Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

Mazda had tried to be in luxury market before. Back to 1992 Mazda had planned to release a luxury brand Amati to compete with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus in North America. The initial planned Amati line-ups include Amati 300、Amati 500、and a luxury sports coupe based on the Mazda Cosmo. Unfortunately the Amati brand was eventually scrapped before any vehicle were sold. And Amati 500 became Mazda Millenia sold in the US.

Amati.jpg

Recently when I compared friend’s new 2017 Lexus RX 350 and Mazda’s most luxurious CX-9 Signature, I can only say there’re so many things need to catch up by Mazda to be a luxury brand!

They released Eunos here as a sort of luxury brand but that failed.

You think you know everything, that's your problem. :D

Top ten reasons people buy the cars they do:
#1 Reliability (you had one right)
#2 Exterior Styling (#2! And sorry, but Mazda > Honda here soundly)
#3 Previous Experience
#4 Review / Brand Reputation
(still looking for "practical")
#5 Ride and Handling. (Wait! What? #5!)
#6 Price
#7 TIE Safety & Fuel Economy
#9 Quality of workmanship
#10 AWD
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/bu...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707

Fun to drive over Fuel Economy? Shut up...

I don't understand your inability to comprehend why Mazda appeals to some people... or why it bothers you so much?
Why is #8 a secret? I can only count to potato but can see you skipped it...............

You think you know everything, that's your problem. :D

Top ten reasons people buy the cars they do:
#1 Reliability (you had one right)
#2 Exterior Styling (#2! And sorry, but Mazda > Honda here soundly)
#3 Previous Experience
#4 Review / Brand Reputation
(still looking for "practical")
#5 Ride and Handling. (Wait! What? #5!)
#6 Price
#7 & #8 TIE Safety & Fuel Economy
#9 Quality of workmanship
#10 AWD
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/bu...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707

Fun to drive over Fuel Economy? Shut up...

I don't understand your inability to comprehend why Mazda appeals to some people... or why it bothers you so much?
So based on your theory, most compact CUV shoppers think CX-5 is unreliable and ugly and thats why 19 out of 20 compact CUV buyers bought something else other than a CX-5? (uhm)

Not my theory. And only you would read it that way. [emoji39]

So based on your theory, most compact CUV shoppers think CX-5 is unreliable and ugly and that’s why 19 out of 20 compact CUV buyers bought something else other than a CX-5? (uhm)

(cryhard) Going by his theory, the Rogue and Escape are more reliable and better looking than the CX-5.

So based on your theory, most compact CUV shoppers think CX-5 is unreliable and ugly and that’s why 19 out of 20 compact CUV buyers bought something else other than a CX-5? (uhm)

No one said the general populace wasn't wrong and stupid in their thinking for what is what. ;)

Last edited:
Mazda had tried to be in luxury market before. Back to 1992 Mazda had planned to release a luxury brand Amati to compete with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus in North America. The initial planned Amati line-ups include Amati 300、Amati 500、and a luxury sports coupe based on the Mazda Cosmo. Unfortunately the Amati brand was eventually scrapped before any vehicle were sold. And Amati 500 became Mazda Millenia sold in the US.

Amati.jpg

Recently when I compared friend’s new 2017 Lexus RX 350 and Mazda’s most luxurious CX-9 Signature, I can only say there’re so many things need to catch up by Mazda to be a luxury brand!

I have spent time in both and would argue that the CX-9 is substantially better than the Lexus (at the low end of the lexus price point). The interior is very similar in quality and the ride is dramatically better. The Lexus drives like a boat. Sure, it has a nice engine but that is about it. Mazda does need to get a meatier sounding exhaust for that car.

Last edited:
3.7? I wish they would build a 5.0 LOL.

2.5l turbo gas/petrol available throughout the lineup should be good enough.

It looks like they are building a supercharged skyactiv-X 2.5 version in favour of the turbo. Turbocharged engines run rich at high RPM to protect the motor from the stress of the turbo ,so sinc3 this new engine is supercharged mazda mentioned that the fuel/air mixture will be optimal throughout the whole rev range which seems to me that Mazda is focusing on building a motor even for enthusiasts who like high RPM. if the torque increase of the 2L HCCI motor carries over to the 2.5 expect about 250hp and a healthy 310 ft/lb of torque.

In a day and age where everyone is switching to 6 cylinders for their performance cars, I think an inline 6 would be best for mazdas overall intentions as they pave their way into the luxury market. I mentioned specifically 3.7 because their 2.5L 4 cylinder version with 2 extra cylinders slapped on would equal 3.7L total in displacement.

Then hopefully they would do something similar to what BMW did with their 3L Inline 6, an engine that makes max torque at barely 2500RPM yet winds out steady and linear to 7000RPM without breaking a sweat. I doubt mazdas version would rev that high if it is indeed 3.7, but just imagine the sound and torque! One benefit of the inline 6 is that Mazda would probably have the space to fit a 4-2-1 exhaust header (unlike with a v6) which gives that particular engine configuration an advantage. Since Inline 6 engines are ideally for FR RWD configurations, it makes sense if Mazda is moving to FR in the future.

I'm surprised so many people think (want?) Mazda is headed to a luxury brand? I don't think so. Nor would I want that. I think they're intent on showing the world we can make a premium car for not premium prices.

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many people think (want?) MaDs is headed to a luxury brand? I don't think so. Nor would I want that. I think they're intent on showing the world we can make a premium car for not premium prices.

The only reason why I want Mazda to take a stab at the luxury game is because their brand image is seriously lacking and the luxury business is the best way for them to break away from their economy roots and have people really pay attention to the brand for their efforts.

I doubt Mazda will put anything over 4 cylinder considering their largest vehicle(CX-9) uses a 4 cylinder. Keeping emissions low is far more important to them then more power IMO.

Not me. Poor fuel economy.

Inline 6s get excellent proven fuel economy when tuned right. My 2011 528i has a 3L Inline 6 engine paired to an 8 speed auto and I get a consistent 30MPG driving on the highway. This is a 3900 pound car and the worst fuel economy I can manage driving like a complete fool in the city is 21MPG. Inline 6 engines make a lot of linear torque from a very low rpm meaning youll find yourself rarely ever revving the car past 3000RPM because you just dont have to.

Yes a 3.7 probably wont give the average consumer the sort of fuel economy they are looking for, but a 3L will without a doubt while providing better refinement and a smoother sound over any 4 cylinder you can think of. Plus for the amount of power a 3.7 will put out, youll be getting great fuel economy.

I doubt Mazda will put anything over 4 cylinder considering their largest vehicle(CX-9) uses a 4 cylinder. Keeping emissions low is far more important to them then more power IMO.

Mazda specifically makes 4 cylinders because they try to revolve their products over what is going to sell best to the average consumer (a 4 cylinder)

Why the hell would Mazda continue to use an innefficient v6 that makes all of its power at 5000+ RPM? What sort of average consumer needs a powerband like that?

Until Mazda gets their sales up by targeting mainstream buyers (which is precisely what they are doing as we speak) were not going to see a luxury Mazda or a powerful engine. Im shocked you still dont understand what Mazda is doing or why and quite frankly you should leave this forum. At the very least please dont comment this s*** on my thread.

Back