Q about 2017 CX-5 suspension tuning

frogger

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
I am new to the forum as I just became a first time Mazda owner yesterday. I purchased a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the premium package in eternal blue mica with black leather interior. I love it and am excited about owning it for many years to come. However, my wife was not available to go with me on the test drive so today was the first time she got to ride in it. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time since this was for my daily driver, so she really didn't care what I bought as long as I stuck to our budget and it made me happy. However, she is EXTREMELY sensitive to motion sickness. Within 5 minutes of riding in the CX-5 today, she said it felt "floaty" and she was starting to not feel well. Within a few more minutes, she had a fairly bad headache. We've owned other SUVs in the past, and many with less sporty suspensions than the CX-5. However, for the last 3 years, both our daily drivers have been cars (2 door, sporty cars) with fairly tight suspensions. I'm not sure if what happened today is a symptom of her just needing a little time to adjust to riding a bit higher, or she was just having a bad day, or if this is going to be an on-going issue. However, just in case this issue does continue, I wanted to ask for some suggestions so I could be prepared with a solution. Are there any easy adjustments that can be made to tighten up the suspension on the new CX-5? I don't want to go too tight because this will be our primary road trip car, plus I have a fairly long commute to work so I want to keep as much comfort as possible. I just need to get rid of a bit of the "floaty feeling" or body roll so that my wife can ride in it with me without having to be medicated. Any suggestions?

Maybe try adding 1-2 psi to the tires to see if that helps. I normally keep the psi at 36 on this car but yesterday after my oil change I guess the dealer let some air out and it's at 34 psi and car felt a bit more floaty. The ride is smoother now but I might put some more air in there.

She should be driving the CX5.
I have the same issue(sickness) and I drive my wife's CRV, when we go out together.

I think the higher-up CX-5 must've not been a good choice then.

really the only option you can do if she cant deal with the ride is get adjustable coilovers. it's not going to affect the ride if you get a competent shop to adjust the coilovers correctly.

I don't get that from my 2016.5 or 2015 GT.

There is nothing easy, no "adjustments" in the conventional sense.

You need to isolate the motion that is causing the trouble. If side to side rocking, you might try stiffer stabilizer bars, but those are just springs and thus will limit the distance of the rocking only.

Koni sells 2 shock/strut systems for the car. One with speed sensitive damping intended to be less harsh and the normal yellow sport version. IF there is a solution that reduces float and rocking, it will be shocks/struts.

Koni sells 2 shock/strut systems for the car. One with speed sensitive damping intended to be less harsh and the normal yellow sport version. IF there is a solution that reduces float and rocking, it will be shocks/struts.

Koni does not list any shocks for the 2017 CX-5.

Quick update. Last night, my wife got another chance to ride in the new CX-5. This time, she didn't seem to have the issue. Fingers crossed she was just having a bad day and this becomes a non-issue.

At any rate, try turning off the Traction Control as it sometimes create a feeling of dizziness to some people specially when turning.

I am new to the forum as I just became a first time Mazda owner yesterday. I purchased a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the premium package in eternal blue mica with black leather interior. I love it and am excited about owning it for many years to come. However, my wife was not available to go with me on the test drive so today was the first time she got to ride in it. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time since this was for my daily driver, so she really didn't care what I bought as long as I stuck to our budget and it made me happy. However, she is EXTREMELY sensitive to motion sickness. Within 5 minutes of riding in the CX-5 today, she said it felt "floaty" and she was starting to not feel well. Within a few more minutes, she had a fairly bad headache. We've owned other SUVs in the past, and many with less sporty suspensions than the CX-5. However, for the last 3 years, both our daily drivers have been cars (2 door, sporty cars) with fairly tight suspensions. I'm not sure if what happened today is a symptom of her just needing a little time to adjust to riding a bit higher, or she was just having a bad day, or if this is going to be an on-going issue. However, just in case this issue does continue, I wanted to ask for some suggestions so I could be prepared with a solution. Are there any easy adjustments that can be made to tighten up the suspension on the new CX-5? I don't want to go too tight because this will be our primary road trip car, plus I have a fairly long commute to work so I want to keep as much comfort as possible. I just need to get rid of a bit of the "floaty feeling" or body roll so that my wife can ride in it with me without having to be medicated. Any suggestions?

Have wife try Sea Bands. They really work to prevent motion sickness.

Back