Ceramic car coating

Has anyone ever done a ceramic coating on their CX-5? I just bought a new CX-5, and want to do a ceramic coating while the paint is still perfect. I'm thinking about trying out 9H. Any products you would recommend for doing a ceramic coating? Any tips or advice would be great.

Here's my CX-5 with a triple coating of Optimum Gloss Coat - should last around two years is what i was informed with maintenance.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/109635-felt-blessed-one-2017-mazda-cx5.html

I like BlackFire Total Polish & Seal followed by BlackFire Crystal Seal Paint Sealant. There are so many products out there it will make your head spin, so I like to keep it simple. However I will use whatever products I have in my arsenal that respond best to the paint I am working on. If I could figure out how to upload pics I would post my 2017 cx-5 to show how nice it shines.

I just purchase a Soul Red CX-5 and plan on Ceramic coating it. I did my Corvette in the fall. It is a labor intensive job, started Friday night and finished Sunday afternoon but it was well worth it. i went with Adams, they have a kit that worked out great. Basically its wash, clay bar, polish to the level your particular car needs, prepping solution and then the coating. the coating itself is easy to apply just check out the videos. My car is 2 weeks from the dealer so I plan on Claying it, prepping it and then coating.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=YeUTBeOSPYU&usg=AOvVaw21oIOcLEYZoaNvfYGv1PYt

it's also good to ensure the car has a very generous layer of wax before applying the ceramic layers.

it's also good to ensure the car has a very generous layer of wax before applying the ceramic layers.

NO!!!

Do not put wax on before the ceramic. Ceramic should be applied to the clear coat directly. That’s why your instructions will tell you to clean the car thoroughly before applying.

Yet another statement by this guy that is 100% false on every level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coatings need to go on a 100% clean surface, nothing but Clear coat or single stage paint. Never ever ever wax and the apply a coating, unless you really like watching your hard work go to waste. Coatings need to setup with and bond with the clear coat.

My god, this GJ-Molestor just go away already, or at least think before you open your often incorrect mouth.

Save your money and put a good coat of synthetic wax on it!

Synthetic was isn't going to save you from paint chips like ceramic coating will. I didn't put a ceramic coating on my CX-5 when I bought it, and I now regret not doing that.
Take a look at the forums, and you'll see how easily the paint chips on the CX-5.

Synthetic was isn't going to save you from paint chips like ceramic coating will. I didn't put a ceramic coating on my CX-5 when I bought it, and I now regret not doing that.
Take a look at the forums, and you'll see how easily the paint chips on the CX-5.

Ceramic coating isn't going to prevent rock chips. It's super super thin. Like nanometers thin I believe. You'll need one of the clear films for that.

Coating will resist swirls, paint fade, repel water, prevent etching from corrosive stuff like bird poop. Washing the car is much easier, no longer need to wax and polish (but you can do it still).

I think it does eventually need to get reapplied. Like after a few years, depending. But the stuff is extremely hard and scratch resistant. IMO a worthwhile investment if you've ponied up for a new vehicle.

Nothing short of a PPF is going to save you from rock chips. Coatings are very thin and do not offer rock chip protection regardless of what the marketing for some off brand coatings tell you. They do however help prevent swirls and minor scratches. Maybe not 100% prevent them but the coating acts as a sacrificial layer. The coating is what will get scratched and marred and not your paint. When it's time to re coat, polish off old coating and gone are the swirls, leaving a clean, clear paint ready for coating again.

Nothing short of a PPF is going to save you from rock chips. Coatings are very thin and do not offer rock chip protection regardless of what the marketing for some off brand coatings tell you. They do however help prevent swirls and minor scratches. Maybe not 100% prevent them but the coating acts as a sacrificial layer. The coating is what will get scratched and marred and not your paint. When it's time to re coat, polish off old coating and gone are the swirls, leaving a clean, clear paint ready for coating again.

I wish I had known better about protecting paint from swirls earlier on when I bought mine. Never even heard of a coating before the last couple years.

Sadly will need to paint correct my CX-5.

While this is technically true but reality is very different. My earlier car had dealer applied $900 ceramic coating. It was even warranty for 5 years. However, the catch is - absolutely no automatic car washes. The other type of washes are : costly by thrice the amount. Anyways, I decided to still follow the regime and had it always professionally cleaned in a detailing place known for taking care of such matters. Within 18 months of use I find tons of micro scratches - similar to swirl marks, etc all over the front fender, hood, sides, etc. Went back to dealer and apparently its pretty normal. Road grime, dust particles all can cause this. Lets not forget quite a few rock chips, here and there.

Amount was of course low - these swirl marks, etc. but still there. If I do the Maths its simply not worth it. $900 for 5 years but add to it $40 car wash twice a month and then to top it still having to do all the polishing, etc. - nah: for my CX-5 its 3 times / year clay/polish/wax: which I think is the best. If I lived in rural/dusty/muddy areas a proper clear paint film will be a better choice then rather than these new fancy ceramic coatings.

Last edited:
While this is technically true but reality is very different. My earlier car had dealer applied $900 ceramic coating. It was even warranty for 5 years. However, the catch is - absolutely no automatic car washes. The other type of washes are : costly by thrice the amount. Anyways, I decided to still follow the regime and had it always professionally cleaned in a detailing place known for taking care of such matters. Within 18 months of use I find tons of micro scratches - similar to swirl marks, etc all over the front fender, hood, sides, etc. Went back to dealer and apparently its pretty normal. Road grime, dust particles all can cause this. Lets not forget quite a few rock chips, here and there.

Amount was of course low - these swirl marks, etc. but still there. If I do the Maths its simply not worth it. $900 for 5 years but add to it $40 car wash twice a month and then to top it still having to do all the polishing, etc. - nah: for my CX-5 its 3 times / year clay/polish/wax: which I think is the best. If I lived in rural/dusty/muddy areas a proper clear paint film will be a better choice then rather than these new fancy ceramic coatings.

The research I did before springing for the coating indicated that it's best to stay away from getting this done through the dealer. Better to have it done by a well-regarded pro who is entirely transparent and honest as to method and products. These guys' reputations are critical to them -- someone who consistently does a bad job or uses sub-par products is not going to fool customers for long. Ideally you'd use a pro who is certified for application of the high-end products, has been doing it for a number of years, and has a good reputation.

IMO, in your case it sounds like either the dealer applied the coating poorly and/or used a crappy product. I would say this experience is more an indictment of the dealer than a warning against ceramic coatings in general.

Either your coating product is not all that great or the place you have it washed isn't all that great. I coated my car after I got it and have been hand washing myself every 2 weeks or so for the past three years. The car still looks brand new. I'll need to re apply the coating this spring once it warms up a bit but it's held up really well even through Wisconsin winters. The key to keeping the finish pristine is proper wash technique.

Latest posts

Back