2.2 diesel head gasket?

Not necessarily. The pressure in the pipe is down to the pressure cap and my 2017 spews water through the tank like that.

I have filled up with coolant and bleed the system but after some driving it is empty again.

Checked and no leaks from engine. I will take my car to dealer on friday and let they conclude what is wrong. Hope I get it on warranty, car have full service history.

You gotta love Mazda!! I was with the car at dealer yesterday and they call me today, I got it on warranty! No problem at all.

I took out glow plugs and checked and there was something with cylinder nr 2, anyway car will be fixed on warranty.

Attachments

• glowplugs.jpg
    glowplugs.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,179
  • glow plugs 1 and 2.jpg
    glow plugs 1 and 2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • Glow plugs.jpg
    Glow plugs.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Glow plug nr2.jpg
    Glow plug nr2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,112
Yes it does look strange however, don’t do any more pulling parts because if they suspect you’ve been meddling they might withdraw from warranty.

Very good photos.

My car is at Mazda dealer and they will start to fix it tomorrow and they promised car back next friday. I told I have checked plugs and it was okay for them.

Got my Mazda back yesterday and now it's all okay with the car. It was broken headgasket on syl nr 2. They have changed new sylinder head with all the parts in it and head gasket. Got it on warranty so all the thumbs up for Mazda!

Head gasket is proving to be a common issue on the 2.2 diesel in Thailand. Mazda has extended the engine warranty to 6yr or 180000km as a result. The supply chain is not very good for the replacement parts. I personally know 2 people who have had to wait 1-2months for their engines to be repaired or replaced.

Sam

Thought I would check back in and see if there was anymore comments . When I saw the video from December , thats a blown head to me . Its not just the bubbles its the white stain on the engine cover that is not a good sign . Interesting to hear of more also being fixed under warranty . I definitely got a complete new long block when they fixed mine . I was without the car for a month , 3 weeks of that was waiting for an engine .

Still its been ok since , bar the exhaust pressure sensor failing and the a local dealer stuffing me around on the repair . To be honest the dealer network where I am is what lets the car down the most from teh dealings I have had with them so far .
Cheers
Chris

I have a CX5 2013 Diesel that has done 130000 kms with the exact same symptoms as the you tube video. I've had a number of mechanics confirm that its either a head gasket or crack in the head and the only option available is to replace it with a 2nd engine costing $9000 as the cost of a replacement head and fitting would cost even more.

I am not the original owner and although most of the services have been carried out by mazda I have done the last 2 myself so this probably wont help my case if I contact mazda but I wonder if there is a way of finding out if my engine is one of the batch that arewere effected by that defective head gasket issue?

If it is I would definitely be contacting them and worth the wait for them to diagnose and repair at no cost.
I've also read that there is a legal obligation for them to fix these types of issues even out of warranty due to a clause stating that the vehicle is 'not fit for purpose'.
Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

I have a CX5 2013 Diesel that has done 130000 kms with the exact same symptoms as the you tube video. I've had a number of mechanics confirm that its either a head gasket or crack in the head and the only option available is to replace it with a 2nd engine costing $9000 as the cost of a replacement head and fitting would cost even more.

I am not the original owner and although most of the services have been carried out by mazda I have done the last 2 myself so this probably wont help my case if I contact mazda but I wonder if there is a way of finding out if my engine is one of the batch that arewere effected by that defective head gasket issue?

If it is I would definitely be contacting them and worth the wait for them to diagnose and repair at no cost.
I've also read that there is a legal obligation for them to fix these types of issues even out of warranty due to a clause stating that the vehicle is 'not fit for purpose'.

Cheers.

Hi DJ,
fyi!
From 2017,mazda Taiwan has stopped selling CX-5 or Mazda6 model equiped with 2.2D Diesel engine due to there were hundreds of cases reported on Mazda CX-5/Mazda6 2.2D
having head gasket blown issue,the obvious symptom is overflowing/boilng coolant from sub-tank caused by overheating of the engine.

According to the RIDICULOUS announcement of Taiwan's Mazda(https://www.mazda.com.tw/news/offers/20180906/), the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine model is easy to increase the combustion pressure and temperature inside the engine if it is driven at a high level on a 5% steep slope. The investigation found that if this driving mode is continued,
high-pressure combustion gas will enter the engine coolant line through the cylinder gasket, which may cause the coolant to overflow from the sub-tank cover.
To prevent this from happening, Mazda Taiwan is currently preparing to change the engine's internal combustion pressure and temperature without excessively increasing through the engine control program.

It seems that Mazda is trying to fix this HW design issue through changing the SW(uhm).
however Mazda cannot commit 100% to fix it.
further more, based on our statistical data, one-third of the CX-5/Mazda6 2.2D users could encounter this issue ,especially, when the milage is >100000 km

Currently in TW, regardless of whether the vehicle is still in the warranty or not, mazda would replace a new engine for free, a new engine with the same design flaw, that's why we have someone here driving his Mazda6 2.2d with it's fourth engine.

Last edited:
⋯ From 2017,mazda Taiwan has stopped selling CX-5 or Mazda6 model equiped with 2.2D Diesel engine due to there were hundreds of cases reported on Mazda CX-5/Mazda6 2.2D
having head gasket blown issue,the obvious symptom is overflowing/boilng coolant from sub-tank caused by overheating of the engine.
Its been reported here in this long diesel thread US Diesel's big splash introduction back in June. Looks like this issue is happening on higher-mileage 2.2L diesel engine from many countries, Taiwan、Australia、Thailand、Norway, just based on this particular thread.

Heres the latest info on diesel issue from Taiwan:

【獨家】百萬柴油車爆引擎瑕疵無預警降速 220車主串連迫車商補救

Must be an issue there only because no reports of over-heating here and we have the updated engine.

Japan also has the updated engine and a search on Google brings up no such issues at this time
I googled for you and there're many news and discussions in Taiwan on overheating and blown head gasket incidents from 2014~2016 diesel CX-5 with as low as 60,000 km / 37,500 miles since September last year. Mazda in Taiwan hasn't got any resolutions from Mazda Japan, and the reputation of diesel CX-5 has been ruined because of this hence the stop-sale on 2019 diesel CX-5. The similar incidents are also happening in Thailand and Mazda in Thailand has extended powertrain warranty to cover any diesel problems. You can use Google translator to read them if you're interested:

Mazda 柴油車引擎出問題,馬自達:總社調查中並提供免費檢修!

請問柴油引擎災情有後續進度嗎?

CX-5的車主生氣了!

Mazda柴油引擎的高里程的隱憂

二代柴馬CX5要退單嗎? 看到一代柴馬六萬公里換引擎要二十萬元

And there's a Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan on FaceBook which has full of complains on weak windshield and problematic SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. The problems on diesel are ranging from oil dilution、failed transmission、DPF regeneration issue、and engine overheating without any warning light which makes head gasket blown.

Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan FaceBook

Hi DJ70,

Just wanted to see if you had any luck with Mazda? I've just bought a CX-5 that has the same issues that I was unaware when buying, it does have a service record, not from mazda but a mechanic however one of the earlier services were missed so I just want to see if anyone has had any luck getting mazda to replace if it hasn't been serviced by them or had one missed service in the log book?

Cheers

Cheers.

Hi DJ70,

Did you have any luck with Mazda? I'm in the same situation however have not contacted mazda as yet

Back