2.2 diesel head gasket?

:
CX5
Anyone replaced or had there head gasket replaced on a cx5 2.2 diesel ?

Initial thoughts are I just blew mine, bubbles and throws water out the radiator cap . Its due a service in 500kms so I would expect the oil to be full or over fill and its only at half but otherwise looks ok . Car has done 140,000kms , not impressed .

So just wondering if anyone has changed one and how it went etc and what my chances are that its just the gasket and not a cracked head etc .

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Ouch! I also own a diesel. I'll monitor this thread so I can get updates. Please keep us updated too. Any dilution on your engine oil?

Please keep us updated too. Any dilution on your engine oil?

Do you mean any indication of head failure in the oil , ie water contamination etc . No , oil looks fine except it is only half full when I would expect it to be over full 500km off an oil change .

Cheers
Chris

Yep , I believe thats where my missing litre or so of oil has gone . The engine has no visable leaks . Its hard to tell as the coolant is still reasonably green but does feel a tad oily . Will compare it to another cx5 tomorrow .
Contact the dealer tomorrow and see what they say/would do but I cant afford to have them do the head etc , money I dont have . It may get parked for a little while until I can afford to do something with it .

Cheers
Chris

No overheating prior but the day before I noticed temp was up a few degrees on normal , that propted the watr level check . I got it a bit warm on the test drive after filling the radiator thou , got to just over 100 getting back home .
Anyway at this stage its gone to mazda for checking out . See what they think it is and decide what to do from there.

Cheers
Chris

Well I got my car back from mazda on friday , they had it for nearly three weeks . Still cant complian , they replaced the engine . Not driven it yet but I expect all will be fine . After driving a little swift for 3 weeks it will be good to drive this again , a cats eye (road edge marker) feels like a speed bump in the swift .
Now that I have a new engine I really need to look into removing the dpf filter .

Cheers
Chris

Well I got my car back from mazda on friday , they had it for nearly three weeks . Still cant complian , they replaced the engine . Not driven it yet but I expect all will be fine . After driving a little swift for 3 weeks it will be good to drive this again , a cats eye (road edge marker) feels like a speed bump in the swift .
Now that I have a new engine I really need to look into removing the dpf filter .

Cheers
Chris
At who’s expense?

Mazda covered all the costs . They have installed a new long block . Given it has 140,000 km (~85,000 miles) on it and I did not buy it new , in fact brought it outside factory warranty , I was very surprised . I was not even planning to contact them about it , lucky I did .

Cheers
Chris

Congrats Chris! I mean it's good that Mazda covered your problem with warranty. If I may ask, how's your driving style? Are you an aggressive driver? I'm asking because I wanted to add some notes on my "owning and driving a Mazda diesel" list.

The trouble is I have only had the car since 105,000km's , only done 35,000 in it . No idea how it was driven the first 100,000 . As all of us I expect , I think I drive it quite easily . Fuel use is 6.7l/100km , I live 800m from the highway and work is again less than 1km from it so it does 70km a day at highway speeds pretty much . Only towed the offroader once with it and that is only 1000kgs all up . I brought it as it should be capable to tow that and needed the awd as we access farm land etc .
It will be back to the dealer , hopefully today , for them to look over post engine swap and also I suspect they have buggered the left front wheel bearing . If I was a guessing man I suspect the front axle did not want to come out and they probably beat on it , as you have to and the manual says to , and it has disturbed the already part worn bearing . We will see .

Chris

Many cases like that in countries that Mazda sell diesel engines.
1st symptom is oil level goes up due to coolant getting into oil.
The problem gets worse as diesel engines accrue mileage.

Last edited:
There were some issues with the early 2012/13 diesels in particular. Mostly related to camshafts and diesel oil dilution from the regen cycle. I would be pretty confident that the OP’s car is a 2012/13 build?

There were a number of changes after that made including software updates to address the issues. And as this case shows, Mazda has been pretty good at supporting affected owners even when they are way outside warranty - generally provided that the vehicle has a solid service record that can be validated.

The few cases I have heard of where Mazda has not helped in pretty significant ways were where there were no consistent service records, where incorrect oil was used, or where Mazda software or service bulletin checks/upgrades were never done.

Sometimes it can pay bigtime to have your car regularly serviced by the dealer..... they DO get service training and bulletins that other mechanics do not. Eg just got my 2015/6 diesel CX5 serviced and they mentioned when I picked it up that they had done a ecu software update and a diesel injection data reset. Doubt if someone doing self-servicing would have heard about that or know the implications of not having it done.

What many dont know is that there were also significant design changes that, amongst other things, relocated the DPF closer to the headers and brought associated system changes that were designed to address the fuel in oil issue. I think from recollection that these changes happened early 2014 but dont quote me on that. They were certainly in place for the mid model upgrade where the electric park brake was introduced. For cars where those changes were implemented in 2014 or thereabouts, at least here in Aus, there have been very few issues with the diesel engines.

