CX-5's 10-Speaker Bose Sound System Vs. Those of competitors

fexon

:
Ford Fiesta
Has anyone noticed a significant difference in the sound quality between Cx-5 and other compact SUVs that you test drove?

I’ve heard complaints from others about the quality of the system on the new CX-5 but I think it depends what you are listening to and how it is set up. Its as good as any system available in any other vehicle that I’ve come across without having to purchase an upgrade. My mate runs a LR Evoque and it is as good as the optional, very expensive Mark Levinson 14 speaker upgrade. Another friend ha an Aston Martin at his house the other day and the sound system was abysmal in that very expensive car.

My friend had the bose system in his 2007 Mazda 6 and it was fine... not very surround sound like, but Im sure thats fixed with the new version that supposedly has 10 speakers.

Im using the 11 speaker Hi-Fi system in my BMW as the basis for comparison, so mazdas Bose system is really not bad at all.

Mazda seems to be sound centric geared toward the front speakers, overall I think it sounds very good, but I listen to 60’s and 70’s classic rock so never really tested them with some good base! I will say tha Kashmir sounds pretty good though.

Mazda seems to be sound centric geared toward the front speakers, overall I think it sounds very good, but I listen to 60’s and 70’s classic rock so never really tested them with some good base! I will say tha Kashmir sounds pretty good though.
Surprisingly, they sounded good at any genre. The DAC must be a good one. For the "surround", algorithms are not bad at all. The lows sounded more like a pro-audio sub rolling off at around 60hz. You need to add another sub if your looking for more weight. However if it's 60s & 70s classic rock, they contain minimal 60hz below frequencies so you're good! Overall they're cannot be compared to a home hi-fi 2 channel system BUT it'll still make you tap your feet once you crank the volume. It blooms at around 36-48 on the volume knob. It doesn't clip past 54. The highs sounded like they're tapered off in the 15khz however in a car setting where the tweeters are near the driver, you won't mind at all. With the proper treble adjustment, it's not harsh at all given whatever kind of music you throw.

My tweeters were screechy/slightly distorted sounding at a certain high frequency pitch when I first got them. After about a month of break-in time this went away and now they sound great. Not uncommon for speakers to improve with time.

My tweeters were screechy/slightly distorted sounding at a certain high frequency pitch when I first got them. After about a month of break-in time this went away and now they sound great. Not uncommon for speakers to improve with time.
What is your volume level and treble setting?

Difference is significant between some of them. Have the 9 speaker Bose system and compared to CUVs in the same price segment, it is pretty good if not the best of the lot. Sounded underwhelming to begin with. Need to turn the Bass and Treble settings right up and Fade towards the rear speakers about 4 notches for balanced surround sound. Am keen to know from anyone who upgraded how the new 10 speaker subwoofer system sound compared to their old Bose system.

The Bose system Center Point and other cool features only work with CD’s, mp3 from an iPod or iPhone (or IPad for that matter). Otherwise, it is kind of a flat radio sound, even on Sirius.

Back