CX-5 Buy now or wait? - 2017.5 or 2018 model coming?

:
2017 Cx-5
First post here for a person whos been researching and lurking in this great forum! I wanted to ask you guys what you would do in my situation.

• I'm looking to buy a North American CX-5 (Touring level) (FWD or AWD) (w/PEP) in the next month or so (based on a new job starting in beginnning of November which will put higher miles on my current reliability prone/dying car).

• Since this is the time of the year with newly announced 2018 models being released (including Maxda ie 2018 CX-3 and 2018 CX-9) first I wanted to see if anyone has insight on when either a half mode refresh (2017.5) or 2018 CX-5 will be released very soon. My guess it'll be a 2017.5 designation based on 2017 being a major update. Also, perhaps the release of a 2017.5 or 2018 model will coincide timing wise with the release of the diesel model (if and when ever that occurs in the next 1-3 months).

• I'm mainly asking to save a little bit of money by jumping on any previous 2017 inventory saving a few hundred or thousands off of prices we see with the current model (I would hate to by a 2017 model at the end of October then fine the corporate announcement of the 2018 model arriving in November). My window of making a decision is narrow as I'll ideally want to buy at the end of October as buying at the end of November/December might be a fiasco due to the holidays/vacations.

Last edited:
First post here for a person whos been researching and lurking in this great forum! I wanted to ask you guys what you would do in my situation.

• I'm looking to buy a North American CX-5 (Touring level) (FWD or AWD) (w/PEP) in the next month or so (based on a new job starting in beginnning of November which will put higher miles on my current reliability prone/dying car).

• Since this is the time of the year with newly announced 2018 models being released (including Maxda ie 2018 CX-3 and 2018 CX-9) first I wanted to see if anyone has insight on when either a half mode refresh (2017.5) or 2018 CX-5 will be released very soon. My guess it'll be a 2017.5 designation based on 2017 being a major update. Also, perhaps the release of a 2017.5 or 2018 model will coincide timing wise with the release of the diesel model (if and when ever that occurs in the next 1-3 months).

• I'm mainly asking to perhaps jump on any previous 2017 inventory possibly saving a few hundred or thousands off of prices we see with the current model. My window of making a decision is narrow as I'll ideally want to buy at the end of October as buying at the end of November/December might be a fiasco due to the holidays/vacations.

The 2017 came out not just a few months ago.
If you want to jump on "previous" inventory, there are still lots of 2016.5's available, but arguably the 2017 is a huge upgrade.

Unless you're waiting on the diesel (you might be waiting forever), I don't think the 2017.5/2018 will be any different from the 2017.

Do you really need a CUV? If you're going to have a long commute and you don't need AWD or the extra cargo space, I would argue the Mazda6 is the better option. The 2017.5 models also get more standard features now.

Mazda model years don't coincide with calendar. So 18 can come out 7 months later.
As for discounts 2017 will be costlier than 16.5 if any. 17 is an upgrade on many aspects.
Touring with pep is great trim.

I asked about 2018s when doing my CX5 test drive, was told March for the 2018s CX5.

My only beef about Mazda is I wish they had more power. If the 6 had more power and AWD, I would be all over that. I have been looking at Sport sedans for a few months now and the 6 in my price range is one hot number. Instead I am looking at the CX5 as a long time keeper and then possible get a used 6 later on as a summer driver(I work in snow country, need AWD with ground clearance)

I have a 2016.5 I got a month ago with a nice big discount, not sure sure if there is a 2017.5 model. If you are doing a lot of driving and need some extra room a 3 hatchback might do you good. I had a 2012 3 sedan and would easily get 40 mpg on the highway and close to 30 around town.

Cant agree the 2017 is a huge upgrade than 2016.5 CX-5 as the engine、transmission、and drive-train basically the same. If I were looking for a new CX-5 right now Id find a brand new 2016.5 model like jjbiv just did for only $19K before TTL!

Purchased a 2016.5 CX-5 Sport at AutoNation Mazda in Fort Worth, Texas this weekend after shopping every dealer in the state and after Garlyn Shelton Mazda in Temple refused to honor an offer on their website (and which had been confirmed via email).

MSRP: $24,675
- Dealer discount: $3,609
=Selling price: $21,066
- Mazda rebate: $2,000
=Taxable total: $19,066
+Sales tax: $1,191.63
+Misc. fees: $386.26
=Total OTD: $20,643.89

I asked about 2018s when doing my CX5 test drive, was told March for the 2018s CX5.

My only beef about Mazda is I wish they had more power. If the 6 had more power and AWD, I would be all over that. I have been looking at Sport sedans for a few months now and the 6 in my price range is one hot number. Instead I am looking at the CX5 as a long time keeper and then possible get a used 6 later on as a summer driver(I work in snow country, need AWD with ground clearance)

Thanks for the intel. When he said March 2018 was he referring to the standard petrol CX-5s, the diesel, or perhaps the grouping both varieties within the same time? (which would make sense)

Cant agree the 2017 is a huge upgrade than 2016.5 CX-5 as the engine、transmission、and drive-train basically the same. If I were looking for a new CX-5 right now Id find a brand new 2016.5 model like jjbiv just did for only $19K before TTL!

Whats appealing to me for the 2017 model year are all the "soft" benefits that were introduced in that model year (new styling, added sound dampening material, tweaked interior, etc). Based on wanting those benefits the 2017 model year is what I'll only focus on for now.

Do you really need a CUV? If you're going to have a long commute and you don't need AWD or the extra cargo space, I would argue the Mazda6 is the better option. The 2017.5 models also get more standard features now.

Agreed

But the Mazda 6 is lower and lighter with the same engine. It feels peppy.

• I'm mainly asking to perhaps jump on any previous 2017 inventory possibly saving a few hundred or thousands off of prices we see with the current model. My window of making a decision is narrow as I'll ideally want to buy at the end of October as buying at the end of November/December might be a fiasco due to the holidays/vacations.

If they do a refresh, it would be very minor as it was only released the first quarter of this year. More than likely the 2017.5/2018 would include the long vaunted diesel

Why would Mazda be about 6 months behind in bringing out the 2018's? Does not seem a plausible marketing strategy for competitive reasons.

Why would Mazda be about 6 months behind in bringing out the 2018's? Does not seem a plausible marketing strategy for competitive reasons.

I share your sentiments. However other car manufacturers are also doing this. Doesn't make it logical though.

What do you mean? Its not 2018 yet. I know that in North America models are released one year ahead of everywhere else in the world, absolutely no idea why but I believe this is what you guys are talking about.

Latest posts

Back