Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

GJ-Molestor

Banned
:
2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual
how about we start a thread to speak on speculation as to what will happen with Mazda in the future?

as we all know, Mazda will officially be making their way into the luxury car market with the next generation of Mazda's and the results look pretty damn impressive.

1. Mazdas compression ignition 2L engine making 250 ft/lb

- do you think they are going to make a 2.5L version of their compression motor? while the 2L will definitely be sufficient, I think a boosted 2.5L is exactly what Mazda should have released a while ago as many of us have been waiting for an engine like this.

2. Speculations on next chassis

many have said that the next mazda 6 will be based on the FWD mazda 3 chassis, but there are sources claiming that the next Mazda 6 will have an FR RWD chassis! this would be a huge move for Mazda and a definite contender for my next vehicle. this link here says that the 6 will be front, all or RWD but the Mazda Shinari (future 6 sedan) concept certainly has the flow and proportions of a RWD car, so I am very much anticipating Mazda's next move.

I know all of this doesnt have much to do with the CX-5 crossover, but the 6 and CX-5 share a lot of parts with each other and will continue to be based off each other, so it makes sense to look at Mazda's concept right now.

3. Opinions on the Mazda Shinari concept styling

I think a few of you in particular will be very happy to see that Mazda has brought the KODO line back into their styling. I think the reason why Mazda got rid of this line on the next CX-5 is to give the car broader shoulders and a cleaner, more aggressive stance while the sedan should be more sleek with better flowing lines. anyways, I think this concept looks absolutely gorgeous and I am nothing short of ecstatic to see the direction Mazda is headed with the styling of their vehicles.

4. Transmission

do you think they will introduce a 7, 8 or 9 speed short ratio transmission?

5. Mazdaspeed

are they releasing any performance models? factory options like a sport package?

Zoom-Zoom

2vma4pj.jpg

2crubuv.jpg

152kwg4.jpg

Last edited:
how about we start a thread to speak on speculation as to what will happen with Mazda in the future?

as we all know, Mazda will officially be making their way into the luxury car market with the next generation of Mazda's and the results look pretty damn impressive.

- do you think they are going to make a 2.5L version of their compression motor? while the 2L will definitely be sufficient, I think a boosted 2.5L is exactly what Mazda should have released a while ago as many of us have been waiting for an engine like this.

They should be releasing a SkyActiv X 2.5L version.

many have said that the next mazda 6 will be based on the FWD mazda 3 chassis, but there are sources claiming that the next Mazda 6 will have an FR RWD chassis! this would be a huge move for Mazda and a definite contender for my next vehicle. this link here says that the 6 will be front, all or RWD but the Mazda Shinari (future 6 sedan) concept certainly has the flow and proportions of a RWD car, so I am very much anticipating Mazda's next move.

I know all of this doesnt have much to do with the CX-5 crossover, but the 6 and CX-5 share a lot of parts with each other and will continue to be based off each other, so it makes sense to look at Mazda's concept right now.

The next Mazda 3 will leave mutli-link rear suspension and move to torsion beam to "improve NVH"

Source: 2019 Mazda 3 to adopt torsion beam rear suspension for refinement

4. Transmission

Possibly but they need to get the gearing right. Useless to have so many gears if the computer module(s) can't figure out which gear to be in especially during varied throttle applications

5. Mazdaspeed

are they releasing any performance models? factory options like a sport package?

Possibly but depends on what power/torque figures they generate from the SkyActiv X and if it then allows or is worth further tuning.

I think a few of you in particular will be very happy to see that Mazda has brought the KODO line back into their styling. I think the reason why Mazda got rid of this line on the next CX-5 is to give the car broader shoulders and a cleaner, more aggressive stance while the sedan should be more sleek with better flowing lines. anyways, I think this concept looks absolutely gorgeous and I am nothing short of ecstatic to see the direction Mazda is headed with the styling of their vehicles.

4. Transmission

5. Mazdaspeed

Zoom-Zoom

2vma4pj.jpg

2crubuv.jpg

152kwg4.jpg

The Mazda6 and Mazda3 already ride on the same chassis. The current gen Mazda6 was based off the Shinari concept that debuted in 2010. The next gen Mazda6 will not be RWD, or based off such platform.

The first gen CX-5 was the first Mazda design that was a Kodo design. Not sure what you meant by brought back Kodo design. Its been used in every new Mazda since the debut of the 2013 CX-5.

