Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

I doubt Mazda will put anything over 4 cylinder considering their largest vehicle(CX-9) uses a 4 cylinder. Keeping emissions low is far more important to them then more power IMO.
It's not emissions as much as meeting federal mpg standards.

Inline 6’s get excellent proven fuel economy when tuned right. My 2011 528i has a 3L Inline 6 engine paired to an 8 speed auto and I get a consistent 30MPG driving on the highway. This is a 3900 pound car and the worst fuel economy I can manage driving like a complete fool in the city is 21MPG. Inline 6 engines make a lot of linear torque from a very low rpm meaning you’ll find yourself rarely ever revving the car past 3000RPM because you just don’t have to.

Yes a 3.7 probably won’t give the average consumer the sort of fuel economy they are looking for, but a 3L will without a doubt while providing better refinement and a smoother sound over any 4 cylinder you can think of. Plus for the amount of power a 3.7 will put out, you’ll be getting great fuel economy.

That is the key - if they are tuned right. But since naturally aspirated 6 cylinder cars are becoming scare, I highly doubt Mazda would go down that path. Also they are concentration on 4 cylinders which as you know in the future will be HCCI coupled with supercharging.

Also remember their previous Ford based 3.7 V6. That had hopeless fuel economy.

It's not emissions as much as meeting federal mpg standards.

... and appealing to the general consumer just so they can stay alive.

Also remember their previous Ford based 3.7 V6. That had hopeless fuel economy

Ford would never pay to buy 33% of Mazda AND THEN start to hand Mazda engine designs on a silver platter.

Dude. Thats not how a business partnership works. at all.

... and appealing to the general consumer just so they can stay alive.

Ford would never pay to buy 33% of Mazda AND THEN start to hand Mazda engine designs on a silver platter.

Dude. That’s not how a business partnership works. at all.

(uhm) I wasn't talking about Ford/Mazda partnership

All I said was that Ford based motor was hopeless in terms of fuel economy. Nothing to do with Ford/Mazda - my comment is about the motor itself.

That motor was also in Ford's vehicles and gave same poor fuel economy

So I doubt a V6 or even an inline 6 would be used by Mazda today given the fuel economy path they are going to with small/large capacity 4 cylinder engines

Last edited:
I have spent time in both and would argue that the CX-9 is substantially better than the Lexus (at the low end of the lexus price point). The interior is very similar in quality and the ride is dramatically better. The Lexus drives like a boat. Sure, it has a nice engine but that is about it. Mazda does need to get a meatier sounding exhaust for that car.

The RX 350 with the luxury package and premium sound & nav is quite a bit nicer on the inside than the CX-9. But it should be since it costs 10 grand more.
It's also considerably smaller than the CX-9, closer to the CX-5.
And it still handles like a Toyota.

The RX 350 with the luxury package and premium sound & nav is quite a bit nicer on the inside than the CX-9. But it should be since it costs 10 grand more.
It's also considerably smaller than the CX-9, closer to the CX-5.
And it still handles like a Toyota.

Plus it just looks weird

I doubt Mazda will put anything over 4 cylinder considering their largest vehicle(CX-9) uses a 4 cylinder. Keeping emissions low is far more important to them then more power IMO.

For the most part. Look at Honda. They ditched their v6 in the Accord. A lot of JDM V6's have been in the low 300hp range anyways. A lighter more fuel efficient turbo or supercharged 4 banger is lighter and more fuel efficient. Nobody makes 4-bangers like Honda....now that Mitshu quit making Evos that is. Mazda can't compete in the actual engine level that honda is on. Mazda however makes up with good transmission designs and suspension engineering.

That said a smaller inline-6 cylinder 2.5 liter is a really efficient design. More efficient than a V6 or 4 cylinder...Now if HCCI and skyactic suites are applied it would be a very interesting combination.

Those with VW inline-5 engines...yeah those things had a rumble to them but very inefficient.

For the most part. Look at Honda. They ditched their v6 in the Accord. A lot of JDM V6's have been in the low 300hp range anyways. A lighter more fuel efficient turbo or supercharged 4 banger is lighter and more fuel efficient. Nobody makes 4-bangers like Honda....now that Mitshu quit making Evos that is. Mazda can't compete in the actual engine level that honda is on. Mazda however makes up with good transmission designs and suspension engineering.

That said a smaller inline-6 cylinder 2.5 liter is a really efficient design. More efficient than a V6 or 4 cylinder...Now if HCCI and skyactic suites are applied it would be a very interesting combination.

Those with VW inline-5 engines...yeah those things had a rumble to them but very inefficient.

Mazda did have small displacement 6 cylinders in the past. From the reviews here, lukewarm at best if I am not mistaken

Its all about the government regulated cafe standards, that's why Mazda won't be using a 6 cylinder anytime soon.

I like the profile of the RX. Not the front though.

It looks pretty good to me from any angle. :)

mazda_rx7_spirit_r.jpg

Last edited:
Plus it just looks weird

I like the profile of the RX. Not the front though.

Gah! The front overhang is hideous! Side profile might be worse than the frontal gaping maw.

Oh lord, agreed.

the best balance between performance and efficiency is .5 displacement per cylinder (2L 4 cyl, 3L 6)

2.5 4 cylinder > 2.5 6 cyl due to better torque delivery

Mazda did have small displacement 6 cylinders in the past. From the reviews here, lukewarm at best if I am not mistaken

the Mazda K engine was an excellent design for it's time and a great engine. the 3L Mazda AJ engine (which was based off this small displacement K motor) was the stepping stone for fords duratec 30 motor and is even used as Aston Martin's v12 motor.

It looks pretty good to me from any angle. :)

mazda_rx7_spirit_r.jpg

they are talking about the Lexus RX350. the Mazda RX-7 is a beautiful car!

Are there similar standards elsewhere in the world (uhm)

No.

In that case I don't think CAFE regulations would be a reason for Mazda not having a 6 cylinder.

I know I know, and I agree. IMO the best looking Japanese car ever built. :)
There's only ONE RX on the Mazda club though, and it ain't some watered down SUV that can't go offroad. lol

In that case I don't think CAFE regulations would be a reason for Mazda not having a 6 cylinder.

no 6 cylinders until Mazda can break into the luxo market.

once they do, I hope they can build some RWD inline 6 powered sport sedans because I know Mazda can build something brilliant with the correct resources.

no 6 cylinders until Mazda can break into the luxo market.

once they do, I hope they can build some RWD inline 6 powered sport sedans because I know Mazda can build something brilliant with the correct resources.

That is different to their SkyActiv X philosophy so IMHO doubtful

Back