Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 2016 CX9 GT - Front windshield wipers stopped working today

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8

    2016 CX9 GT - Front windshield wipers stopped working today

    Hi all, we recently bought a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring. The car currently has less than 5000 miles on it, and the front windshield wipers inexplicably stopped working today. The rear wiper still works fine, and I can get wiper fluid to spray on both the front and back windows, so the column stalk seems to be functional to some degree. The front wipers are completely dead - no motor noise, no movement, nothing in any setting.

    Is this a known issue, and does anyone know what the fix is? Is there a software setting on the infotainment unit to completely disable the wipers? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-11-2017 at 12:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Grand Poobah tex2670's Avatar

    2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
    Hi all, we recently bought a 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring. The car currently has less than 5000 miles on it, and the front windshield wipers inexplicably stopped working today. The rear wiper still works fine, and I can get wiper fluid to spray on both the front and back windows, so the column stalk seems to be functional to some degree. The front wipers are completely dead - no motor noise, no movement, nothing in any setting.

    Is this a known issue, and does anyone know what the fix is? Is there a software setting on the infotainment unit to completely disable the wipers? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    The fix is--you have a '16 MY w/5000 mi, so call the dealer and it will be covered under warranty.

  3. #3
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    The fix is--you have a '16 MY w/5000 mi, so call the dealer and it will be covered under warranty.
    things like this should not be happening to a brand new car in the first place. my 2015 mazda 6 with almost 60k miles on the clock hasnt had one single issue yet.

    OP, did you try restarting the car and/or electronics?

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8
    Agree, this should not be happening on a brand new car. It's my wife's car, and she noticed the problem on her drive home yesterday. Yes, we did re-start the car (didn't help). I wasn't sure if there was an Infotainment system setting for the wipers (hence my question). The next step is to take it to the dealer, but I wanted to check first if this was a known issue with a simple fix to avoid the inconvenience.
    Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned GJ-Molestor's Avatar

    2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
    Agree, this should not be happening on a brand new car. It's my wife's car, and she noticed the problem on her drive home yesterday. Yes, we did re-start the car (didn't help). I wasn't sure if there was an electronics setting for the wipers (hence my question). The next step is to take it to the dealer, but I wanted to check first if this was a known issue with a simple fix to avoid the inconvenience.
    Doesn’t sound like a simple fix to me if they just stopped working. I’d try them again a day later to see if they were just having a bad day and schedule an appointment with your dealer

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    Mazda 2016 CX-5

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Charlotte, nc
    Posts
    371
    This may be a dumb question but, Did you check Fuse??????

  7. #7
    Grand Poobah tex2670's Avatar

    2012 CX-9 GT AWD, Copper Red/Sand

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    things like this should not be happening to a brand new car in the first place. my 2015 mazda 6 with almost 60k miles on the clock hasnt had one single issue yet.

    OP, did you try restarting the car and/or electronics?
    Which is why new cars come with a warranty.... Sh!t happens sometimes; no product is perfect.
    Last edited by tex2670; 10-12-2017 at 09:02 AM.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The good news is that I've managed to fix the problem...at least for the time being.

    I found some time this afternoon to check the fuse box. There are two fuses (#1 and #18) in the engine compartment fuse box that are indicated as being related to wipers. The #1 slot is empty (i.e., didn't ship from the factory with a fuse in it), and the #18 fuse looked intact. I pressed it down just in case there was a loose connection. Then I checked the settings on the infotainment system. I found only one wiper related setting for "Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers". I turned it off, and tested the wipers. The wipers were working again! Then I turned the rain sensing wiper setting back on. The wipers still worked! Woohoo!

    At this point, I don't know if the problem was due to a loose connection with the fuse or a glitch in the infotainment software (in retrospect, I should have tested the wipers after pressing down the fuse and before messing with the Infotainment system). My wife's been complaining about the Infotainment being buggy and crashing, so I suspect the culprit is a software glitch. We'll continue to monitor it, and if it happens again, we'll take the car in for a more thorough investigation.

    At some point, we do need to schedule an appointment to get a firmware update for the Infotainment system. For now, I'm happy that the wipers are working again and that it turned out to be a trivially easy fix. Although the car's still under full warranty, I'd rather avoid the hassle of dealing with a service appointment and being without the car for half a day if I can help it.
    Last edited by TitaniumVT; 10-11-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Windshield Wipers
    By kefun in forum CX-5 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2015, 08:09 PM
  2. 2012 Mazda5 Front Windshield Wipers - motor whine!
    By mether in forum Mazda5 Infotainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM
  3. Front Passenger side window stopped working! Please help!
    By djtorch in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 11:56 PM
  4. Windshield Wipers?
    By dandydaniel in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 11:40 PM
  5. Wipers just stopped working...
    By hamidrizvi in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •