How do you clean the exterior black trim?

husker3in4

:
2016.5 CX-5 Touring
I have a 2016 CX-5 Touring. Its white with black trim. I wash the car and trim, then wax the paint. The car will look super shiny, but the trim looks kinda dull and spotty, even after I wash it. What is the best way to give it the deep, black, wet look? Maybe some interior cleaner? or tire black? or should I wax the trim?

I wax the trim with the same wax I use on the paint, works great!

In the past I had issues with some waxes leaving white streaks on black plastic trim but since I switched to Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax not only are there no issues but it looks great. This wax even removed the white streaks left over from the previous waxes.

YMMV

I wax the trim with the same wax I use on the paint, works great!

In the past I had issues with some waxes leaving white streaks on black plastic trim but since I switched to Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax not only are there no issues but it looks great. This wax even removed the white streaks left over from the previous waxes.

YMMV
I can also vouch for this same method using the COLINITE 845 Insulator Wax.

i use Chemical Guys V_R_P_Super_Shine_Dressing_, with a microfiber towel , love it,

I've been using meg's hyper dressing on the blacks, including the tires. For plastic, spray on and polish with microfiber. It's water based so it won't build up or brown over time or blotch paint when you overspray and you can adjust shine by adding water in the spray bottle.

If you get white streaks from a carnauba wax, a magic eraser works perfectly to remove it.

Otherwise, I have also switch to Ultimate Liquid Wax and it works great on the car, and works on the plastic!

I tried some of that black trim stuff, but it usually washes right out after a wash.

Last edited:
Mothers Heavy duty trim cleaner works wonders on getting any old residue off of black trim. This is different then their Back to Black product which I have never been a fan of. The heavy duty trim cleaner comes with a little stiff brush and it takes awhile to get all the way around the car cleaning but it does a great job at removing streaks and left over wax. Then follow up with a good trim restorer or like others have said a wax/sealant that is trim safe like Meguiars Ultimate Liquid wax

Back