Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

No it's not because it's what I'm used to. Thanks for trying to tell me why I like/dislike something. (scratch)

I'm not about premium. I've been very vocal about my dislike of the stylistic direction Mazda has taken as an attempt to move up market.

Regarding the CX-5 at least, needs a nose job and some swoop! Where's my swoop!? Also not a fan of chicken wire grill. Much prefer mine. Not premium by any stretch of the imagination, but was a good simple look that fit.

Totally agree...

Yep,it's about official,my current CX-5 will be my first and only Mazda. Hopefully this one continues to treat us well...

Don't you think Mazda's resistance in embracing new technologies like CVT will come back to bite them at some point? We know that theoretically CVT is much smoother and more fuel efficient than other types of transmission. The current CVTs are far from perfect but the companies who are trying them are gaining knowledge and experience in developing them and hooking them up with their engines. They will perfect the art in a few generations while Mazda has 0 experience doing so and will have to play catch up for years. The same goes for hybrids and EVs.

No. If you look it up, all of Mazdas competitors with a cvt arent getting better fuel economy and the cars are slower and make less torque at the same time... CVTs May be slightly better on the highway by 1mpg, but 1mpg worse around town and sluggish off the line.

Mazda has proved that a well calibrated 6 speed auto can be efficient all while being fun and responsive, plus CVT transmissions are not reliable, no thanks. Keep in mind that were talking about a 6 speed here rather then something like an 8 speed from BMW which is even better performing and even more fuel efficient.

^Also agree on cvt reliability..mom's bf who i recommended Mazda to (which is pretty much everybody) stuck with Nissan and 3 years, and 70k miles later his Altimas CVT went boom 2 weeks ago and with very little warning. Quote was $4500 but thanks to his loyalty, my moms and no doubt some luck Poughkeepsie Nissan stepped up and took care of the whole thing. I told him to confirm how long replacement is covered and get out before then.

Just make them corner better like they used to and Mazda will be back. We have enough basketball-shoe shaped cars that can't go offroad to choose from.

I want a turbocharger, an LSD, some big ol' swaybars and an engine that screams to 9k rpms. Also, make it pull a G around the cones and add some lightness instead of bells and whistles like some kinda Hyundai. Do that and I'll buy another Mazda. Until then, there are better SUVs and family sedans out there to choose from.

Mazda used to own a niche.

On one hand I think that is stupid. Nobody in America is going to buy a 30K+ Mazda 3, no matter what engine is in there. Americans are fat and can't fit in those cars. That is the big problem now.

On the other hands, I think if they can make it into a premium "performance" product a Focus RS, it could be something. But I don't see them doing that.
Over here the current 3 starts in the low 20K and finishes in the mid 30K. It sells quite well

Just make them corner better like they used to and Mazda will be back. We have enough basketball-shoe shaped cars that can't go offroad to choose from.

I want a turbocharger, an LSD, some big ol' swaybars and an engine that screams to 9k rpms. Also, make it pull a G around the cones and add some lightness instead of bells and whistles like some kinda Hyundai. Do that and I'll buy another Mazda. Until then, there are better SUVs and family sedans out there to choose from.

Mazda used to own a niche.

Now we're talking...Nailed it!

Don't you think Mazda's resistance in embracing new technologies like CVT will come back to bite them at some point? We know that theoretically CVT is much smoother and more fuel efficient than other types of transmission. The current CVTs are far from perfect but the companies who are trying them are gaining knowledge and experience in developing them and hooking them up with their engines. They will perfect the art in a few generations while Mazda has 0 experience doing so and will have to play catch up for years. The same goes for hybrids and EVs.

Nope.

CVT's are fussy, finicky, unreliable things with dubious benefits that kill pretty much any driving engagement. They're band-aids lesser companies are using to meet EPA fuel mileage requirements.

Mazda's next generation 'X' engines are also far less RPM reliant on efficiency, making them a poor fit with CVT's and an excellent fit with traditional automatic and manual transmissions.

From there, like all automakers, they will be moving progressively towards electric drivetrains that overwhelmingly use single speed transmissions.

So no, I don't remotely see it as an issue.

Yeah, CVTs drive like absolute garbage, it's what put me off both the RAV4 and the CR-V when I was shopping around. Almost got into a 6 speed stick Tacoma TRD tho, but so dam expensive, hahaha.

Yeah, CVTs drive like absolute garbage, it's what put me off both the RAV4 and the CR-V when I was shopping around. Almost got into a 6 speed stick Tacoma TRD tho, but so dam expensive, hahaha.

RAV4 uses a 6 speed, just like in your CX-5(drive)

Tacoma may have a 6 speed, but it still drives like a turd.

(smash)

True.. but I wouldnt say just like..it shifts like I poop and manual shift motion is backwards..but its basically irrelevant because of my first point(burnout)

Tacoma may have a 6 speed, but it still drives like a turd.

(smash)

A plus in a pick up imo. It's a damn truck,but it does have a Cadillac price tag. No thanks...

I wouldn't trade my old Tundra for anything else though,or an 85 Yota with the SR22. Best trucks ever made...

My buddy just dumped his 2015 Tacoma after 1.5 years of a 3 year lease. He hated it that much. (ironically, despite breaking the lease early, he still didn't lose any money due to their ridiculous resale value).

Older Toyotas were the tops tho.... late 80s, early 90s.

Intercooler maybe... although I don't see it anywhere. Maybe its tiny? The engine displacement is relatively small

When you access the web page, scroll up to the engine pic at the very top.

Nope.

CVT's are fussy, finicky, unreliable things with dubious benefits that kill pretty much any driving engagement. They're band-aids lesser companies are using to meet EPA fuel mileage requirements.

All I know is that higher trimmed cars don't use CVTs much. They mainly use Dual clutches, DSGs, 8-10 speed autos, ect. Vast majority of Acura's, Lexi, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, ect. don't use CVTs. We all know that Lux features eventually trickle down to lower trims. Perhaps CVTs will be outdated with more engaging yet efficient transmissions.

All I know is that higher trimmed cars don't use CVTs much. They mainly use Dual clutches, DSGs, 8-10 speed autos, ect. Vast majority of Acura's, Lexi, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, ect. don't use CVTs. We all know that Lux features eventually trickle down to lower trims. Perhaps CVTs will be outdated with more engaging yet efficient transmissions.

Exactly what I said earlier :)

That's mostly because CVT's can't handle lots of horsepower and torque, and the fact that people that buy premium vehicles don't care that much about the fuel efficiency that a CVT can provide.

Also, CVTs drive like a turd on 3 wheels, and that's not what premium and luxury car brands are about.

Back