Transmission blown at 72K miles

nohackle

:
2014 CX-5
CX-5 2014 touring AWD with automatic transmission with sudden onset whirring noise . Turns out that transmission is gone and out of warranty. Mazda not inclined to help and a brief online search shows i have lots of company and according to mechanic is related to a defective part in the early release cars that they have seen often at this dealership . Asking 5K to replace. Vroom Vroom

CX-5 2014 touring AWD with automatic transmission with sudden onset whirring noise . Turns out that transmission is gone and out of warranty. Mazda not inclined to help and a brief online search shows i have lots of company and according to mechanic is related to a defective part in the early release cars that they have seen often at this dealership . Asking 5K to replace. Vroom Vroom

forget the dealer if they are not willing to fix it or at least cover some of the costs.

time to head over to a transmission specialty shop for a rebuild.

You're not alone. Go look in the CX-5 Transmission forum and see all of blown Transmission threads that have been created over the years. Sucks that Mazda won't help you out, considering they have a history of using faulty transmissions in the CX-5.

Yeah, more info would be appreciated. Manufacture date? Sudden whirring noise, but everything shifted ok? Was fluid level low or were there obvious shifting issues? Etc.

Rebuild it for a third of the cost. I have a full blown race tranny in another car of mine that was $5 Grand. And it’s good for 2000 horse power. Still sucks though.

Soft target = guaranteed Mazda sucks rocket from little fruitman
Not cool they wouldn't help out at all though..try harder.

Last edited:

This is unfortunate news. Where are you seeing though that it says that a lot of other 2014 CX-5s have transmission issues? I just checked TrueDelta and the 2013-2015 CX-5s have very good reliability. The 2016 Cx-5s are less reliable than the previous models.

Well, at least you never talked smack to me about my extended warranty not being worth it...

My advice to you is buy a transmission from a wrecked CX5. As much as people use Sport mode, I am sure you can find one of these badass race-cars that someone wrapped around a tree. From there, you get it installed at a local shop.

Infiniti dealership wanted $4500ish to do the transmission in my G20. I got it done for $1250 out the door at a local shop, including transmission.

PM Chris on here for more info, he recently went through the exact thing you did and did what I referenced above. He can give pointers I'm sure!

Join the club.. zoom zoom boom lol. Go to search LKQ online..ebay even. You can get a trans starting at $1000 (or less w/ebay but make sure the seller offers some type of guarantee) depending on mileage. Looking at upwards of $1000 for labour at a shop to install. The chance thing is getting another defecto batch trans, but at least they are warrantied for parts by LKQ. Each part has the vin listed too so you can try to avoid the listed affected vins.

Last edited:
You're not alone. Go look in the CX-5 Transmission forum and see all of blown Transmission threads that have been created over the years. Sucks that Mazda won't help you out, considering they have a history of using faulty transmissions in the CX-5.

As a Honda fan you should be the last person who should be commenting on an Auto company having a transmission problem and not helping its customers out...I guess the class action law suite in 2006 which was brought against Honda for their faulty transmissions in the Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord conveniently escaped your memory...

Join the club.. zoom zoom boom lol. Go to search LKQ online..ebay even. You can get a trans starting at $1000 (or less w/ebay but make sure the seller offers some type of guarantee) depending on mileage. Looking at upwards of $1000 for labour at a shop to install. The chance thing is getting another defecto batch trans, but at least they are warrantied for parts by LKQ. Each part has the vin listed too so you can try to avoid the listed affected vins.
Did your blow up after you modified the power output or before (sarcasm not intended just intended).

As a Honda fan you should be the last person who should be commenting on an Auto company having a transmission problem and not helping its customers out...I guess the class action law suite in 2006 which was brought against Honda for their faulty transmissions in the Odyssey, Pilot, and Accord conveniently escaped your memory...

Do you really want to go back to 2006 Mazda? Really?

lol.

Do you really want to go back to 2006 Mazda? Really?

companies make engineering mistakes sometimes which results in failures and/or problems. what is everyone trying to get at here?

Can you ask them what VIN range for these "early models" and post it?

Just curious as I have a Jan 2013 dated 2014. Been rock solid 4 1/2 years and 55k miles later, but just curious if this is actually a thing as the only issue I ever heard of with transmissions was early model 2016's.

Back