Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

What car did your mom have ColoradoDriver?

I'm not sure as I was maybe 5-6ish. So this would have been around 1996ish.

She got it used from my uncle. Guessing it wasn't taken care of in it's previous history. She had nothing but problems with it and that's what I had remembered of Mazda from when I was a kid.

Edit: And being used, I have no idea how old/new the car was. So unfortunately, beats me.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people were like me when it comes to Mazda: I didn't know s*** about them. [emoji16]

My (step) mom had a Mazda in the 90's too. Hers was a turbo charged RX-7 that smoked most Porsches and BMWs and made me love Mazdas.
Not all '90's Mazda were lame. Are they getting better or worse? Here's some food for thought.

The 323 GTX was an EVO or STi before Mits and Subie figured it out.
The Miata changed everything. Before it came along, small convertible cars were unreliable, leaky and expensive to work on. As a rule.
A rotary powered car, made by Mazda, won the 24 hour of LeMans outright.

Later, the Mazdaspeed Protege became the quickest FWD drive car ever tested through the cones by Sport Compact Car magazine (which was a pretty big Magazine back then). It beat the Acura Integra TypeR, but the Mazda had 4 doors, power everything, A/C...Hell it even had a stock subwoofer in the trunk.

Due to their current size, financials and market forces (more competitors), it is alot harder for Mazda to say build Mazdaspeeds, go down the electrified route etc than it used to be when they built turbo RX-8s, Eunos V6's etc. They target/concentrate specific areas such as SUV's and compact cars etc.

That is why they are teaming up with Toyota, Isuzu, Denso. They are just not that big enough independent car maker to compete and do what they want to/used to do. This will assist in their future decisions.

Last edited:
My (step) mom had a Mazda in the 90's too. Hers was a turbo charged RX-7 that smoked most Porsches and BMWs and made me love Mazdas.
Not all '90's Mazda were lame. Are they getting better or worse? Here's some food for thought.

The 323 GTX was an EVO or STi before Mits and Subie figured it out.
The Miata changed everything. Before it came along, small convertible cars were unreliable, leaky and expensive to work on. As a rule.
A rotary powered car, made by Mazda, won the 24 hour of LeMans outright.

Later, the Mazdaspeed Protege became the quickest FWD drive car ever tested through the cones by Sport Compact Car magazine (which was a pretty big Magazine back then). It beat the Acura Integra TypeR, but the Mazda had 4 doors, power everything, A/C...Hell it even had a stock subwoofer in the trunk.

Just saying whatever used Mazda my mom had was constantly in need of repairs. That was my earliest memory of Mazda. Again, I was 5 or 6 or somewhere around that age, so that's just my earliest perception.

That's all.

As a result I hadn't even considered Mazda because in my mind it was that car that always broke down my Mom had when I was a kid. But then the lackluster CUV offerings in 2013 had me looking at a CX-5 and I was sold. Now I can't imagine having anything else (for my needs). Would love to see some more performance oriented models come back though.

Last edited:
I don't understand your inability to comprehend why Mazda appeals to some people... or why it bothers you so much?

What does me stating their luxury/premium attempt will be a failed one have anything to do with why Mazda appeals to some people? I'm simply responding to the thread topic, and here you go complaining about why I can't understand why people would want to buy a Mazda...yes I understand the reasons why people would want to buy a Mazda, but that has nothing to do with the thread topic which is asking where the future direction of the company is going...stop trying to derail these threads and start arguments.

Due to their current size, financials and market forces (more competitors), it is alot harder for Mazda to say build Mazdaspeeds, go down the electrified route etc than it used to be when they built turbo RX-8s, Eunos V6's etc. They target/concentrate specific areas such as SUV's and compact cars etc.

That is why they are teaming up with Toyota, Isuzu, Denso. They are just not that big enough independent car maker to compete and do what they want to/used to do. This will assist in their future decisions.

Right. I'm not exactly sure how they can survive being a tiny company and all. The cost that goes into R&D for hybrid/electric/autonomous technology is skyrocketing. IMO it's just a matter of time before they get swallowed up by Toyota. An exception can be made for Subaru, as they are even smaller but produce good looking, reliable and fun vehicles. Not to mention their customer loyalty/retention is either #1 or #2 in the entire country, which is INSANE for a company that competes with the Honda/Toyota/Fords of the world.

