Front USB ports charge slow

Yeah Mazda had decided to reuse the same USB module used since 2013 CX-5 in 2nd-gen CX-5. They should upgrade the USB module in 2017 CX-5 with more charging power like everybody else.

Based on the product roadmap posted in another thread on here, that might not happen until the new Mazda Connect system comes out for 2019.

Based on the product roadmap posted in another thread on here, that might not happen until the new Mazda Connect system comes out for 2019.
Ive seen people posting the picture of our USB module. Its an independent unit and has nothing to do with infotainment system. It could be done easily with an upgraded version with more charging power. I believe thats what Xeler8ing was talking about earlier:

I have read elsewhere that some people have changed the front usb ports to ones with higher ampere and are now able to charge more quickly

I’ve seen people posting the picture of our USB module. It’s an independent unit and has nothing to do with infotainment system. It could be done easily with an upgraded version with more charging power. I believe that’s what Xeler8ing was talking about earlier:
I understand, but that would be a modification and would most certainly void your warranty. It would be great if Mazda themselves fixed the slow charging issue for us. If it is an independent unit, it shouldn't be a problem for them to fix this for the 2018 models.

They probably don’t need to wait a model year even. Ford makes small changes like that all the time in the middle of years. On the ST they even changed the front brakes mid year.

I understand, but that would be a modification and would most certainly void your warranty. It would be great if Mazda themselves fixed the slow charging issue for us. If it is an independent unit, it shouldn't be a problem for them to fix this for the 2018 models.
Contact them and see what they say

They probably don’t need to wait a model year even. Ford makes small changes like that all the time in the middle of years. On the ST they even changed the front brakes mid year.
That example is a little different. Brakes are a safety component on the car and should be fixed asap whenever an issue is detected. (I don't have context of why Ford changed the brakes though)

Contact them and see what they say
This is honestly not enough of a big deal for me to even bother contacting them LOL. I have a charger at home, a charger at the office and a charger in the car. So charging my phone isn't really an issue. If I need to really charge my phone in the CX-5, I plug it into the charger that is plugged into the power socket and use Bluetooth for streaming music. If I don't need to charge, I just plug it into the front USB port.

I’ve seen people posting the picture of our USB module. It’s an independent unit and has nothing to do with infotainment system. It could be done easily with an upgraded version with more charging power. I believe that’s what Xeler8ing was talking about earlier:

Most likely the data unit is spec'd to USB 2.0 from the infotainment hardware engineering specs as that was common when the design was frozen. USB 2.0 standard has only ~1-ish amp. Car manufacturers are sticklers for specs. I would expect this to change (probably to USB 3 or USB-C even) in a future hardware version.

That example is a little different. Brakes are a safety component on the car and should be fixed asap whenever an issue is detected. (I don't have context of why Ford changed the brakes though)

They moved to ceramic pads due to consumer complaints about brake dust. This necessitated a larger rotor, pad, and caliper to maintain the same performance as the previous pad material. Purely cosmetic not safety related.

They have put the 2.1a sockets in the back for a reason - to stop folk messing while they are on the move. Like Colorado, I just have a 2.1 adapter in the outlet in the front and on my 2017 and the 2016.5, the sockets all power down when off.

An alternative, would be to run a 3m extension from the rear centre armrest to the front. You can also buy the sockets for dash mounting off eBay.

Yea I’ll just use this
c55c7af00b7cc0ccc9933469bbb67366.jpg

If you try to draw too much power from the lighter in a Protege, the wiring behind the lighter will fry. It's tons o fun getting back there with a larger gauge wire to fix it. (screwy) Seriously, the stock wire is hair thin.

I'm not saying yours is too, but...yeah. Be careful I guess.

This is honestly not enough of a big deal for me to even bother contacting them LOL. I have a charger at home, a charger at the office and a charger in the car. So charging my phone isn't really an issue. If I need to really charge my phone in the CX-5, I plug it into the charger that is plugged into the power socket and use Bluetooth for streaming music. If I don't need to charge, I just plug it into the front USB port.

The more people speak up, the more they take notice and future models will get the correct ampere :D

They have put the 2.1a sockets in the back for a reason - to stop folk messing while they are on the move. Like Colorado, I just have a 2.1 adapter in the outlet in the front and on my 2017 and the 2016.5, the sockets all power down when off.

An alternative, would be to run a 3m extension from the rear centre armrest to the front. You can also buy the sockets for dash mounting off eBay.
Well you know Mazda always treats US customers differently and our front cigarette-lighter power port is kept on all the time since 2016 MY!

I can confirm that it's always on in the 2017 as well

Besides, many people would prefer to use a single USB cable for data and charging. BT sound quality sometimes sucks. The front cigarette-lighter power port and rear 2.1A USB ports in 2017 CX-5 are simply cant support data!

And while were getting 2.1A on rear rear charging USBs, others are getting 2.5A:

1484155583-2017-cr-v-touring-int-interior-rear-usb-ports-1400-2x.jpg

Well you know Mazda always treats US customers differently and our front cigarette-lighter power port is kept on all the time since 2016 MY!

Besides, many people would prefer to use a single USB cable for data and charging. BT sound quality sometimes sucks. The front cigarette-lighter power port and rear 2.1A USB ports in 2017 CX-5 are simply can’t support data!

And while we’re getting 2.1A on rear rear charging USBs, others are getting 2.5A:

1484155583-2017-cr-v-touring-int-interior-rear-usb-ports-1400-2x.jpg

Probably won't effect charging speeds by that much

Back