Stepping down... I think these will fit, thoughts?

Topdown99

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hey all,

looking for wheels for my '14 AWD GT. the 19's are decent but I dislike the 19" size of wheel. So, rather than go to a 20" I figured I would save a little $$ on the wheels and a lot over time on tires by going to an 18".

I am looking at:
MR1337-500.png

With a decent/quiet all-season (like a Michelin Premier LTX)

They are 8.5" wide with either a +35 or +45 offset... I want flush but not sticking out.

I've been searching and reading posts looking for wheel size/offset specs but I honestly cant tell which offset would give me what I want. Some rides look great at +35, some look great at +45. all I can really tell is that if I go from a 7" +50 to an 8.5" +45, it will move the wheel outward "under an inch".

I'm looking for thoughts/feedback from those of you that have done it, with both good and bad results

Thanks!
-Ryan

From what I've seen on here, +42 - +45 offsets on wider wheels look pretty good as far as fitment goes. So in this case I would say get the +45 offset wheel. You can get a 5mm spacer later if you want to push it some more. If you get the +35 offset wheel and it pokes more than you want to, you can't do anything about it.

Edit: Another option is to just order 1 wheel and test the fitment. Then you can decide from there.

Go for 45 offset, they are closer to OEM spec.

I would recommend a tire from this list:
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama-tires.jsp

They are better suited to a Mazda. If this is going to be your summer set, I would get some better performing tires.

Have you decided what tire size you wanna get? I wouldnt go over a 55 sidewall, but the stock 19s already have a 55 sidewall so you would need to get 235/60/r18 or something like that. If you like a sporty ride and enjoy how your car handles. Stick to 55/r19 instead and regardless what you do, look for lightweight rims.

Do you guys look at the scrub radius, Having a positive or negative scrub radius seems to affect the vehicle performance while braking, accelerating cornering etc.,

maintaining the same Wheel rim size of OEM is best option. Ofcourse you can always get aftermarket bigger wider wheels. But you have have to make sure you counter with proper Hub / adapter to maintain the offset.

I am trying to find a Winter wheel tire package myself and debating on what to get.

I want to use a common winter tire set that I can use on my Mazda CX 5 '17 and my sedan, I want to swap the winter set driving the CX5 and sedan in snow every 4 weeks. so I am not using the same car throughout the winter. crazy but thats would be economical rather than having 2 winter wheel tire sets for each car.

My 2 cars OEM tire and wheel dimensions

TIRE WHEEL PCD BORE
SEDAN 235 40 19 19 8 - J 40 5*114.3 64.1
CX5 225 55 19 19 7 - J 45 5*114.3 67.1

I want to use a common winter tire set that I can use on my Mazda CX 5 '17 and my sedan, I want to swap the winter set driving the CX5 and sedan in snow every 4 weeks. so I am not using the same car throughout the winter. crazy but thats would be economical rather than having 2 winter wheel tire sets for each car.

My 2 cars OEM tire and wheel dimensions

TIRE WHEEL PCD BORE
SEDAN 235 40 19 19 8 - J 40 5*114.3 64.1
CX5 225 55 19 19 7 - J 45 5*114.3 67.1

Doesnt make any sense to switch rims every 4 weeks, especially considering that your two cars require different tire sizes.

Why not just use one car for the winter?

Back