Mystery Beeping: Higher Pitch Than The Horn

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I had just returned from a local trip. My wife told me my 2015 CX-5 GT was beeping in the garage. I was getting a series of higher-than-a-horn beeping (I blew the horn to be sure. That wasn't it.)

It was beeping in a series of three beeps. After I got into the garage, it did that for a couple of minutes, then stopped for a few seconds, then beeped twice, twice then stopped. So strange. Any ideas? It's not a seat belt chime. There are no lights on the dash to tip me off. It is still stopped. It happened then went.

Last edited:
I had just returned from a local trip. My wife told me my 2015 CX-5 GT was beeping in the garage. I was getting a series of higher-than-a-horn beeping (I blew the horn to be sure. That wasn't it.)

It was beeping in a series of three beeps. After I got into the garage, it did that for a couple of minutes, then stopped for a few seconds, then beeped twice, twice then stopped. So strange. Any ideas? It's not a seat belt chime. There are no lights on the dash to tip me off. It is still stopped. It happened then went.

either a door is ajar or your remote key is running low on battery ?

It was pretty loud. I've recently replaced the battery on the key. I got in and closed the door to see if there were any unusual lights. None. I don't think it was either of those, but thanks.

I've never heard the car battery cause a vehicle to make a noise. Usually it's the opposite. I didn't know the CX-5 was capable of making that noise and in three or two beep intervals. It's still quiet, but it makes me nervous that it will start up again.

Where is the 2nd key fob? If your 2nd key is in car and you lock it.. the car beeps thrice. I thought this was the case, checked my bag and sure enough there was another fob there.

Do you have a smart key, and if so have you taken your car to the dealer lately? Maybe they tried to change the user interface or whatever it's called on the smart key. How loud are the blinkers? Does the beeping sound like Morse code?

I've read about this issue somewhere before...The dealer updated the smart key but did it wrong. He took the car back to the dealer and they fixed it, IIRC.

One of his initial issues was that he couldn't hear the blinkers blinking anymore. Somehow the dealer turned down the volume of the blinker sound. That's why I asked about them.

EDIT: I also see that some people were able to kill the beeping by messing with the dimmer switch for the gauge cluster. Try dimming it to 1/2 and see if that helps. If so, it's off to the dealer.

Last edited:
I have the smart key, but haven't been to the dealer in two years except for recalls and the TSB for the radio/USB. It has been quiet for the rest of the day, but it worries me that it might do it again when I'm not here. Oh well, time will tell. Again, I didn't know anything would make a noise from under the hood except for the horn, especially in sequences: beeps in threes, then twos.

it's just the fan or one of the various electronics shutting off. I know what sort of sound you are talking about, and it's normal.

It could be the panic button on the remote being pressed.

I once slept with keys in my pocket and the panic button was pressed on and off all night long. All the neighbors including me were mad at the stupid guy that kept everyone up at night because their car alarm was going off. Later that morning I noticed it was coming from my garage. :)

Back