres like 10 people viewing that section at any given time and not a single thread is active there. No point if you want people to actually participate in the poll.

He has been kicked from the forum for a bit, but my comment still stands. It doesn't apply only to relations with Mango. I've been on this subforum since the CX5 came to NA and it's very rarely just one sided. Can't complain about someone instigating when you have other users doing the same thing.

I was a mod in a few places for a bunch of years and it's a thankless/payless job with tough calls where you can't really make everyone happy (you're either a nazi or not doing your job), but it is an essential thing! A couple of toxic people with too much time on their hands can bring down a place when most people are just here for info and don't want to put up with the BS.

I love the reference " some guy who popped in"..... I have no axe to grid other than letting folks know about this problem that the dealer acknowledges is not uncommon. If you have a similar year and trim I would take precautions if available . Happy to answer any questions folks have . Frankly I loved the car and had no shifting issues prior to this sudden onset whirring sound and even then had no shifting issues and thats why I was taken aback by the report of q blown transmission. This past July I had a 65000 mile check and had then go through everything as was going to take a long car trip . got the ok except for brake work from normal wear. I'm in my early 60s and have owned alot of cars from many different brands and have never experienced a major transmission fail at this low mileage . Mechanics shared that this is due to a "defect" they see often and could be one of several and they wont know till they get in the transmission . I don't mind contributing to this repair frankly as it is outside warranty but i'll be damned to spend 5K ( the price is rising it seems) for their defect and apparently a problem that is far from rare. Appreciate the suggestions and I am going to be calling a regional Mazda rep in the am.

So anyway, slow day at work and I decided to browse through TSB's on this one website and found what the most likely scenario for the OP was:

https://mazda.oemdtc.com/189/whining-noise-from-automatic-transaxle-2012-2014-mazda#more-189

And of COURSE I had to get one just before the cutoff. Looks like I might be cashing in on that extended warranty deal if I make it past 60K without failure.

thanks for that. After my discussion with the mechanic I think this is what they are theorizing. Much appreciated.

⋯ Appreciate the suggestions and I am going to be calling a regional Mazda rep in the am.
If your VIN is lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013) and your automatic transaxle has serial number lower than 3TR1111680 or 3TD1104906, you definitely have a legit point asking for help when you contact Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations that your damaged bearing in the transaxle is due to improper configuration of poorly designed transaxle case.

Wanted to provide some follow up. Contacted regional Mazda rep and found everyone very responsive to my concerns . After a few phone calls Mazda decided to cover parts and other expenses that cut my repair to a price point that I felt was more than fair. Sad to be dealing with an issue at this mileage but frankly couldnt have asked for more from Mazda .

Wanted to provide some follow up. Contacted regional Mazda rep and found everyone very responsive to my concerns . After a few phone calls Mazda decided to cover parts and other expenses that cut my repair to a price point that I felt was more than fair. Sad to be dealing with an issue at this mileage but frankly couldnt have asked for more from Mazda .

Great. Did they say if it was that bearing whine the TSB refers to?

Glad we aren't the only ones...

My wife has a 2015 CX-5 2.5 AWD. Transmission failed very suddenly on an important work trip about 2 weeks ago. It has 67k miles.

Since we are passed the 60k Mazda doesn't seem very inclined to help. Not even Mazda corporate. We are feeling really stuck. Transmission is clicking and not shifting gears.

We are feeling pretty stuck. Can't come out of pocket very easily for a new transmission right now. We are thinking about going to a secondary shop and trying to get it repaired or looking for a used one. I've been doing some googling and unless Skyactiv transmissions are weird, it sounds like it's just a shift solenoid. But Mazda will only replace, they say they don't open transmissions.

Any advice?

OP, if you don't mind me asking what is fair to you? For us, they were initially talking a $4700 job, then they were offering $3800, and we have a voicemail from Mazda corporate that talks about $2800, but we just got a letter that's talking about $5k. We are far from pleased with the help we are getting from Mazda. This is our first and probably last.

If you end up paying out of pocket the dealer would be the last place I would go. That will be the most expensive option. You may want to post State you are in as other members may have some recommendations for good independent shops. I'd find one that specializes in Mazdas or a group of imports if possible. $2800 wouldn't be out of line with my past experience of a failure in another make.

Glad we aren't the only ones...

My wife has a 2015 CX-5 2.5 AWD. Transmission failed very suddenly on an important work trip about 2 weeks ago. It has 67k miles.

Since we are passed the 60k Mazda doesn't seem very inclined to help. Not even Mazda corporate. We are feeling really stuck. Transmission is clicking and not shifting gears.

We are feeling pretty stuck. Can't come out of pocket very easily for a new transmission right now. We are thinking about going to a secondary shop and trying to get it repaired or looking for a used one. I've been doing some googling and unless Skyactiv transmissions are weird, it sounds like it's just a shift solenoid. But Mazda will only replace, they say they don't open transmissions.

Any advice?

OP, if you don't mind me asking what is fair to you? For us, they were initially talking a $4700 job, then they were offering $3800, and we have a voicemail from Mazda corporate that talks about $2800, but we just got a letter that's talking about $5k. We are far from pleased with the help we are getting from Mazda. This is our first and probably last.

Back