Touch-up up paint for 2017 CX5?

RKinMTL

:
2017 CX-5
I got some small chips in my hood, so popped into my dealer's parts dept for a tube/stick/whatever they might have as touch-up paint, as I've had for previous Mazdas from them before. I'm being told there's no info in the system about if or when a touch-up product will be made available. Anyone been able to order this from Mazda? Or have advice for getting paint to match this Soul Red Crystal Metallic I may regret choosing?

I got mine from my dealer. It’s comes in a pack with separate bottles for paint and acrylic.

I got mine from my dealer. It’s comes in a pack with separate bottles for paint and acrylic.

Did you get the 2017 Soul Red Crystal Metallic? If so...I guess the good news to me is that there IS an official Mazda "part" for this touchup, but the bad news is my dealership's parts department is too stupid to know it...

Did you get the 2017 Soul Red Crystal Metallic? If so...I guess the good news to me is that there IS an official Mazda "part" for this touchup, but the bad news is my dealership's parts department is too stupid to know it...

Mazda Canada just emailed me to say:

"I spoke to our parts department today and unfortunately, the red paint pen 46V is still under production. As soon as it becomes available, your dealer will contact you to let you know."

So...Mazda Canada tells me this is still under production, but you got it already at a Mazda dealer? May I ask where exactly?

Keep this updated if it becomes available. Don't open your hood while the windshield wipers are up (Unless you want a chip in your hood paint)

So I'll just go ahead and assume that Steem8 above is FOS because Mazda Canada and Mazda U.S. have both said the touchup paint is not yet available.

My dealership is supposed to call me when it becomes available...but based on Mazda's response to date I'm not holding my breath.

I sent an email to Mazda Canada, saying that if they can't provide a touchup paint product I'll just cite that fact when I return my vehicle at the end of my lease, if asked about any chips or rust spots that emerge as a result.

This combined with the fact that I still can't get a straight answer out of Mazda regarding the Android Auto update I've been waiting for...and Mazda has taken a few major steps down the ladder of customer service in my books...

I emailed my dealership yesterday about the Soul Red Crystal touchup paint for the 2017, CX-5 and they said they had it in stock. I went to pick it up, and he handed me the Soul Red. I told the employee that this is not the right color for my car. He insisted it was, so I told him to check again. He looked up my vin and said, "Your right, the touch-up paint for soul red crystal is not available due to quality control issues". Ugh

I emailed my dealership yesterday about the Soul Red Crystal touchup paint for the 2017, CX-5 and they said they had it in stock. I went to pick it up, and he handed me the Soul Red. I told the employee that this is not the right color for my car. He insisted it was, so I told him to check again. He looked up my vin and said, "Your right, the touch-up paint for soul red crystal is not available due to quality control issues". Ugh

Thanks for confirming.

Geez...does anyone remember the good old days when people took pride in being competent at their jobs?

just called my dealer, part number exist but not order-able due to QA reasons... UGHH

does anyone know if base coat is required ? or only mid coat?

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Mazda/2017-Mazda-CX-5-Bright-Red-Tricoat-46V.html

I got some small chips in my hood, so popped into my dealer's parts dept for a tube/stick/whatever they might have as touch-up paint, as I've had for previous Mazdas from them before. I'm being told there's no info in the system about if or when a touch-up product will be made available. Anyone been able to order this from Mazda? Or have advice for getting paint to match this Soul Red Crystal Metallic I may regret choosing?

I have Soul Red Crystal Metallic. . . my CX-5 is not quite 5 months old and I have at least 14 chips in my hood. . .that was a quick count I did today and there may more that appeared as dirt. I'm appalled by this. Is this common for this paint? It makes me sick. What is this going to look like in a year? I wish I had chosen a different color!

This may seem like a silly question, but I gt my touch up paint pen today. Is there a brush under the cap? How to get the cap off? I tried with a pliers but it is not coming off? What is the metail pin at the top used for?

No brush under the cap.
The metal "pin" houses a spring-loaded check ball.
Shake well, and then press the ball against the surface to release paint.
A flat toothpick or separate brush can be used to distribute the dispensed paint.

BTW, I've never been able to properly touch-up the paint on a vertical surface with one of these pens.

I've had very good results with the Dr. ColorChip products. https://www.drcolorchip.com/

Back