Oil changes

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all!

I know oil changes are scheduled for every 7,500 miles. However, do you all still used the maintenance monitor, or do you just turn it to it to fix?

I am planning on going synthetic at my first oil change. I know its not required, but I feel better with it.

Are all of you using conventional?

I just figure it cant hurt anything other than my wallet.

You need to read your owners' manual more carefully. There are various mileage schedules for service depending on how you drive and synthetic oil is required by Mazda to maintain warranty.

You need to read your owners' manual more carefully. There are various mileage schedules for service depending on how you drive and synthetic oil is required by Mazda to maintain warranty.

Huh? I was told by service that I needed the synthetic blend or whatever they use? Of course there is mileage distance stipulations, but I thought that was the point of the maintenance minder?

I currently have 2,200 miles on the vehicle, and the maintenance minder is telling me 5,500 miles to go..

Huh? I was told by service that I needed the synthetic blend or whatever they use? Of course there is mileage distance stipulations, but I thought that was the point of the maintenance minder?

I currently have 2,200 miles on the vehicle, and the maintenance minder is telling me 5,500 miles to go..

Word to the wise, the folks at the dealership, service included, don't always know what they're talking about. Sometimes it's not even close. Read the owner's manual, lots of good info in there that you'll want to know.

Conrad16.5 is correct. Your first information Should come from your owners manual. The manual is written by the manufacture of your vehicle. READ IT. What you don't understand, tell us and we can help you. I feel most dealers are quite good but, a few can try to increase their money by suggesting maintenance that is not necessary or needed. Ed

I just looked. If I want to go full synthetic instead of blend will that hurt anything?

Also, Im waiting 7,500 for my first oil change. I cant find anything saying otherwise..

I just looked. If I want to go full synthetic instead of blend will that hurt anything?

Also, Im waiting 7,500 for my first oil change. I cant find anything saying otherwise..
Therere Schedule 1 on page 6-5 and Schedule 2 on page 6-6 in your 2017 CX-5 Owners Manual. Schedule 1 is for normal driving condition and you should use Flexible oil change schedule which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months on oil change interval. Schedule 2 is for severe driving condition and you can choose either Flexible or Fixed interval and the Fixed oil change interval is 5,000 miles. Like everybody else said, dont believe what your Mazda dealer told you, ask for full-synthetic 0W-20 oil preferably genuine Mazda moly oil as the Flexible OCI calculation is based on such oil been used.

I'm baffled why they would suggest a blend instead of full synthetic when that is what the manual calls for. Full is usually more profitable too. Maybe they're trying to unload blend that nobody wants to use. Also maybe take your car elsewhere for service

(checked my '16 Mazda6 OM PDF at hand)
Mazda does not spell out "full synthetic" or "synthetic" in the OM.
It only says:
"U.S.A. and CANADA Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil. Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy." (Or Castro, it says somewhere else)
As I pointed out earlier, 0W20 can be either full synthetic or a blend. Impossible for dyno oil to reach that grade.
As a matter of fact, the entire PDF does not contain this word, "synthetic".

Last edited:
Hey all!

I know oil changes are scheduled for every 7,500 miles. However, do you all still used the maintenance monitor, or do you just turn it to it to “fix”?

I am planning on going synthetic at my first oil change. I know it’s not required, but I feel better with it.

Are all of you using conventional?

I just figure it can’t hurt anything other than my wallet.
Doesn't have to be that expensive. Your nearest Walmart sells Pennzoil full synthetic 5 quart jug for about $23. It's very good oil if you'd be so inclined to use it. They also sell Pennzoil blend in a 5 quart jug as well for a for dollars less. It's also a good idea to always use a Mazda OEM oil filter.

Doesn't have to be that expensive. Your nearest Walmart sells Pennzoil full synthetic 5 quart jug for about $23. It's very good oil if you'd be so inclined to use it. They also sell Pennzoil blend in a 5 quart jug as well for a for dollars less. It's also a good idea to always use a Mazda OEM oil filter.

it doesn't have to be expensive.. but most oil places overcharge so much for synthetic!
Regular oil change $24.99.. full synthetic $64.99

it doesn't have to be expensive.. but most oil places overcharge so much for synthetic!
Regular oil change $24.99.. full synthetic $64.99

That's why I do my own. $23 for synthetic oil from Walmart plus $8 for OEM filter.

Jman136, I had free oil changes for the first year when I bought my cx-5.After that I used coupons from mazda or online dealer service coupons (get 10.00 off) for my oil changes at the dealer.I have yet to personally change my oil on the cx-5 (feels good after about 40 years of changing my own oil).I've had 0w-20 and factory filter changes at the dealer for approx. 38 to 42 bux.Recently I had a coupon for oil change and tire rotation.Paid 53 with tax.

With the dealer doing service during warranty my oil changes are documented should their be a question later on if engine problems.Not to mention making a trip to buy oil and filter at about 32 bux and jacking it up ,cleanup and oil disposal trip to recycler.Not worth it to me, at least for now.I don't know what your dealer charges but for me the additional peace of mind is a bonus to the hassle factor.Just my take on things. Jmaz

Back again with a few more things.
1) the oil changes include a free car wash which varies in quality but it's decent most times.Nice in the winter when it's covered in salt.(No, I don't work for a dealer.just mentioning another bonus)

2)Do what you want, but no way in hell would I wait 7500 miles to dump the factory fill.My first oil change was at 2100 miles .My driving was a lot of short hops but even with half of those 2100 miles being highway (a trip @500 miles each way) the factory oil fill was watery thin and reeked of gasoline.Mazda moly or not, I wanted that s*** outta there.

2)Do what you want, but no way in hell would I wait 7500 miles to dump the factory fill.My first oil change was at 2100 miles .My driving was a lot of short hops but even with half of those 2100 miles being highway (a trip @500 miles each way) the factory oil fill was watery thin and reeked of gasoline.Mazda moly or not, I wanted that s*** outta there.

I can't agree strongly enough about that first oil change.
No way in hell should you run up to 7,500 miles on the factory new build oil.
I don't even wait 2,000 miles before changing it out.
The original factory oil will contain all of the crap from the engine break-in period, and needs to be dumped early.
I have always done this with all of my new cars, and I have never had a vehicle that burned oil later in life.
I would say do your first oil change after the break-in period, say at between 1,000 and 1,500 miles.

synthetic is required. I recommend 5w30 oil and 5000 mile changes unless you drive mostly highway.

Back