A couple of quick questions from a new 2017 CX5 owner

frogger

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
I just got my new 2017 Mazda CX5 GT on Saturday. Today, I noticed two things I didn't see and I'm curious where they are.

1. How do you lock the glove compartment? The glove compartment door and latch don't have a key hole. Is it hidden somewhere I'm not seeing or does it not lock?

2. If the battery on your keyfob dies, where is the manual ignition? I see the key lock on the driver's door to get in, but where is the ignition hidden in case you have to start it the old fashioned way?

1. It does not lock

2. Touch the back of the fob to the start button and start it that way. It is explained in the owner's manual the steps needed to make it work(section 4-9 I believe)

2. If the battery on your keyfob dies, where is the manual ignition? I see the key lock on the driver's door to get in, but where is the ignition hidden in case you have to start it the old fashioned way?

2. Touch the back of the fob to the start button and start it that way. It is explained in the owner's manual the steps needed to make it work(section 4-9 I believe)

There is a little RFID chip in the fob, so even if the battery is dead, you can press the back of the fob into the start button and it will start.

Is a lock on the glove compartment really useful?

If the fob's battery dies, use the metal key to get in.
Put the fob next to the start button. When the light turns green, press it to start.

So in that event, when you open the door using the key, it will also trigger the alarm. However the alarm will automatically shut down when you place the FOB near the start button. Am I correct?

Is a lock on the glove compartment really useful?

Yes. For situations like valet parking, having your vehicle serviced, car washes, etc... It won't keep out a determined thief, but someone trying to make a quick grab while no one is looking is stopped. I've owned MANY different cards, trucks and SUVs for the last 30 years. This is the first one that did not have a lock on the glove box. I never even thought to look during the test drive since I thought of it the same as a steering wheel or a driver's seat. Cars just come with them.

If the fob's battery dies, use the metal key to get in.
Put the fob next to the start button. When the light turns green, press it to start.

Thank you. That helps.

So in that event, when you open the door using the key, it will also trigger the alarm. However the alarm will automatically shut down when you place the FOB near the start button. Am I correct?

Depends on your market. Here, we don't have alarms.

Not sure. Maybe the alarm will be disarmed when the metal key is used to open the door.
That would make more sense to me.

Look on the bright side. If a crackhead breaks your window....a broken glove compartment means even more $ out of pocket.

At least a lock might keep a passenger from messing around in there while I'm trying to drive.

Not sure. Maybe the alarm will be disarmed when the metal key is used to open the door.
It should and makes sense but I already tested it and unfortunately it doesn't. [emoji16]

I also asked the dealership if there's an override switch after opening the door with the physical key just like regular aftermarket alarms. None.

Maybe the thieves need a tissue from the glovebox (rofl)
Funny you say that... We had a car broken into and everything was everywhere... The only thing taken was a pack of baby wipes from the glove box...

Funny you say that... We had a car broken into and everything was everywhere... The only thing taken was a pack of baby wipes from the glove box...
Desperate times call for desperate measures

It should and makes sense but I already tested it and unfortunately it doesn't. [emoji16]

I also asked the dealership if there's an override switch after opening the door with the physical key just like regular aftermarket alarms. None.
Tested it. Alarm sounded when the mechanical key is used. And after placing the key near the start switch and turning the engine on, alarm turned off.

Tested it. Alarm sounded when the mechanical key is used. And after placing the key near the start switch and turning the engine on, alarm turned off.

That sounds exactly like my old Holden V6 (Chevy) of 10 years ago.

Glad alarms here are no longer common place.

That sounds exactly like my old Holden V6 (Chevy) of 10 years ago.

Glad alarms here are no longer common place.
And I was wondering if I need to put additional alarm. I guess I don't need it anymore. I just need a higher volume of that "siren" sound. It was not so "alarming". [emoji1]

Back