2017 CX-5 GT Interior Mirror Loose or Normal?

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hi all, our 2017 CX-5 GT's interior mirror seems loose to me, but I'm not sure if it is normal. Was wondering if anyone else could check theirs and see if it is the same? Mine vibrates around when there is a song with bass being played (not really that loudly either) and if I touch it especially in the right lower corner, it seems to shift around or have play in it. Is this normal or should I address it with the dealer when I take it in? Not a big deal, but was just curious. Thank you!

Doesn't sound too normal to me; ask your dealer for adjustment

Mine can be a little loose at times. Thought they would have fixed that by now.

Should be not to tight but not to loose. Enough for you to move it around with little effort

Mine is very tight. Tighter than the ones on my Mazda3 and Mazda6.
If it vibrates, definitely not normal..

Hi all, our 2017 CX-5 GT's interior mirror seems loose to me, but I'm not sure if it is normal. Was wondering if anyone else could check theirs and see if it is the same? Mine vibrates around when there is a song with bass being played (not really that loudly either) and if I touch it especially in the right lower corner, it seems to shift around or have play in it. Is this normal or should I address it with the dealer when I take it in? Not a big deal, but was just curious. Thank you!
I had exactly the same problem on my auto-dimming rearview mirror when our 2016 CX-5 was new. My theory is Mazda intentionally keeps the T20 Trox-head screw which holds the rearview mirror not too tight to prevent the thin mounting metal plate glued on the windshield breaking the windshield when Torx screw applying pressure on it. This loose rearview mirror problem is pretty common for 2016 CX-5, and my Mazda service advisor also told me he has a service advisory from Mazda warning the tech dont make this T20 Torx screw too tight.

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I had exactly the same problem on my auto-dimming rearview mirror when our 2016 CX-5 was new. My theory is Mazda intentionally keeps the T20 Trox-head screw which holds the rearview mirror not too tight to prevent the thin mounting metal plate glued on the windshield breaking the windshield when Torx screw applying pressure on it. This loose rearview mirror problem is pretty common for 2016 CX-5, and my Mazda service advisor also told me he has a service advisory from Mazda warning the tech don*t make this T20 Torx screw too tight.

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

How does the large plastic cover come off? Looks like it just pries off, but don't want to break anything.

How does the large plastic cover come off? Looks like it just pries off, but don't want to break anything.
Here is my reply in another similar thread just a few days ago. The instruction from Mazda Service Manual is in the "How To" link. I'd try to separate the sensor cover in a warm environment or some tabs could get broken.

2018 cx5 Gt loose rear view mirror mount

Hey there
I just picked up a 2018 cx5 gt non tech. I notice The rear view mirror moves a little bit at the mount. Like the mount screw is not quiet tight enough allowing a bit of play at the mount. I have the auto dimming with home link. My buddy whos a tech at my Mazda dealer said they all have a little bit of play at the mount. Im just wondering if everyone elses is like that? It doesnt vibrate or rattle. I also heard they do that so its not to tight as it could crack the windshield if its to tight. Im going to go stop in there tomorrow and see if any of the other ones are the same. But being my buddy a master tech for 10 years said its normal makes me not really worry. But ya is any one elses move a bit at the mount? Thanks !
Yeah your friend at Mazda dealer said it correctly and also consistent with the service rep at my Mazda dealer when I had the same issue on my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech. My service rep also told me Mazda has issued a service advisory telling their techs dont make the mirror-holding Torx 20 screw too tight when customers are having loose mirror complaint. Since therere so many complaints on cracked windshield from sensor area worldwide on 2015 CX-5 with added windshield sensors for the MY, apparently Mazda has decided to reduce the torque on the Torx 20 screw holding the heavy auto-dimming rearview mirror, hence therere quite a few cases reported for loose rearview mirror. Looks like the design is still the same on the mirror holder for gen-2 CX-5, and most CX-5 owners wouldnt care if the rearview mirror is a little loose, unless its actually making vibration noise. IMO the fix is easy and Mazda only needs to use bigger and stronger metal piece glued on the windshield for mirror holding, but apparently Mazda believes its not worth it to spend some pennies making a change.

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

Back