Are dealers "dealing" on 17's?

I do a mix of the methods. Quotes from various dealers, some large dealerships and some smaller ones, and then I sit down with the local dealership to see if we can work out something reasonable. They know I have quote and have a good idea of what the car is worth so it tends to be reasonably civil and after a short time period of time it becomes obvious if they can get their numbers in the ballpark.

At least that's the way it used to work. It's been a while since I've bought a new car.
I did this method. They usually won't give in unless I threaten them that I will pull out my reservation.

I ended up with a $3600 discount on my purchase for a CX-5 GS AWD. They offered winter rims and tires complimentary, or the amount as a discount ($1200) on top of the discounts already running. So I took the discount instead and bought some winter rims and tires "used" (1000 km on them) on Kijiji.

Granted I'm in Canada, and the MSRP here is higher as well, since it's in CAD and such. My MSRP was $35,960.00 with the comfort & safety sense packages and paint options. So the discounts brought the price down to a little less than what a baseline GS AWD would cost at MSRP.

Hard to compare CAD and USD, since the markets are different; but it sounds like a couple grand USD off is a decent buy.

Latest posts

Back