Cabin Air Filter replacement

:
Mazda, GT,
Service recommends a Cabin Air Filter change at 30K miles. Don't know what the cost would be at the dealer, but I see they are on Ebay for less than $5.

Hi dueserdo,
Ebay answered for you if you had any doubt.
Look into OEM replacement part and you will see the price.
The price of the part is not the only issue on the recommended service. It is the labor that will be increase the price potentially.
When my wife, took her 3 hatchback to the dealer for oil change, they did that to her and if my memory does not fail me, was $80 for part and labor.
It almost gave me a heart attack, [emoji23][emoji23], and upset me a lot for 5' of work.
It is located behind the glove compartment.
Sometimes is better to check a local auto parts like: Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA for a replacement.

Part cost at the dealer is about $12.
Ebay ones are clone, not necessarily the same quality unless they are genuine Mazda parts.
It only takes about 1 min to replace it.
Please DIY.
In term of difficulty, it is about 0 star. (from 1 to 5)

Hi dueserdo,
Ebay answered for you if you had any doubt.
Look into OEM replacement part and you will see the price.
The price of the part is not the only issue on the recommended service. It is the labor that will be increase the price potentially.
When my wife, took her 3 hatchback to the dealer for oil change, they did that to her and if my memory does not fail me, was $80 for part and labor.
It almost gave me a heart attack, [emoji23][emoji23], and upset me a lot for 5' of work.
It is located behind the glove compartment.
Sometimes is better to check a local auto parts like: Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA for a replacement.

My older generation 3 really was an $80 job to replace the filter - had to take the glove box off the dash and disassemble other parts, then situate yourself upside down in the foot well to access it. Was 30-45 minutes if you knew what you were doing.

The $80 cabin air filter replacement is designed to rip off people who absolutely hate to DIY.
You can call it a big ripoff by dealers, and I think no one would disagree.

The $80 cabin air filter replacement is designed to rip off people who absolutely hate to DIY.
You can call it a big ripoff by dealers, and I think no one would disagree.
Yes, was dropping of my 2016 Cx5 GT for 2 year service (45k km) and on estimate they put 80 beside cabin air filter.
I've asked them what does it mean, and service lady told me it's the cost to replace filter (Canada).
Straight away I've asked her not to include it and that I'll take care of it myself.

Here you can get filter for 15- 25 CAD.

It simply boggles my mind how are they ripping people off for such a simple task.
I don't mind paying for more involved service that actually takes time.

Service recommends a Cabin Air Filter change at 30K miles. Don't know what the cost would be at the dealer, but I see they are on Ebay for less than $5.
I just ordered 3 CX-5s cabin filter for $4.11 each from eBay just want to see the quality level as it looks very similar to Mazdas Value Products OEM cabin filter with white frame:
$_1.JPG

Here are more detailed information on OEM cabin filters, and a cabint filter thread with more discussions suitable for How-To section:

Cabin Air Filter & Glove Box Removal

Went to Mazda dealer yesterday and took more pictures on 2016.5 CX-5's new charcoal cabin filter from factory, Mazda genuine non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X, and Mazda Value Products non-charcoal cabin filter with P/N KD45-61-J6X-MV. From the comparison picture below we can see the picture you posted earlier is Value Products with white plastic frame instead of black. Value Products cabin filter is about $10 cheaper than Mazda Genuine Parts on list price.

attachment.php

View attachment 216193

Hell naw to the naw naw naw.

No way dont pay the dealership for it. Buy them from autozone or auto parts store and do it yourself. Easy to do

Be advised - the Mazda OEM filter that is in the car will look incredibly dirty when you check it. It's like a grey charcoal color. When I checked mine around 10k I thought it was dirty so I replaced it. The new one was charcoal and looked dirty also.
I was used to the snow white colored filters.

Live and learn.

Be advised - the Mazda OEM filter that is in the car will look incredibly dirty when you check it. It's like a grey charcoal color. When I checked mine around 10k I thought it was dirty so I replaced it. The new one was charcoal and looked dirty also.
I was used to the snow white colored filters.

Live and learn.
Excellent advice. I bet many people had done the same thinking the factory cabin filter is dirty. Just follow Mazda's maintenance scheduke and replace factory cabin filter at 30,000 miles.

You must missed "don't throw out factory cabin filter too early" warning I posted before. That's why I went to my dealer taking pictures of those different OEM cabin filters for comparison just to show people.

I live in the South (Augusta, GA) - change mine yearly (every May), right after the major pollen season is through. It is absolutely FILTHY!!!!!

Back