CX5 2013 blown turbo's, Common?

Dynamic Locks

:
Mazda CX5
Hi all, first time poster long time stalker....My CX5 2013 Turbo diesel has just had blown turbo's replaced just before 100,000KM service and I was wondering if this is a common problem or just my usual unlucky with cars

Cheers Dazz

Hi all, first time poster long time stalker....My CX5 2013 Turbo diesel has just had blown turbo's replaced just before 100,000KM service and I was wondering if this is a common problem or just my usual unlucky with cars

Cheers Dazz
Have you found out the reason why your turbo was blown? Was it caused by wrong oil been used? Although the longevity of service life on turbo charger has been greatly improved, but I still believe itll always be the first major component to fail on engine due to the extremely high temperature involved. And itll be expensive to replace too! One of the reason why I chose our Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G is theres no turbo charger.

My son has an old Subaru with 180K. He has gone through 3 turbos. Turbos fail before the rest of the engine. It seems that the bearings fail.

1. Leaking turbo seals causing excessive oil consumption

2. Wastegate rattle

3. Turbo bearing failure

Funny is that a piston ring for a turbo is like $2, and easy to replace but people replace the whole turboh..

Funny is that a piston ring for a turbo is like $2, and easy to replace but people replace the whole turboh..

Correct,the seals are cheap,and the bearings are inexpensive and easy to replace as well. Just make sure it's put back together the same way and balanced,and you're good to go...

Can you fix wastegate rattle or do you need a new turbo?

Wait, so if you just always replace the bearing and seal on a turbo, in theory it will just keep operating fine correct?

Correct,the seals are cheap,and the bearings are inexpensive and easy to replace as well. Just make sure it's put back together the same way and balanced,and you're good to go...
Thats what I heard the most difficult part is to balance the turbine which is spinning at 300,000 rpm. Many re-manufactured turbo charger wont last long because it never gets proper balanced.

Back