visible brushed mark on recent dealer visit

Pototoy

:
2016 CX-5 GT with tech
What to do??

My first OIL service was last Saturday. I noticed that there was a brush mark on left side of the SUV (possibly during washing), then they overload my windshield washer reservoir (no big deal) and they added reg oil- but changed it

I texted my sales person (Saturday) and today I got text saying he brought it up to the GM (I’ve met the guy and I think he is hands-on GM, he was off on my delivery day but he drop-by that day to show some appreciation as I’m a returning costumer in a year).

Anyway, should I still let them do the buff repair/detail and not report it to Mazda? Or report it to the GM and Mazda on what an awful experience and I’ll buff it myself then go back again there for a succeeding services?

BTW, I’m a 2017 CX9 owner—I like to start a thread here because it has lots of visit compared to CX9 lounge.

TIA

I would not let them wash and definitely not let them touch your vehicle with any polisher , they may do more harm then good. How bad is this Mark? Maybe just find a reputable detailer to take care of it. If you lived close by I could have even taken care of it for you. If I ever bring my vehicle in for service I tell them never wash my car.

What to do??

My first OIL service was last Saturday. I noticed that there was a brush mark on left side of the SUV (possibly during washing), then they overload my windshield washer reservoir (no big deal) and they added reg oil- but changed it

I texted my sales person (Saturday) and today I got text saying he brought it up to the GM (I’ve met the guy and I think he is hands-on GM, he was off on my delivery day but he drop-by that day to show some appreciation as I’m a returning costumer in a year).

Anyway, should I still let them do the buff repair/detail and not report it to Mazda? Or report it to the GM and Mazda on what an awful experience and I’ll buff it myself then go back again there for a succeeding services?

BTW, I’m a 2017 CX9 owner—I like to start a thread here because it has lots of visit compared to CX9 lounge.

TIA

I think the extent of your response should depend on how big of a brush mark it is. If it is clearly visible and something that you can safely assume was caused by an act of negligence, then do not let them buff the vehicle. If you decide not to let them buff the vehicle, I don't think you should necessarily tell mazda you had an awful experience, but do tell the GM, he seems understanding. On the other hand, if it is a small mark, bring it up to the GM and let him know that you have been satisfied with their service so far, except for the mark that was made and you hope that it doesn't happen again. Communicating with the GM should help build a lasting working relationship and it will reduce the likelihood that your vehicle will be scuffed.

Yeah I don't really trust dealerships for buffing. I'd talk to the GM, but otherwise buff it yourself if you know how and have the stuff necessary. Otherwise take it to a reputable place that can do buffing.

You don't want to end up with dealer installed swirl marks :)

It depends. If the dealership has a Body shop/Repair facility attached, have them take it there to get the spot buffed out.

I managed a Recon shop for a large Dealership for 5 years. It also had a separate body shop. The least experienced guy I had working in my shop had about 8 years experience detailing cars day in and out. They knew paint and how to remove defects. It is usually a combination of product, pad and speed of the buffer (we used Dewalt rotary) that would remove or reduce defects. You always want to do the least amount of buffing to reduce a defect.

I'm guessing what you are describing is marring of the finish, in other words you can see it but not feel or catch it with your fingernail. If you could, that would be a scratch. Marring can be removed/reduced with the correct combination of product and pad.

Have someone at the Dealership Body shop handle this, not someone who is washing cars for the summer or after school at the shop. Also meet with the Body shop Manager and show him exactly what you are talking about. Also meet with the Service Manager about this as well.

Things like this happen. It is better that you rationally handle this situation in house at the Dealership to your satisfaction. No reason to not trust a Body shop of the Dealership to correct this situation.

Back