Clunk/Creaking noise on accel. after shift

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
P5 automatic. 2002.

I hear a noise like a loud "clunk/creaking" noise from the front end whenever I switch between R and D and then I accelerate. the noise doesn't happen during the shift it happens when I start driving. but only on the first acceleration. If I stay in either R or D and keep going it's fine even after I stop and go. I am able to avoid this noise if I am light on the throttle. It seemed worse this morning, probably because it was cold today.

I have NO idea what could be causing this (other than motor mounts maybe, or an internal transmission issue) so I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light! thanks!

Upon closer inspection i found that the front lower motor mount is indeed shot. I guess that would be causing the engine to tilt up/down when I accelerate, causing the noise. the one under the battery looks ok but I can see torn rubber. is this a particularly difficult job on this car? The only one that looks like it's a pain in the ass to change is the rear one but that one looks OK.

also what the hell is this thing on the outside of the lower mount? with that little bar that connects the two things together?
IMG_0010_zpsutkbfixa.jpg

The rear engine mount is a royal PITA to replace on our car but the other three are easy.... You might need a breaker bar to loosen them off though.

You can probably getaway with just doing the three mounts.

That thing is an anti-roll damper.

Screenshot_2017-10-03-04-32-04.png

Last edited:
Make sure you get the right #3 engine mount for an automatic.... Most aftermarket mounts don't include the "pin" and they are a different length between the 5 speed and automatic.

Screenshot_2017-10-03-04-39-51.png

Screenshot_2017-10-03-04-51-40.png

I went to a shop to get an estimate and they quoted me $1000 for all 4... said it's a two day job. I assume it's because of that pesky rear one. But still seemed steep. I was like hell no I'd rather wait until I have the time to do it myself... Although I'm probably only going to change the one that's really bad, the #2 one in the front. that doesn't look too hard to change.

You can get all four mounts for around $100 on EBay..

Skip the rear mount and do it yourself... It's easy... You might need a breaker bar.

(there was a guy on this forum who had no rear mount at all.. He broke a stud off in the transmission and just didn't install the rear one at all... He said it was fine.)

Back