What to do

:
2016.5 CX 5 GT
I took my car into the dealer for the 15k service yesterday. It turned out to be a little more interesting than what I expected. On my way to the dealer, about a hour away, I had 3 separate incidents where the cruise control failed. Got a warning on the dash 'FORWARD RADAR BLOCKED'. The cruise disconnected itself and to get it to work again I had to turn cruise off/on a couple of times (talk about distracted driving!). So needless to say I thought this was lucky as I was going to the dealer. They checked and luckily the error condition did register on the computer, so they want the car back next week to see what needs to be done.

They did do the 15K service, but asked me about some other 'services' they recommend. Normally I tell these guys just follow the book, but I thought I would ask here about what you folks think about these 'suggestions'.
Air filter replacement (that one I am really ok with as all summer we have had nasty smoke from fires all over the state of Oregon). $40.00
The following I really don't think is necessary:
Minor fuel system cleaner. 99.95
Cooling system inspection / pressure test. 59.95
Lube caliper slide pins - Did I see something about this somewhere in the forum? 79.95 (minus $15 because tires already rotated)
Lube locks, latches, hinges, and door seals. 39.95
4 wheel alignment. 129.95

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
If youre not DIY kind of person, you should let them do:

Lube caliper slide pins - Did I see something about this somewhere in the forum?
Lube locks, latches, hinges, and door seals

May be on engine air filter but at 15K miles its still a bit too early even in severe driving condition.

You can do above by yourself and save a lot of money.

I was impressed your dealer knows the lack of lubrication on brake caliper pins from factory! Must be too common for them!

Dont do any of the rest mentioned.

I took my car into the dealer for the 15k service yesterday. It turned out to be a little more interesting than what I expected. On my way to the dealer, about a hour away, I had 3 separate incidents where the cruise control failed. Got a warning on the dash 'FORWARD RADAR BLOCKED'. The cruise disconnected itself and to get it to work again I had to turn cruise off/on a couple of times (talk about distracted driving!). So needless to say I thought this was lucky as I was going to the dealer. They checked and luckily the error condition did register on the computer, so they want the car back next week to see what needs to be done.

They did do the 15K service, but asked me about some other 'services' they recommend. Normally I tell these guys just follow the book, but I thought I would ask here about what you folks think about these 'suggestions'.
Air filter replacement (that one I am really ok with as all summer we have had nasty smoke from fires all over the state of Oregon).
The following I really don't think is necessary:
Minor fuel system cleaner
Cooling system inspection / pressure test
Lube caliper slide pins - Did I see something about this somewhere in the forum?
Lube locks, latches, hinges, and door seals
4 wheel alignment

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

The advice from yrwei52 makes sense. I would do those things myself. You can take out your air filter, look at it and decide if you think it is restricting flow.

Which dealer? Did they quote prices on the list of things they wanted to do? How much was the 15K and what did it include?

Thanks for feedback.... I have updated my original post to include prices.

As to what was done....
They perfored a 'multipoint vehicle inspection'. A whole slew of checks, such as tires, battery, brakes etc.

Lube and oil (I requested and got Mazda Moly oil)
Rotate tires

Total $87.00. That did include extra quart of oil for a spare.

My local dealer ( Northwest Indiana) charges $79.95 for alignment. You should not need this so soon, unless you like to play bumper cars with curbs.

My local dealer ( Northwest Indiana) charges $79.95 for alignment. You should not need this so soon, unless you like to play bumper cars with curbs.

Wow! If that $80 is for all 4 wheel alignment then my dealer is trying to make big $$. I haven't bounced off any curbs so that alignment won't happen.

I think just the filter, the caliper pin and locks being lubed will be enough. Then it will be interesting to see what went wrong with the cruise control.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

It would be nice if we could get hold of Mazda service protocol and see, at what mile (USA) or what Km (Europe), what needs to be done. The toyota here quotes a lump sum, and it is one minor service one year and a major service the other year. Both service in toyota would include oil and oil filter change plus cabin filter change plus checking the sp gravity of radiator fluid and topping up, and topping up of window washer antifreeze fluid. The major service in addition would include, brake fluid bleed and change, lubricating all hinges, engine airfilter change, inspection of brake discs, brake lines, suspension, battery etc. No tyre rotation since we do twice a year tyre rotation ourselves due to winter and summer tyres used. A toyota minor service is about 200 Euro and the major is about 350 Euro.

OK. Now I will try to answer my own question that I asked above. I have found service schedule for CX-5 from UK and Canada and what really surprises me is the tighter schedule in Canada (first service after only 6 months, that is crazy?) Here they are.
From UK.
https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/maintaining/service-schedules/#2s86tWo0K1X0lzRs.97

From Canada
https://ca.mazdacdn.com/common/en/pdf/maintenance/cx-5maintenance.ts.1703201822030000.pdf

Could this have to do with the cheap fuel in North America (more sulphur etc).

Changing cabin and engine air filter is actually relative. If the vehicle drives mostly on dusty roads then engine air filter should have shorten intervals. I also believe that a car driven heavily in very traffic conditions should change his oil earlier than usually prescribed.

OK... You folks have shamed me into changing my own air filter. I guess I just got lazy because I have done this in my previous cars. I looked at it and although not really bad I might as well be done with it. Thanks again, I think ��

Back