CX-5 clunking noise when braking in D after reverse.

:
CX-5 AWD GT
Hi, I have a 2012 CX5 GT which has started doing some clunking noise. I'll describe the way it happens:

I reverse, brake, then put in D, drive a couple of meters, brake and it clunks in the front only once. It only happens after I reverse and brake and then Drive. If I only drive without reversing, it doesn't do that at all. Wheel nuts are tight, brake pads look good too. Can't figure it out where t is coming from.

Hi, I have a 2012 CX5 GT which has started doing some clunking noise. I'll describe the way it happens:

I reverse, brake, then put in D, drive a couple of meters, brake and it clunks in the front only once. It only happens after I reverse and brake and then Drive. If I only drive without reversing, it doesn't do that at all. Wheel nuts are tight, brake pads look good too. Can't figure it out where t is coming from.

do you drive over rough roads? what is your mileage?

i suspect:

strut mounts
ball joints/front control arms

I suspect the brake pads are shifting in the caliper. Not to unusual and cause no problems other than the clunk. Ed

Well, it can be bunch of things unfortunately.

I'd check engine mounts as well.

Have somebody listen from outside when this happens so it might be easier to pinpoint the location.

do you drive over rough roads? what is your mileage?

i suspect:

strut mounts
ball joints/front control arms
106000km, no off road driving. Just nornal roads. If it was a strut mount it should be doing that always and in reverse too, mine is doing it only in forward after reverse and only if I brake. If I dont brake and just put in drive and go, even for 5 km it wont be doing it. But as soon as I do the first stop, it does.

106000km, no off road driving. Just nornal roads. If it was a strut mount it should be doing that always and in reverse too, mine is doing it only in forward after reverse and only if I brake. If I dont brake and just put in drive and go, even for 5 km it won’t be doing it. But as soon as I do the first stop, it does.

most likely front control arms.

As it’s been suggested above, it sounds like the pads are moving in the calipers. It’s not unusual at that mileage. Check the brake pads have all the necessary shims and clips and that they still have some tension. Some workshops don’t even refit them and that definitely causes problems. Once you have taken the brakes out of the equation you can start looking at the suspension and steering.

If it’s not the brake pads, I suspect worn comtr arm ball joints.

All bushes are fine, ball joints too. No problems with engine mounts. But checked every single suspension bolt and crossmember's too on hoist in a workshop. All tight. Rolled it off the hoist and had a friend to listen for the noise and apparently it's coming only from RH side and from the front when I'm going forward and brake once, and from the rear when I reverse and brake. It only happens once in either direction. Hard to see if brake pads are removing though. And shouldn't they move on either side of the car?

All bushes are fine, ball joints too. No problems with engine mounts. But checked every single suspension bolt and crossmember's too on hoist in a workshop. All tight. Rolled it off the hoist and had a friend to listen for the noise and apparently it's coming only from RH side and from the front when I'm going forward and brake once, and from the rear when I reverse and brake. It only happens once in either direction. Hard to see if brake pads are removing though. And shouldn't they move on either side of the car?

They shouldn’t really make any noise if they move as they are cushioned by stainless springs. More to the point, if thats all that is happening, it doesn’t really harm.

Sorry, one year late, but it's brake springs. All CX5 first gen do that. Tried lots of them in the workshop.

my 2016 does that with OEM brake setup with more than 80% brake pads life left.
Changed rotors, pads, and springs with StopTech/Centric parts, and still does the same thing.

Back