CX-5 Rear brakes seized up

joh

:
Mazda CX-5 Granda Touring
Got my 2016.5 CX-5 GT in August 2016.

In December 2016, I smelled burning brakes on the freeway. Figured it was some of the semi trucks who were also on the somewhat hilly road. Got home and my drivers side rear wheel was very hot. Passenger rear was fine. I took it to the dealer, the service manager said it was a known problem, and the replaced the entire rear brake assembly on both sides (pads, rotors, calipers, ...).

In September 2017, I smelled burning brakes again, but this time I was in a residential neighborhood with no other cars around. I pulled over and noticed smoke coming from my passenger side rear wheel. Drivers rear was fine this time. Another trip to the dealer, and they replaced the entire rear brake assembly again, except for the driver's side rear caliper.

Car only has 13K miles or so.

Is this a known issue? Has it happened to anyone else? Wondering if there were just a bad batch of calipers.

There're at least 2 TSBs concerning electric parking brake for 2016 CX-5. In both cases a new enhanced (revised) EPB control module is required to replace the original one. Apparently this didnt resolve the issue on one symptom of rear brake dragging and that TSB has been revised twice since the initial release on 6/20/2016. The latest R052/16C TSB released on 2/24/2017 specifies revised rear calipers for replacement with new disc pads and rotors if necessary. Based on service date your calipers are possibly older version hence you had reoccurrence of the same symptom. Print this TSB provided by Anchorman which has the part numbers listed making sure you have the revised calipers on both sides.

TSB R052/16C - Subject: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

There're at least 2 TSBs concerning electric parking brake for 2016 CX-5. In both cases a new enhanced (revised) EPB control module is required to replace the original one. Apparently this didn’t resolve the issue on one symptom of rear brake dragging and that TSB has been revised twice since the initial release on 6/20/2016. The latest R052/16C TSB released on 2/24/2017 specifies revised rear calipers for replacement with new disc pads and rotors if necessary. Based on service date your calipers are possibly older version hence you had reoccurrence of the same symptom. Print this TSB provided by Anchorman which has the part numbers listed making sure you have the revised calipers on both sides.

correct, if it is only one side burning up then there is something wrong with the parking brake mechanism.

you made sure that the parking brake is fully down and the light is off before driving off, right?

correct, if it is only one side burning up then there is something wrong with the parking brake mechanism.

you made sure that the parking brake is fully down and the light is off before driving off, right?
For 2016.5 CX-5 GT it has electrical parking brake and itll release it by itself once you start accelerates . The parking brake cant lock the rear brakes even if you forget to release it. If it does locking or dragging the rear brakes that means therere problems.

For 2016.5 CX-5 GT it has electrical parking brake and it’ll release it by itself once you start accelerates . The parking brake can’t lock the rear brakes even if you forget to release it. If it does locking or dragging the rear brakes that means there’re problems.

evidently. I am just curious to see if the parking brake light may have been on before he started driving. so the dealer replaced his rear brakes, which were operating totally fine and has no issues? they needed to assess the parking brake mechanism, not the calipers themselves. this is why I always try to avoid the dealer.

evidently. I am just curious to see if the parking brake light may have been on before he started driving. so the dealer replaced his rear brakes, which were operating totally fine and has no issues? they needed to assess the parking brake mechanism, not the calipers themselves. this is why I always try to avoid the dealer.
If you read the TSB, youll know the brake dragging is caused by insufficient accuracy of the screw threads of the ball and ramp on the rear caliper used by EPB which affects completely releasing the parking brake. Thats why Mazda revised the rear caliper with built-in EPB mechanism.

If you read the TSB, youll know the brake dragging is caused by insufficient accuracy of the screw threads of the ball and ramp on the rear caliper used by EPB which affects completely releasing the parking brake. Thats why Mazda revised the rear caliper with built-in EPB mechanism.

Right, well I was hoping that the Mazda Dealer would know this and fix this guys car instead. What do I need to read the TSB for if I dont have this car?

Right, well I was hoping that the Mazda Dealer would know this and fix this guys car instead. What do I need to read the TSB for if I don’t have this car?

It would stop you from speculating and making uninformed comments about what the OP should do. Yrwie 52 is giving him good advice and you keep confusing the issue when there is no benefit. You don’t need to comment at all if you don’t have the car but you seem fairly insistent on doing so. The new TSB WILL fix the problem.

I had exactly the same issue with my passenger side rear brakes and the dealer replaced everything as per the TSB on that side only. So far there has been no reoccurrence. Interestingly, that particular tyre now seems to be wearing unevenly. From the inside to the outer tread the measurements are 5mm, 4mm,4mm and 3mm. Could it be that when overheating (and smoking) - there was actually a frying sound and pinging metal noises from heat expansion - the tyre rubber went soft and wore unevenly? Interested to know what people think? I have only done 12,000 miles. The rest of the tyres are wearing evenly around 5 mm of tread equally.

