What's the transmission fluid change interval on a Mazda CX-5?

My CX-5 shows a rough, clunking, jerking shift when I first drive it (engine cold). After it warms up it shifts OK. Do you think a trans fluid change would help? I have 25K miles.

I think there is a TSB on shift shock that might cover you actually. Software update and/or do the shift point re-learn procedure. I had some early shift weirdness and did the re-learn procedure in an empty parking lot. It helped.

I think there is a TSB on shift shock that might cover you actually. Software update and/or do the shift point re-learn procedure. I had some early shift weirdness and did the re-learn procedure in an empty parking lot. It helped.

Do you know where I could find the TSB number to take to the dealer? How did you do the 're-learn procedure'? Thanks.

Alrighty then, so the guy go to the dealer so they can tell him that they couldnt replicate the issue and send him on his way with half a day wasted. The dealer is useless and uneducated about the own cars they sell, why would you ever want to take your car there for service and let some 18 year old monkeys working a summer job **** around with your car?

The transmission speciality shop I went to had absolutely no troubles working on my ZF 8 speed transmission which is far more complicated compared to Mazdas unit.
Maybe you should drive down here to good ol' Pa and visit my dealer. They actually DO know what they're doing, and if you're real nice you might even get a free bottle of water...(poke)

Last edited:
Maybe you should drive down here to good ol' Pa and visit my dealer. They actually DO know what they're doing, and if you're real nice you might even get a free bottle of water...(poke)

Unfortunately this is not the case for many other Mazda dealers across North America.

trusting the dealer to replicate your issue and fix the problem without simply dropping a new transmission into your car is impossible.

Sure he could, and he's been doing the maintenance to offset that aggressiveness by changing his trans fluid at an early interval. I believe he said shifting was better afterwards like you mentioned before.

Yeah, and his transmission is also dead as a dog, now. Fluid change or not.

Yeah, and his transmission is also dead as a dog, now. Fluid change or not.

I was just merely commenting on probably why his fluid was so discolored at such an early mileage keeping in mind his driving style, and also remembering how he said it shifted so much better afterwards. I wasn't inferring that you could drive like hell all of the time and fluid changes would protect you forever. Like paris1 said, beat the crap out of something and eventually something will break no matter what.

Last edited:
Couldn't he just disconnect/reconnect the battery?

I don't think this resets it. The TSB would probably just do that. Must be stored in non-volatile memory.

Come to think of it, when I replaced my battery last year I didn't have to change any settings at all, even on the radio.

Last edited:
Back