Backup Camera is flawed

kevboy55

:
Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Sky Blue Mica
Does anyone know if the setup of the backup camera has changed on the 2017 CX-5 as compared to how it was on earlier models? I had a 2013 CX-5 GT and not once over the 5+ years I had it did the camera ever show water sitting on the camera, and now that the rainy season is here in Vancouver, I have noticed the last couple of days that water just sits on the lens of the camera, pretty much rendering it useless. Anyone have any tricks or have anyone talked to anyone at Mazda about the design on the 2017?

Put some rain x on the lens. I had same issue on the cx5 as well as my 2014 mazda3. Rain x helps a bit.

Does anyone know if the setup of the backup camera has changed on the 2017 CX-5 as compared to how it was on earlier models? I had a 2013 CX-5 GT and not once over the 5+ years I had it did the camera ever show water sitting on the camera, and now that the rainy season is here in Vancouver, I have noticed the last couple of days that water just sits on the lens of the camera, pretty much rendering it useless. Anyone have any tricks or have anyone talked to anyone at Mazda about the design on the 2017?

You must have been lucky.

I've got a Mazda 6 and I get droplets on the camera most times it rains.

I believe a rain repellent spray should help you out.

you're not alone

Does anyone know if the setup of the backup camera has changed on the 2017 CX-5 as compared to how it was on earlier models? I had a 2013 CX-5 GT and not once over the 5+ years I had it did the camera ever show water sitting on the camera...I have noticed the last couple of days that water just sits on the lens of the camera, pretty much rendering it useless. Anyone have any tricks or have anyone talked to anyone at Mazda about the design on the 2017?

We have a 2016 and here in Ohio, the last several days have had rain (at night) and I had the privilege of using the backup camera during that time, as well as other times in the rain.

Yes, our 2016 does have water/drops cling to the camera lens, especially if it has been sitting in the rain for some time or it is raining really hard. These drops do interfere with the image from the camera. However, I've come to not be so dependent on the camera that it is the only thing I use when backing up. I still look over my shoulder and use my side mirrors.

If it is raining and I know I am going to be backing up, I walk behind the vehicle first and take a quick swipe of the camera to remove any potential drops/water that may impeded the camera's view.

If the camera were located under the spoiler, it may not get as many rain drops. Good new is I don't need the camera for any length of time when backing up - 40' driveway. Oh, the cross-traffic alert helps too.

Hope that answers your question.

My CX5 2017 GT has this problem. The back-up cam is a raindrop lover. PITA when using it during rainy days.

Thing is with mine, reversing lights actually help the vision

I suspect since the 2017 now has led reversing lights, this should make it better at night

It does make them better. They are like two miniature headlights with distinctive beams. As for water, I had a 2016.5 and now I’ve got the 2017 and they both got water on them is the rain is heavy enough - no difference whatsoever.

It does make them better. They are like two miniature headlights with distinctive beams. As for water, I had a 2016.5 and now I’ve got the 2017 and they both got water on them is the rain is heavy enough - no difference whatsoever.
Thanks for the information :)

Yup. Useless. Simply too dark.

Really surprised to hear that.

My 16 Akeras reversing camera is great at night, the white reversing lights light up a very good distance behind the car and you can clearly see whats behind you on the screen. Couldnt really ask for any better results.

I wonder why yours was so different. Were your reversing lights working properly?

Really surprised to hear that.

My 16 Akera’s reversing camera is great at night, the white reversing lights light up a very good distance behind the car and you can clearly see whats behind you on the screen. Couldnt really ask for any better results.

I wonder why yours was so different. Were your reversing lights working properly?

Could be different camera software/resolution (uhm)

Could be different camera software/resolution (uhm)

It could also be the poor resolution of the screen. I can't comment on the 2017 screen, but the 2016 screen has poor resolution. My phone (S7) has better resolution than my infotainment screen. I even thing my S3mini had better screen resolution than the CX-5.

At night, with the back up lights on, the screen is really grainy and details are not very detailed. I could have sworn, the purpose of the backup camera was to aid in backing up as another source of information and to help the driver see if there was anything immediately behind the vehicle.

Now, if someone is trying to parallel park at night, in the rain, I think there is enough detail, plus the distance lines to give an accurate picture to not hit the car behind you.

I've tried adjusting the screen's brightness/contrast in both the "Day" (lights off) and "Night" (lights on) settings and going up and down with each in the two categories does not really change the results.

I'm sure things would be different if the screen/backup camera were the rear view "mirror". If that were its main function, I'm hoping the screen resolution would be different.

Maybe the camera used just does not do well in low light conditions. Again, Mazda has been accused of cutting costs on certain things in the CX-5 and maybe a low res, poor spec camera is just another cost saving measure.

Back