I was merely replying to your "why buy a Mazda" comment. And about how you know why people buy cars. Just saying, man. Looks are pretty high up and Mazdas got that in spades imo.

What does me stating their luxury/premium attempt will be a failed one have anything to do with why Mazda appeals to some people? I'm simply responding to the thread topic, and here you go complaining about why I can't understand why people would want to buy a Mazda...yes I understand the reasons why people would want to buy a Mazda, but that has nothing to do with the thread topic which is asking where the future direction of the company is going...stop trying to derail these threads and start arguments.

Mango, I see no reason why you have to be so negative about mazdas future. Based on the advancements they have made with the brand so far in terms of interior materials and overall quality, and the continually increasing sales of the CX-5 etc. I see no reason why mazda wont be entering the luxury market soon. Its only a matter of time.

As much as you hate Mazda (yet for some reason drive one) mazdas efforts and advancements in the car industry are undeniable, such as with the rumour of the next RWD Mazda 6 which looks like its ready to compete with the big names.

Mango, I see no reason why you have to be so negative about mazdas future. Based on the advancements they have made with the brand so far in terms of interior materials and overall quality, and the continually increasing sales of the CX-5 etc. I see no reason why mazda wont be entering the luxury market soon. Its only a matter of time.
Mazda had tried to be in luxury market before. Back to 1992 Mazda had planned to release a luxury brand Amati to compete with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus in North America. The initial planned Amati line-ups include Amati 300、Amati 500、and a luxury sports coupe based on the Mazda Cosmo. Unfortunately the Amati brand was eventually scrapped before any vehicle were sold. And Amati 500 became Mazda Millenia sold in the US.

Amati.jpg

Recently when I compared friends new 2017 Lexus RX 350 and Mazdas most luxurious CX-9 Signature, I can only say therere so many things need to catch up by Mazda to be a luxury brand!

For years Mazda has been adamant about keeping the RWD platform dedicated for only the Miata, with no inclination to expand its use in their line-up (although one would assume it could be scalable).

I've read rumors about a 6 coupe and a twin-turbo V6 6. I am not holding my breath. The new engine will be released in the new 3, and then it will most likely make its way into the redesigned 6, continuing as a FWD model.

They'll continue to move their cars upstream, and move onto the next phases of Skyactiv. The latter includes the move to a torsion beam set-up on the new 3.

Optics for Mazda are good:
1. Strong tech exchange with Toyota which is reliability leader in world right now.
2. Drivetrain that is so far ahead of gimmicky CVTs and Turbos for fooling EPA.
3. Skyactiv X - and its potential as range extender in EVs.

Here is what I would like or hope to see over next 3 years:
1. A newer 7-8 speed Tx.
2. Skyactiv X being released and realizing 20-30% jump in FE.
3. A halo car besides the Miata - possibly in Mazda 6 category and under 50K.
4. EV / Hybrid option as it will have takers.
5. Keeping up the good work so far in terms of feel and design.

You know your car is awesome when Toyota is bringing some of its tech in their Next gen. performance hybrids. GJ Mazda - I dont think me or my wife would disagree if my next car shopping begins and hopefully ends at Freeman (Btw I hate TX 183-its not a highway - cement pooping dinosaurs left a fossil trail and Texas called it TX 183)

Mazda had tried to be in luxury market before. Back to 1992 Mazda had planned to release a luxury brand Amati to compete with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus in North America. The initial planned Amati line-ups include Amati 300、Amati 500、and a luxury sports coupe based on the Mazda Cosmo. Unfortunately the Amati brand was eventually scrapped before any vehicle were sold. And Amati 500 became Mazda Millenia sold in the US.

Amati.jpg

Recently when I compared friend’s new 2017 Lexus RX 350 and Mazda’s most luxurious CX-9 Signature, I can only say there’re so many things need to catch up by Mazda to be a luxury brand!

the Amati brand was axed because they did not have the money to make it happen. looks like they seem to be doing better now.

Lexus has had a major jump start into the luxo brand since the 90's. mazda sure does have a lot of catching up to do!