Parts sharing and platform sharing with the skyactiv program have helped Mazda build vehicles at a lower cost to help with profitability. Many other manufacturers already do this.

The next Mazda 3 will leave mutli-link rear suspension and move to torsion beam to "improve NVH"

Source: 2019 Mazda 3 to adopt torsion beam rear suspension for refinement

torsion beam for better refinement? what..?

The Mazda6 and Mazda3 already ride on the same chassis. The current gen Mazda6 was based off the Shinari concept that debuted in 2010. The next gen Mazda6 will not be RWD, or based off such platform.

The first gen CX-5 was the first Mazda design that was a Kodo design. Not sure what you meant by “brought back Kodo design”. It’s been used in every new Mazda since the debut of the 2013 CX-5.

Parts sharing and platform sharing with the skyactiv program have helped Mazda build vehicles at a lower cost to help with profitability. Many other manufacturers already do this.

if you note the very first post in this thread, the chart shows that the 3/6 will be updated for 2018 and then revised (gen 2) for 2019. people are saying it will continue to ride on a FWD chassis but a reputable japanese rumour - source claims the next chassis will in fact be an FR platform... or so I hope.

looking at this shinari concept, that is undoubtedly the proportions and shape of a RWD vehicle.

torsion beam for better refinement? what..?.

Sounds like cost cutting to me! I had a torsion beam rear on my 2000 Maxima and it caused the rear to bounce and lose grip driving aggressively. I get I am going back 17 years, but I think handling and ride quality will take a serious hit when this arrives.

What a horrible idea. I've never owned a car without independent rear suspension and doubt I ever will. Even my wife's minivan has multi-link rear suspension and that has very low NVH.

Eh. If you want a luxury car I guess. I don't.

I thought the CX-5 was more based off the 3.

Disagree. Mazda has gotten away from what original KODO design was. I do not like the looks of any of their newer model vehicles, especially the new CX-5. I have seen enough on the road out in the wild now (not on a dealership lot) to cement their absolute ugliness in my mind. Especially that front end and grill. Mazda absolutely butchered the styling of the CX-5 in my opinion. The ND Miatas look good. Lol.

4. Transmission

Hope not. What's the point. It seems most cars don't even gear them appropriately. Might as well just have a god awful CVT at that point. I'll keep my 6-speed.

5. Mazdaspeed

Would be nice.

What a horrible idea. I've never owned a car without independent rear suspension and doubt I ever will. Even my wife's minivan has multi-link rear suspension and that has very low NVH.

In that link, they state the CX-3 has a torsion link design. Honestly, that cars handles just as well, if not better than the current Mazda 3.

2016 Mazda 3 does .84Gs on the skidpad according to Car And Driver

2016 Mazda CX-5 does .82 on the same skidpad according to the same magazine.

The 3 goes from 70-0 in 175 feet, the CX-5 takes 184.

Also, there's no Mazdaspeed anymore. It's now called Mazda Motorsports.

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/

Last edited:
I am troubled by the move to go back to a torsion beam setup... I mean I understand they want to improve NVH, but does any luxury brand put out a car with torsion beam setup? I don't think they do. Which is why I think Mazda can improve NVH and still stick with a multi-link rear suspension setup. I'm no automotive engineer though, so my input means nothing to Mazda suspension engineers.

2016 Mazda 3 does .84Gs on the skidpad according to Car And Driver

2016 Mazda CX-5 does .82 on the same skidpad according to the same magazine.

The 3 goes from 70-0 in 175 feet, the CX-5 takes 184.

Also, there's no Mazdaspeed anymore. It's now called Mazda Motorsports.

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/

All of them have different OEM tires. That is only a fair test if you use the same tires on all the cars

I am troubled by the move to go back to a torsion beam setup... I mean I understand they want to improve NVH, but does any luxury brand put out a car with torsion beam setup? I don't think they do. Which is why I think Mazda can improve NVH and still stick with a multi-link rear suspension setup. I'm no automotive engineer though, so my input means nothing to Mazda suspension engineers.

Torsion beams do not improve handling and they do not improve NVH as far as I know. I guess well see what happens as maybe Mazda does have a trick up its sleeve, but Im surprised that Mazda of all brands is making a switch like this

Eh. If you want a luxury car I guess. I don't.