NorthAmericaMazda should make TSB R052/16C a RECALL since it put out a mass production change. My dealer would not even look at the printed out TSB saying nothing came up in their system. Mines been squeaking since 5~6K and now the rear pads are down to 4mm while fronts are still almost new. Their recommendation was to wear down to 2mm and get it replaced and maybe the squeal will go away. My VIN is between the range called out in TSB but the dealer is saying it is not part of it? I'm now taking to NorthAmericaMazda.

Yes, I always make sure that the parking brake is fully down (there is no partially down on this vehicle since it's an on/off switch). On a couple of occasions, I've almost driven off with the parking brake on, but the car beeps when trying to do so, so I put back in P or N, press the brake, and disengage the parking brake.

There're at least 2 TSBs concerning electric parking brake for 2016 CX-5. In both cases a new enhanced (revised) EPB control module is required to replace the original one. Apparently this didn’t resolve the issue on one symptom of rear brake dragging and that TSB has been revised twice since the initial release on 6/20/2016. The latest R052/16C TSB released on 2/24/2017 specifies revised rear calipers for replacement with new disc pads and rotors if necessary. Based on service date your calipers are possibly older version hence you had reoccurrence of the same symptom. Print this TSB provided by Anchorman which has the part numbers listed making sure you have the revised calipers on both sides.

Thanks for the TSB. Mine is an affected VIN. Glad to hear it's a known issue. I was worried that my car was a lemon.

NorthAmericaMazda should make TSB R052/16C a RECALL since it put out a mass production change. My dealer would not even look at the printed out TSB saying nothing came up in their system. Mines been squeaking since 5~6K and now the rear pads are down to 4mm while fronts are still almost new. Their recommendation was to wear down to 2mm and get it replaced and maybe the squeal will go away. My VIN is between the range called out in TSB but the dealer is saying it is not part of it? I'm now taking to NorthAmericaMazda.

Which dealer? Maybe you should contact a different dealership?

Yes, I always make sure that the parking brake is fully down (there is no partially down on this vehicle since it's an on/off switch). On a couple of occasions, I've almost driven off with the parking brake on, but the car beeps when trying to do so, so I put back in P or N, press the brake, and disengage the parking brake.
No, your Electrical Parkingy Brake shoul get released automatically even if you forgot to release it manually once you step on the gas paddle. If it doesnt, your EPB has problems!

Which dealer? Maybe you should contact a different dealership?
If anybody is having problems with his/her Mazda dealer for warranty service, they should contact Customer Experience Center of Mazda North American Operations directly to sort it out.

If you read the latest/current TSB on this issue, you will see there is a diagnosis including tests and procedures involved that you can do yourself to see if the issue is affecting your car or not.

Simply having your rear pads wearing down evenly is possibly not even related to this issue. Might be something else.

The TSB refers to "the outer disc pad abmormally worn down".

It would be worth doing the diagnostic tests set out in the TSB yourself to see if any of them show this issue is proven to be the problem. You can then present that evidence to Mazda.

My car had this problem and I had the EBP module replaced about 8 months ago as per the earlier version of the TSB, and interestingly, that appears to have solved the problem completely. I had the car in for a service yesterday and had them check the rear pads for abmormal wear on the outer pads and the report was they are all fine.

I would add that my brake symptoms were only ever very mild, with a soft noise similar to "warped discs" from the rear brakes being the only symptom. The noise was gone after the EPB unit replacement and has not returned. Ive done the "roll test" as per the TSB and brake release is working perfectly.

Thanks for the TSB. Mine is an affected VIN. Glad to hear it's a known issue. I was worried that my car was a lemon.

It seems possible, even likely, that the dealer either didnt actually replace the brake calipers etc the first time, or, that they replaced with the same original caliper models rather than the new improved version.

Once the correct ones are installed, the problem should never happen again.

If you want to check that your new ones are working properly, as I just mentioned to Jae-st, read the diagnostic procedures in tha TSB and its easy to do at least the first couple tests yourself to get some reassurance that they are working right now.

Last edited:
Mine does not pull to right or left but squeals like there is no tomorrow... Also, I haven't seen combined MPG above 22 since the squeals.

Moonlighter - you are lucky they swapped out entire EPB module. My dealer did not even look at the TSB(s) I took in - reason I'm now talking to North America Mazda.

For you pleasure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gn9Z9RAmVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU4pw7AHMxM

Others...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEgCZC2yzg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PjsocM2GG8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fwTIQK9UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKrEcnTwJk

Good luck getting it sorted.

I have some doubts that your problem relates to the issue of the park brake not releasing properly that is detailed in the TSB we are talking about. This condition typically shows brake noise when the car is coasting, or results in abnormal brake wear on one side only.

But it should be simple enough for a dealer to check this by going thru the tests as per the TSB. If the brakes are dragging it will be obvious in the test where wheels are removed and discs are spun by hand.

一No, your Electrical Parkingy Brake shoul get released automatically even if you forgot to release it manually once you step on the gas paddle. If it doesnt, your EPB has problems!

I'm sure you're right about the beeping/auto release. I'm probably confusing my Mazda 3 parking brake (manual parking brake).

Back