Anyone ever do a kl swap on a 98 protege?

98protege23

:
98 mazda protege 5 speed
I'm thinking about doing a kl swap on my 98 protege 5 speed, the 1.5 runs fine but since I have a child support lien on the car I'm stuck with it for a while lol. I would like to know if anyone has done this swap either with the klze or klde. And what I need in order to do it. Pics would be nice too!!

There are tens of swap threads, I know because I've read most of them. Hunt around and you'll find plenty of info. Happy hunting. Keep an eye out I'll have a thread for my ultimate protege build in the near future, including a NA KLZE build on my 2001

I'm thinking about doing a kl swap on my 98 protege 5 speed, the 1.5 runs fine but since I have a child support lien on the car I'm stuck with it for a while lol. I would like to know if anyone has done this swap either with the klze or klde. And what I need in order to do it. Pics would be nice too!!

if you want to do this build right, you would need to upgrade suspension (coilovers and sway bars ), add a longer final drive gear, preferably LSD and you will need better wider tires as well is upgraded brakes.

is your car manual?

Agreed, I've already got msp sway bars, shocks, springs, front/rear tower bars, speed 6 brakes front and rear, and some sticky 205/50R16 RE003s. Looking to put together a good gear set in the spare tranny case as well as a LSD. But, budget and such slowing me down. And if your cars not a manual the whole process just got more complicated.

Agreed, I've already got msp sway bars, shocks, springs, front/rear tower bars, speed 6 brakes front and rear, and some sticky 205/50R16 RE003s. Looking to put together a good gear set in the spare tranny case as well as a LSD. But, budget and such slowing me down. And if your cars not a manual the whole process just got more complicated.

Optimally if OP has a manual transmission he will want a 4.105 LSD final drive.

You can/should go a bit shorter <4.1 if you drive a lot of highway.

Yeah right now she screams at 110kph. Go for a KL03 swap and boost it. Do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions and the return on investment will be well worth it.

Back