So the issue the OP had is very unlikely to be an issue for anyone who purchases a new 2017 CX5 diesel.

New member here, thank you for the informative concerning the earlier vs. later CX 5s. The OP's post concerned me and you put those concerns to rest. We Mazda enthusiasts in the USA are waiting patiently for the CX5 diesel to arrive and according to a couple of local dealerships it's supposed to arrive by April/May 2018. Everything I've read other then the OP's post claims the diesel is worth waiting for. Can't wait to feel what roughly 400 pounds of torque feels like.
There were some issues with the early 2012/13 diesels in particular. Mostly related to camshafts and diesel oil dilution from the regen cycle. I would be pretty confident that the OP’s car is a 2012/13 build?

There were a number of changes after that made including software updates to address the issues. And as this case shows, Mazda has been pretty good at supporting affected owners even when they are way outside warranty - generally provided that the vehicle has a solid service record that can be validated.

The few cases I have heard of where Mazda has not helped in pretty significant ways were where there were no consistent service records, where incorrect oil was used, or where Mazda software or service bulletin checks/upgrades were never done.

Sometimes it can pay bigtime to have your car regularly serviced by the dealer..... they DO get service training and bulletins that other mechanics do not. Eg just got my 2015/6 diesel CX5 serviced and they mentioned when I picked it up that they had done a ecu software update and a diesel injection data reset. Doubt if someone doing self-servicing would have heard about that or know the implications of not having it done.

What many dont know is that there were also significant design changes that, amongst other things, relocated the DPF closer to the headers and brought associated system changes that were designed to address the fuel in oil issue. I think from recollection that these changes happened early 2014 but dont quote me on that. They were certainly in place for the mid model upgrade where the electric park brake was introduced. For cars where those changes were implemented in 2014 or thereabouts, at least here in Aus, there have been very few issues with the diesel engines.

So the issue the OP had is very unlikely to be an issue for anyone who purchases a new 2017 CX5 diesel.

This 2017 2.2 diesel of mine is a gem. At 7000 miles it is running like a Swiss watch and with zero oil consumption or dilution. They’ve got it right as far as I am concerned.

The problem only shows up when mileage is high.
I am with a forum of Mazda owners from another country that Mazda sell diesel vehicles.
Owners complained about this issues after 3-4 yrs of ownership with higher mileage.
Mazda mostly replaced their engines under warranty.
1st sign they saw is oil level went up.
Some owners had coolant all over the engine bay.
Maybe that is part of the reasons why Mazda is delaying diesel vehicles in USA.
They probably want to make sure diesel engines are reliable in USA, where reliability is very critical for buyers.

Many cases like that in countries that Mazda sell diesel engines.
1st symptom is oil level goes up due to coolant getting into oil.
The problem gets worse as diesel engines accrue mileage.

The oil level goes up due to diesel getting in, that’s normal. If the oil went up due to coolant getting in it would turn it grey.

The Diesel engine isn’t prone to these problems as you say.

My car is a 2013 build . As other posts say the oil is diluted by the regen cycle from the get go not only on high mile cars . This was an issue with the diesel from new and a software update was done to help the issue . I do not know much about it as I never brought the car new . I still do not like the idea of diluted oil but it had nothing to do with my failure . At 140,000 km my oil goes from full to under the x between services , I have never had the level warning .

This is more a symptom of how it is driven I believe , I do 70km a day on the highway . My work mate does 40km around town , he has had the over fill warning twice in the 35,000km he has had his .

I did not get any coolant in the oil , from my diagnosis it blew the head gasket plan and simple , overpressured the radiator and blew all the water out the overflow . This results in coolant all over the engine bay as is gets blown over the engine driving down the road , matching the description above .
Mazda confirmed it was a blown head gasket and fortunately for me the dealer said "Mazda are aware of a small number of faulty manufactured head gaskets , your car has the batch number identified . Mazda stand by there product so will be replacing your engine " . Good news for me , not so good for my work mate who has on a month older than mine with about the same km . He has no issues with his to date .

Overall I am happy with the car , it could do with a little more ground clearance at the front lip as I keep catching it around the farms . I get 6.5 litres per 100 km out of it , and in this country that makes it cheaper to run than the suzuki swift we have . To be honest I dont think the car needs any more power , I have had diesels for a many years now and struggle to go back to a petrol car . Sure the swift sport is probably a quicker car if you keep the revs up (compared to a diesel) but it cant compare to the low down pull of the cx5 , its just an easier drive overall .

I brought a high mile second hand car as I do high miles , in a year or so it will be at 250 to 300,000 km and I expect a throw away from a resale point of view . For the first time I am actually thinking of just trading it in for another one .

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Back