What's the transmission fluid change interval on a Mazda CX-5?

Never, ever do a drain and fill to your transmission, and especially not at 60+k! You will very likely cause transmission problems.

The only correct way is to drop the pan so you can replace the cartridge (filter).

The ONLY prescribed atf listed anywhere for the skyactiv transmission is ATF type FZ... anything else is guinea pig territory.

Your driving style is a little more spirited, it's a little harder on most trans fluids. Might have something to do with it.
In addition to old ATF drained out looks much darker, members like CX-5um and gova were also reported that the shift has become smoother and slicker after the ATF drain-and-fill.

In addition to old ATF drained out looks much darker, members like CX-5um and gova were also reported that the shift has become smoother and slicker after the ATF drain-and-fill.
I get that and have no issue with it. My point was that driving styles have an influence on trans fluid life. If you're always mashing the pedal to the floor, towing, doing a lot of mountainous driving, or doing lots of stop and go traffic in the city, you're going to generate more internal heat which shortens the life of trans fluid.

Last edited:
I get that and have no issue with it. My point was that driving styles have an influence on trans fluids. If you're always mashing the pedal to the floor you're going to generate more internal heat which shortens the life of trans fluid.
I guess my point is a person who has always been recommending 1193cc/78hp Mitsubishi Mirage cant be an aggressive driver like you implied? (whistle)

BTW, just noticed Chris_Top_Her now is the moderator of CX-3、CX-5、and CX-9 forums, congrats! ;)

I guess my point is a person who has always been recommending 1193cc/78hp Mitsubishi Mirage can’t be an aggressive driver like you implied? (whistle)

BTW, just noticed Chris_Top_Her now is the moderator of CX-3、CX-5、and CX-9 forums, congrats! ;)
Sure he could, and he's been doing the maintenance to offset that aggressiveness by changing his trans fluid at an early interval. I believe he said shifting was better afterwards like you mentioned before.

Last edited:
45minute job. Do it @50K with MAZDA ATF. If you intend to keep it for a while.

So I am at 54k miles on my 2014. So....is this something I should look at doing? If I don't what happens?

So I am at 54k miles on my 2014. So....is this something I should look at doing? If I don't what happens?
Purely preventative maintenance IMO. Fluid related failures are basically non-existent. You might get some restored performance out of it.

Purely preventative maintenance IMO. Fluid related failures are basically non-existent. You might get some restored performance out of it.

Agreed. I'd do it if unit began seeming sluggish or started having hiccups (my last never-change Mazda AT did around 50k actually - so I changed it and it was improved). It's interesting the engineers don't assign a life to it.

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd do it if unit began seeming sluggish or started having hiccups (my last never-change Mazda AT did around 50k actually - so I changed it and it was improved). It's interesting the engineers don't assign a life to it.

Feeds the illusion of no/low maintenance. Remember, they're only on the hook for 60k miles or 5 years. If this was a police model, you'd probably see a 45k mile fluid change recommendation or somewhere thereabouts.

Yes, transmission performance will improve.

So that means you call engine oil changes preventative maintenance as well? While transmission fluid does not get contiminated nearly as much or as often as engine oil, that doesnt mean you should just neglect the critical fluid inside your transmission. Like all other common wear fluids around the car, there is a specific time where ideally you want to add fresh new fluid (and drop the pan so you can replace the filter as well)

By the time you notice that the transmission is sluggish or not shifting smoothly, you should have changed your fluid a damn long time ago.

My CX-5 shows a rough, clunking, jerking shift when I first drive it (engine cold). After it warms up it shifts OK. Do you think a trans fluid change would help? I have 25K miles.

Last edited:
Molestor, please stop molesting this forum with your unsubstantiated BS.

Dude... just shut up. I will agree that you shouldnt use Redline fluid if it was not recommended, but everything else i said was sound advice based on what Ive read from BMW forums (as their transmission has the exact same design where you must drop the pan to change the filter) so I know what Im talking about and probably more so then you.

BMW owners have complained of funky behaviour and WORSE shifting after a drain and fill because they didnt change the transmission filter which causes s*** and metal particles to float around your transmission and get stuck somewhere in one of the many small passages your transmission has.

I admit my idea with redline atf isnt sound, but hell if you think the rest of my Information is unsubstantiated then go do your thing!

What difference between drain-and-fill and dropping the pan? You still cant get about a half of the old ATF out. The only benefit is you can replace the filter cartridge but youre running the risk of leaks without pan gasket if youre not careful. Even Mazda Service Manual has ATF drain-and-fill procedure outlined there.

Youre welcome to mix half-and-half Redline ATF which may not be compatible with Mazda ATF FZ on your ATF change, but thiss definitely an ill advice to others!

I agree with you on the redline fluid, but please read my response to the first quote in this post as to why you should never do a drain and fill.

With a higher mileage transmission, you are simply asking for problems by not adding a new filter to help catch the metal particles and s*** floating around in your fluid.

You always change your engine oil filter while changing the oil, so why the hell would you not change the filter for your transmission fluid? I do not understand.

If you dont want to drop the pan and do it right the first time, LEAVE your transmission alone!

My CX-5 shows a rough, clunking, jerking shift when I first drive it (engine cold). After it warms up it shifts OK. Do you think a trans fluid change would help? I have 25K miles.

I would say that it sounds like a fluid issue (rough shifting until fluid warms up and thins out) but behaviour like that at only 25k miles is absolutely abnormal. Id get the transmission inspected, and at a trans specialty shop, not the dealer.

I would say that it sounds like a fluid issue (rough shifting until fluid warms up and thins out) but behaviour like that at only 25k miles is absolutely abnormal. Id get the transmission inspected, and at a trans specialty shop, not the dealer.

Specialty trans shops have ZERO experience with these transmissions.
They do not have the software to even connect to the transmission computer.

They also do not work with the warranty. This is terrible advice.

Specialty trans shops have ZERO experience with these transmissions.
They do not have the software to even connect to the transmission computer.

They also do not work with the warranty. This is terrible advice.

Alrighty then, so the guy go to the dealer so they can tell him that they couldnt replicate the issue and send him on his way with half a day wasted. The dealer is useless and uneducated about the own cars they sell, why would you ever want to take your car there for service and let some 18 year old monkeys working a summer job **** around with your car?

The transmission speciality shop I went to had absolutely no troubles working on my ZF 8 speed transmission which is far more complicated compared to Mazdas unit.

Alrighty then, so the guy go to the dealer so they can tell him that they couldn’t replicate the issue and send him on his way with half a day wasted. The dealer is useless and uneducated about the own cars they sell, why would you ever want to take your car there for service and let some 18 year old monkeys working a summer job **** around with your car?

The transmission speciality shop I went to had absolutely no troubles working on my ZF 8 speed transmission which is far more complicated compared to Mazdas unit.

A transmission shop will happily charge $100+ to not do anything of value.
If the transmission really is having problems the dealer is the only one who can replace or reprogram it under warranty.

Alrighty then, so the guy go to the dealer so they can tell him that they couldn’t replicate the issue and send him on his way with half a day wasted. The dealer is useless and uneducated about the own cars they sell, why would you ever want to take your car there for service and let some 18 year old monkeys working a summer job **** around with your car?

Honest ta' god, these are some of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on any forum I've ever been on! Isn't it about time for our illustrious moderator-in-chief to step in here?

Back