Disagree. Mazda has gotten away from what original KODO design was. I do not like the looks of any of their newer model vehicles, especially the new CX-5. I have seen enough on the road out in the wild now (not on a dealership lot) to cement their absolute ugliness in my mind. Especially that front end and grill. Mazda absolutely butchered the styling of the CX-5 in my opinion. The ND Miatas look good. Lol.

Hope not. What's the point. It seems most cars don't even gear them appropriately. Might as well just have a god awful CVT at that point. I'll keep my 6-speed..

I think the new CX-5 is a gorgeous car. They tried to make the car look more buff and aggressive so the kodo shoulder haunches would look out of place with their new design language. The square shoulders suit the new styling better IMO but thats becides the point because you can see that they are bringing the KODO shoulder thing back with this shinari concept.

Regarding the transmission - this isnt Chevrolet who tuned their transmissions so poorly that the 9 speed gets the same fuel economy as their 6 speed. If Mazda keeps up their transmission tuning just like they did with the skyactiv 6, I have no doubt that they will build something truly excellent.

The whole point of a 7 speed is to have a slightly shorter first gear, a slightly longer top gear and better gear ratio spacing in between. This helps keep the engine in the powerband while you are rowing through the gears and makes it easier to find a specific gear you may want at a particular speed to start accelerating. Mazda tuned their new transmission so well that the 6 speed simply seems like enough (for the 2.5L) but at this pace, there are only improvements to be made. It will help efficiency and performance if done right and I have no doubt that Mazda can do it properly.

All of them have different OEM tires. That is only a fair test if you use the same tires on all the cars

Yes, completely stock, from the factory like Mazda intended, a CX-5 is slower than a 3. We can put different tires on them and they'll BOTH do better.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that the lighter sleeker car will be quicker.

The point of having a 7 speed transmission is because the powerband is tiny. A '68 corvette has a 4 speed, but it also has ton of torque down low so it's still quick. Not so much with the turbocharged 4 banger in the CX-5.

Last edited:
I am troubled by the move to go back to a torsion beam setup... I mean I understand they want to improve NVH, but does any luxury brand put out a car with torsion beam setup? .

This is being reported for a car with a base price of $20,000. That is not luxury. If they offer a 3 with a nice interior, a perky engine, 40 MPG and a torsion beam rear suspension for a base price of $20,000, I would consider that a win.

This is being reported for a car with a base price of $20,000. That is not luxury. If they offer a 3 with a nice interior, a perky engine, 40 MPG and a torsion beam rear suspension for a base price of $20,000, I would consider that a win.

I really don't think the price was the primary concern here.

The Mazda 3 is a small lightweight car, but Mazda is trying to make it be as quiet as a Lexus.
That requires compromise.

In a CX-5 they have more room to mount the multi-link suspension in a way that limits noise.. not so easy to do in a compact car.

I was a passenger in a 2008ish corolla a while back and I was surprised how quiet it was over rough pavement.
Other cars I've driven/ridden in on that section of road that were much louder than the torsion beam equipped Corolla: CX-5, RAV4, Subaru Outback, Acura TSX and TLX and BMW 5 series.

Whatever direction the car in the first post is going looks like a damn fine direction to me...................

Yes, completely stock, from the factory like Mazda intended, a CX-5 is slower than a 3. We can put different tires on them and they'll BOTH do better.

It doesn't take a mathematician to see that the lighter sleeker car will be quicker.

Back when the CX-5 was released with the 2.0L Mazda bragged about how the new CX-5 is faster around Laguna Seca than the 2013 Mazda 3 equipped with the same engine was.

The point of having a 7 speed transmission is because the powerband is tiny. A '68 corvette has a 4 speed, but it also has ton of torque down low so it's still quick. Not so much with the turbocharged 4 banger in the CX-5.

The current skyactiv already has a very large operational area of good fuel economy.
The skyactiv X takes that to another level

C&D said this:
Engineers tell us that gear ratios have much less of an effect on the X’s efficiency than on the G’s, allowing for shorter gear ratios that enhance responsiveness while simultaneously encouraging the engine to stay in efficient CI mode with lower loads. But isn’t spinning an engine faster bad for fuel economy? Remember, Mazda can feed enough air to the engine via the supercharger at higher rpm to maintain lean enough air/fuel mixtures for the CI event.

Latest posts

Back