JDM/Euro tailight bulb

Good_Old_Maui

:
2003 mazda protege5
so I have jdm/Euro tailight and one of the tailights burnt out and now I can't figure out what bulb they take someone please help me

Pull the assembly out and bring the burnt out bulb with you to the store. (3) 10mm bolts hold them onto the car

I took the bulb out but the lettering on the bulb is either in another language or it's just super faded out but regardless I can't see it

Ahhh. I'd bring the bulb with you to the auto parts store to cross reference the bulb then once you have the number, take the bulb to Meijer and buy a set there (usually cheaper)

They must be smoking something then. The bulbs are used in American/Canadian (idk where you're located) cars so to match the bulb up with the right part number should be something you can do. The guys behind the counter won't understand what it is you're looking for.

To put JDM tail lights on a US car, you simply plug them in. No need to change bulbs. Here's a pic of my P5 from 2004 or so
ard_N8.jpg

Bulbs aren't the same. You're right the assemblies plug in to the body harness. But the bulbs inside the assemblies themselves I believe are different.

Unless you're saying that the USDM wires and bulbs will fit into the EDM/JDM assemblies.

I have JDM lights on my P5 as well and never tried to fit the stock USDM wiring/bulbs into the JDM assemblies.

The bulb size is molded into the back of the tail light next to the bulb socket, but if you take the bulb to a store you should be able to match it up. Make sure if it is dual-filament (brake light) or amber, etc that you match them correctly.

I was wrong. Sorry bout that! I guess I never had a bulb go out. Anyway I did a quick search of this site and came up with this in about 5 seconds.

Correct bulb sizes for Protege5/Sport20 tail lamps (thanks Circuit)

US:
Rear turn signal 992 (7440A)
Tail light 7443
Stop light 7443
Back up light 921

Japanese:
Brake Light: 1157
Reverse Light: 1156
Turn Signal: 1156
Parking Light: 194? (I didn't change it but that's what it looks like)

From here:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123677697-JDM-Tail-Light-Bulb-Sizes

All good Hombre! (drinks)

The problem with trying to match the ones already in there is they are European spec bulbs with different designations for sizes.

Back