CX-5 Rear brakes seized up

US (2016 MY)
MEXICO (2016 – 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

My Vin is in the 822 range so its a part of the TSB - however seeing the mpg i get and seeing i never smell the brakes (every evening getting my toddler out of the car take 5 mins with the shenanigans etc) I dont think my brakes are dragging at all - should I be concerned?
Also - i never drive with the EPB engaged - I manually release it. I can still try the diagnosis and evaluate.
What do you guys suggest - do you have cars in the VIN range mentioned on TSBs that were perfect? Is this only for GT trim?

In Dallas you do not have the same salt exposure that contributes to the problem as most of the people with the problem up north...

KAPS - If your CX-5 does not pull left or right, brakes squeal, smell of brakes, brake pad abnomally worn, or low MPG, you should be fine. One more check you can do while you diagnose and evaluate is to look for production date stamped on the calipers as shown on TSB to be sure.

GAXIBM - TSB dealing with salt exposure was for 2013-2014 CX-5s (TSB-04-005/15). Brakes not releasing and/or squealing started with TSB R052/16A where it replaced the entire EPB module. Latest TSB R052/16C pinpoints to replacement of calipers which improves accuracy of screw threads allowing full release of brakes.

Hope others without this problem are seeing high MPG.

US (2016 MY)
MEXICO (2016 – 2017 MY) JM3 KE **** ** 600015 - 866136

My Vin is in the 822 range so its a part of the TSB - however seeing the mpg i get and seeing i never smell the brakes (every evening getting my toddler out of the car take 5 mins with the shenanigans etc) I dont think my brakes are dragging at all - should I be concerned?
Also - i never drive with the EPB engaged - I manually release it. I can still try the diagnosis and evaluate.
What do you guys suggest - do you have cars in the VIN range mentioned on TSBs that were perfect? Is this only for GT trim?

The way I read the TSB, it is an issue of manufacturing tolerances and variances from spec. Which IMO means that some calipers will be outside the variances and will cause issues, but many, probably the vast majority, given that only a relatively small number of people have had issues, will still be within variances and will thus never have a problem. If every car within the vin range covered by the TSB had issues, there would be queues for miles up the road outside Mazda dealers here in Aus where huge numbers were sold. And the fact is that there are not.

So if no symptoms have appeared and you have a decent number of miles on the clock, IMO you will not have any issues.

Last edited:
The way I read the TSB, it is an issue of manufacturing tolerances and variances from spec. Which IMO means that some calipers will be outside the variances and will cause issues, but many, probably the vast majority, given that only a relatively small number of people have had issues, will still be within variances and will thus never have a problem. If every car within the vin range covered by the TSB had issues, there would be queues for miles up the road outside Mazda dalers here in Aus where huge numbers were sold. And the fact is that there are not.

So if no symptoms have appeared and you have a decent number of miles on the clock, IMO you will not have any issues.

Agree. My vin is right in the middle, however 21000 miles and zero problems

Back