As much as you hate Mazda (yet for some reason drive one) mazdas efforts and advancements in the car industry are undeniable, such as with the rumour of the next RWD Mazda 6 which looks like its ready to compete with the big names.
Do you have any links to this RWD Mazda6 rumor?

(Btw I hate TX 183-its not a highway - cement pooping dinosaurs left a fossil trail and Texas called it TX 183)
(lol) - I try to avoid driving on TX 183 as much as I can.

Do you have any links to this RWD Mazda6?

Yes. Everyone is doubting it but this partnership with Toyota makes really good sense and I really do think that for the gen 2 chassis they will be able to come up with a nice FR platform. I remember seeing the concept version of the current Mazda 6 a few years back and the actual version ended up having the same lines and overall shape, so Im keeping my fingers crossed on this concept because it looks truly amazing.

Just google RWD mazda6: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/rumor-2020-mazda6-going-rwd-share-toyota-sourced-platform-with-rx-9-sports-car-120548.html

If it will be in fact Toyotas chassis, Im pretty sure its sourced from BMW because the two have already been partnered up for the next generation BMW Z4, and next Supra, and now we have Mazda who I suppose will be taking this BMW/Toyota chassis and tuning it themselves, and it will end well.

Do you remember the first generation Mazda 6 from like 07? Well Ford wisely decided to stay close to Mazdas specification for the engine designs, but they did a complete ****-up when tuning Mazdas CD3 chassis resulted in horrifically underdamped suspension and nothing like mazdas sharp, finely damped suspension movements.

I think Mazda does not really care about the fact the Mazda 6s sales are awful because the Ford Fusion (which is selling quite well) is based on the CD4 which is a Mazda design chassis. How else would ford be able to make a decent handling sedan otherwise?

Regardless, Mazda has been producing beautiful interiors with very good materials as of late as they continue to strengthen their sales and I know that they will only continue to improve by this point as Toyota now also takes notice to their excellent engine design. Everyone can keep doubting like that retard Mangochilli while driving around in his ghetto sh*tbox 05 Mazda saying Mazda isnt going to come up.

Hell yea they will.

Last edited:
"I think"
"I'm pretty sure"
"I suppose"

..Then starts calling people names on the internet because they don't agree about cars. Once second Mazda the 2nd coming of the Maybach and the next they're a "ghetto sh*tbox"
Lowfive.jpg

I think Mazda does not really care about the fact the Mazda 6’s sales are awful because the Ford Fusion (which is selling quite well) is based on the CD4 which is a Mazda design chassis. How else would ford be able to make a decent handling sedan otherwise?

Ever heard of the Ford Cosworth? 10 WRC victories, the 1st mass production car to produce front and rear downforce, decent handling. :)

Last edited:
I hope companies start making more FR layout cars again. The handling dynamics of a RWD are so much better than FWD imo.

Mango, I see no reason why you have to be so negative about mazdas future. Based on the advancements they have made with the brand so far in terms of interior materials and overall quality, and the continually increasing sales of the CX-5 etc. I see no reason why mazda won’t be entering the luxury market soon. It’s only a matter of time.

As much as you hate Mazda (yet for some reason drive one) mazdas efforts and advancements in the car industry are undeniable, such as with the rumour of the next RWD Mazda 6 which looks like it’s ready to compete with the big names.

The CX-5 has a nice interior, but that doesn't make it a 'premium' or 'luxury' vehicle IMO. It's gained weight, gotten slower, made the suspension less sporty and gets worse fuel economy then the last CX-5. Half the people here don't even like the exterior of the new CX-5. The sales of the CX-5 have increased but so has every other CUV from every other company. The increase in sales doesn't really have to do with the CX-5 being better than the last one but more so with people buying less cars and more crossovers.

They're moving from one niche(sporty and fun) to another(luxury). If they want to compete with the BMW and Audi's of the world, they'll need more powerful engines, better transmissions and more features like cooled seats, CarPlay, etc...which I don't see them developing because they don't have the money for it. So instead, they focus on things that are less costly things like nice interiors, and quieting the vehicles and call it luxury or premium.

It's too bad Subaru has the AWD niche locked down, that might have been a good niche for Mazda.

Back